What's new

Borkum Riff. any fans?

So, last we heard you were going to order that sampler. Did you pull the trigger on it?

I smoked about half the pouch of BR I bought. I certainly can't say it's the worst tobacco I have smoked. It was definitely the driest pouch full o' haystack I have run into though. Oddly it didn't go up like tinder, it actually burned fairly well. I could see if you went too hot there is huge potential for major tongue burn. But I kept it under control. It was pretty bitter, and did seem to have that 'cigarette tobacco' taste to it. I used to be a cigarette smoker before switching to pipe, so I wasn't completely offended. I could see the potential, and I could even see how someone may enjoy it. I think if it were the same price as Carter Hall or Half & Half I'd probably try it more often. But at twice the price on the shelf it's not worth the extra coin.

That said, I didn't end up getting that sampler. I did place an order with CigarsInternational.com last Thursday and it all came in last night. I did go with a variety of other bacci's I have never tried. (Though I have tried most of them by now!) As soon as I can get a nice portrait I'll post the loot in the Tobaquisitions section. I can say so far everything I ordered is far better than the BR I picked up. I want to be sure I finish off the Bourbon Whiskey pouch before I consider getting more, including another one of the whiskey pouches. I haven't ruled out the sampler though, you really never know when you'll find a gem flavor, even from a 'low end' brand.

After I stock up on some more good stuff, I'll pick up some other aromatics in quantity, I'll mix them into that pouch of BR I have, and let it age for a while, see if that makes it more tolerable in a pipe.

I smoke the Whiskey flavored B/R and have done so for a few decades now. I won't say it is my all-time favorite tobacco but I do enjoy it now and then. I do not find any bite and do enjoy the aroma.

So I got to the point that all the bacci I have is almost out, so I rummaged through my supplies and found the half used pouch of B/R in the back. I stuffed a bowl for a quick smoke the other night, and I'd say it was actually better than when I smoked the first half of the pouch. In all fairness, it was about 2 1/2 months ago that I opened it... so needless to say it had dried out to the point that it was crumbling as I stuffed the bowl, but it smoked almost the same as new. It did remind me a lot of cigarette tobacco at this point. In the end, I'd say it's a smokable blend, but for me, not my first choice of the drug store brands.

Just curious if anyone enjoys Borkum Riff. I have seen the Bourbon Whiskey flavor from time to time but have never tried it. Apparently they have other flavors as well, but I have only found the Bourbon Whiskey in stores. Any of the B&B brotherhood like or use this brand? Or should it be avoided at all costs? I know it's probably a matter of taste, but I think we may all agree if something is garbage. :biggrin1:

Thanks in advance for the opinions!
I smoke borkenriff almost everyday and I love smoking pipe personally its i find it very relaxing when i dont have to relight it but im always relighting so its a bit of an oxy moron i guess. I find BORKENRIFF not very tasty its definitely a love hate relationship, in the pouch it's quite dry and I need to constantly relight it. There is definitely something missing however im not at all experienced to make any professional statements so this is just my opinion. I've been smoking pipe for 10 years now and again i have zero experience simply because I don't know anyone to discuss and smoke with exept my partner of 15 years gary and his best friend Peter who introduced me to pipe because he always has one hanging out his mouth even when he is swimming in the bow river here in calgary in the summertime really reminds me of Popeye the sailor man. Arys uncle Wayne introduced him whe he was younger. I often daydream of sitting with the INDAVIDUAL who owns borkenriff and discussing with them exactly what they could do to make another more expensive more juicier delicious aromatic form like a second virsion of borkenriff. I am a woman of habit and am a loyal customer of borkenriff you will often see me talking/mumbling about how awful the bite is and hoping one day someone can help me Wright a proper letter to borkenriff him self if that is indeed his name im not really sure but if someone could help me notify or teach me a bit I am interested in learning i even would like to do possible zoom group pipe meeting were we all get to gether on Friday or Saturday via zoomed or fb messenger so I can observe the discussion and learn from the gentalmens group. Thank you and I look forward to your response.

BR was my second tobacco purchase some 50+ years ago. Paladin Black Cherry was my first and that didn't go so well. I received advice on my second tobacco and was steered toward BR. At that time, if I remember, it came in a tin. I loved the tin note and liked the tobacco. It took me a long time to smoke that tin. I haven't smoked BR since the early days, but I do have some around somewhere that I purchased one day while feeling nostalgic. Like before, it's taking a long time to smoke it.

This sounds either like a very poor translation program or a complete artificial text/gibberish to me.

I might agree, but wouldn't AI be better at punctuation, spelling, grammar, and paragraph usage?

That isn't a knock against the OP (who very well may be non-English and using a translator)...and even when I'm careful I still make plenty of errors.

Just curious if anyone enjoys Borkum Riff. I have seen the Bourbon Whiskey flavor from time to time but have never tried it. Apparently they have other flavors as well, but I have only found the Bourbon Whiskey in stores. Any of the B&B brotherhood like or use this brand? Or should it be avoided at all costs? I know it's probably a matter of taste, but I think we may all agree if something is garbage. :biggrin1:

Thanks in advance for the opinions!
Late to the post even though I’m a former smoker I still have an affinity for pipe tobacco. Borkum Riff vanilla or black cavendish I personally like. The whiskey was like smoking hot air. Plain borkum riff has a rasin note to it and it’s to be smoked slowly. Some people like it others hate it. It wasn’t my go to. It will bite if smoked to fast. I liked captain black white as my everyday tobacco.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Interesting how what appears to have been a bot has revived this one.

I tried BR a couple times back in its heyday. It wasn't for me.

But their advertisements were among the most inviting. Who wouldn't want a Swedish model draped all over them when they smoked at a lighthouse?

I honestly can't recall whether it was BR or Captain Black in some form that I first tried in a cheap drugstore pipe in 1984. Maybe the image on the pouch of a full-rigged sailing ship caught my attention, or it was the name "Captain" Black. Can't remember. I know my first pipe session, though short, gave me a little bit of a buzz.

Top Bottom