What's new

Bought my first vintage Gillette's after 2+ years with Futur - Technique difference

So, I'm a bit perplexed. I've been using my Futur for a little over 2 years now. My first DE razor and it had it's learning curve that included a fair amount of blood. Especially one really nice cut on my nose as I was cleaning the area, got really messy.

These days Kai blades at 3 to 3.5 setting gives me BBS in 2-3 passes with no nicks, weepers etc. and I can be fairly aggressive shaving with it. I.e. long strokes fairly fast and mostly XTG. I feel great after applying Proraso lotion afterwards (shave with Proraso cream).

So I used a Slim last week that I got of Ebay together with a 1976 SS. Used the Kai blades as well to keep some variables the same but it does not shave the same as the Futur for me. Nicked myself, fair amount of weepers etc. Basically I had to use more passes to get to BBS and irritated the crap out of my skin.

I was almost sad because I want to get a few more vintage ones, maybe re-plate one in Rhodium and then maybe hand it to my son when he are old enough to shave, as well as just enjoying great shaves with them.

Did another shave on Sunday with the Futur and it felt better than the Slim again

At first I figured I'm just going to stick with the Futur but then figured there has to be something I'm doing wrong so checked out some shaving videos to see what technique others are using.

One in particular where the Razoremporium video of the comparison Futur, Progress and Fat boy stood out.

The difference I noted was he was using shorter strokes and was holding the razor more delicately. With the Futur I pinch it at the indentation but mostly hold it like the cartridge razors I used to use, probably because of the length of the shaft. I also do 2-3 inch long strokes with it, again like with a cartridge. It works well for me with the Futur which is aggressive so why wouldn't it work with the slim?

This morning I worked harder on my technique. Loaded another Kai into the Slim and did shorter strokes with minimal pressure while really focusing on each one. It felt a ton better and I'm BBS still as I'm writing this 6 hours later.

Obviously my technique was lacking hence my poor initial results with the slim and somehow my Futur technique didn't translate well over to the Slim.

Is this a common issue for others as you switch between razors to have to adapt your technique?

It's not uncommon for me at all, especially since I switch between DE and SE, and all different razor weights and handle lengths. Some razors I have to ride the cap and others I have to ride the bar to achieve good results. I really should keep a notebook on each razor's technique, but that's a little too OCD for me.

Is this a common issue for others as you switch between razors to have to adapt your technique?

Yes, especially from a razor you used exclusively for two years. It takes a couple of days to dial in my SS if I'm away from it for a month.

Gillettes have a different head geometry, weight, balance, blade gap, and exposure than the Futur. Characteristics that take getting adjusted to.

I think the Futur is in a league of its own when it comes to geometry. That thing is a sleek, bulbous monster.

I find my Fatboy (setting 3) to be as mild as my prewar Fat Handled Tech with out sacrificing efficiency or smoothness.

I get to experience a Slim for the first time in a couple days! Excited!

A new razor means a new learning curve for me! I also have to revisit my blade choices as this depends on the razor.

Have you considered trying one of the 1940's SuperSpeeds?

They are smooth, and can offer a comfortable close shave.

Sometimes you have to try different razors to find the one that works for you.

Due to its extreme blade gap, the Futur has an extremely wide range of angles which deliver good efficiency. Post war Gillettes are exactly the opposite. To get a really close shave requires very precise attention to angle which as a Futur user you're simply not used to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B, Sir Jagg3d!

Indeed, the Futur and Slim are great but dis-similar razors!

Congrats on dialing in a comfortable procedure for each!

futur slim.jpg

Top Bottom