What's new

Bootlegger's Brigands!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Anyone who's a fan of any of the Bootlegger's mixes...post here! Thanks, OkieStubble!

Formulas for all of the mixes will be posted soon.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The Aftershave Wiki is down, but I'll attempt to post the recipes by memory. :)

Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum Equal Parts of: Pinaud Virgin Bay Rum, Master Bay Rum, Superior 70 Bay Rum

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum Add Equal Part of: Pinaud Citrus Musk to above.

Bootlegger's Green Freeze Equal Parts of: Mennen Skin Bracer, Osage Rub

Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast Equal Parts of: Pinaud Lime Sec, Osage Rub

Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia Equal Parts of: Master Bay Rum, Superior 70 Bay Rum, Vito's Colonia Tobacco

Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro Equal Parts of: the above; and add in 1/2 Part Pinaud Special Reserve

Bootlegger's El Dorado. Equal Parts of: Pinaud Special Reserve and Pinaud Classic Vanilla. Add (very important) 1/2 Part Only: English Leather.

They are all very enjoyable, especially if/when used in season. :)

JCarr

@JCarr, I know you really like the Bay Rum and the El Dorado. Have you tried the Lime Bay Rum or Perfecto?

I've tried the Lime Bay Rum. I like it! It's hard to find a lime Bay Rum where the Bay Rum isn't overwhelmed by the lime. Bootlegger's is pretty good. Chiseled Face Bay Rum does a good job of blending it all as well. Black Ship has a lime Bay Rum called Blackbeard. Waiting for that to show up.

The Perfecto and Maduro I tried were from the samples you had kindly mailed to me because of the Vitos Colonia Tobacco being unavailable. Both were ok, but neither WOW'ed me like the regular Bay Rum and El Dorado did. I have to try the others.

Last edited:

JCarr

The Aftershave Wiki is down, but I'll attempt to post the recipes by memory. :)

Bootlegger's Green Freeze Equal Parts of: Mennen Skin Bracer, Osage Rub

Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast Equal Parts of: Pinaud Lime Sec, Osage Rub

They are all very enjoyable, especially if/when used in season. :)

Need to ask this question...when I go on Amazon and search for Osage Rub...I get two hits...one is Clubman and the other is Jeris. The bottles look identical in the picture of the product. Is this the same product just under a different name? Clubman/Lustray/Jeris any others? Looks like Jeris is almost $2 cheaper than the Clubman listing.

OkieStubble

Need to ask this question...when I go on Amazon and search for Osage Rub...I get two hits...one is Clubman and the other is Jeris. The bottles look identical in the picture of the product. Is this the same product just under a different name? Clubman/Lustray/Jeris any others? Looks like Jeris is almost $2 cheaper than the Clubman listing.

I think they are the same product. I have heard some call it Clubman Osage Rub and others call it Jeris Osage Rub also. Only reason I can think that is, is Osage Rub has been around forever, and Clubman took over Sponsorship rights or something I assume.

OkieStubble

I've tried the Lime Bay Rum. I like it! It's hard to find a lime Bay Rum where the Bay Rum isn't overwhelmed by the lime. Bootlegger's is pretty good. Chiseled Face Bay Rum does a good job of blending it all as well. Black Ship has a lime Bay Rum called Blackbeard. Waiting for that to show up.

The Perfecto and Maduro I tried were from the samples you had kindly mailed to me because of the Vitos Colonia Tobacco being unavailable. Both were ok, but neither WOW'ed me like the regular Bay Rum and El Dorado did. I have to try the others.

Some people are not big on Tobacco scents. Before Vito's Tobacco became unobtainium, The Perfecto's were very popular and had many positive reviews. I have tried a few substitutes to replace the Vito's, but they just didn't quite do it. Virginia Perfecto is more of a simple, clean & light type of Bay Rum, without spices or clove, just an natural type Bay Rum foundation, with hints of Orange Citrus and Green Tobacco Flower.

JCarr

Some people are not big on Tobacco scents. Before Vito's Tobacco became unobtainium, The Perfecto's were very popular and had many positive reviews. I have tried a few substitutes to replace the Vito's, but they just didn't quite do it. Virginia Perfecto is more of a simple, clean & light type of Bay Rum, without spices or clove, just an natural type Bay Rum foundation, with hints of Orange Citrus and Green Tobacco Flower.

I recall you had mentioned that Cuba Orange had a similar scent profile to Vitos Colonia Tobacco. Were you ever able to determine, approximately, how much of that to use? It's hard because that comes in a cologne spray bottle which is not easy to dismantle.

OkieStubble

I recall you had mentioned that Cuba Orange had a similar scent profile to Vitos Colonia Tobacco. Were you ever able to determine, approximately, how much of that to use? It's hard because that comes in a cologne spray bottle which is not easy to dismantle.

Yes, Cuba Orange is the closest thing I have found in scent profile to the Vito's Tobacco. The spray bottle does make it very hard to measure and it being cologne strength, makes it want to overpower the mix and neutralize or drown out, the Bay Rum foundation.

My thinking is, if the Cuba Orange could first, be watered down to an aftershave strength before it is mixed, then it would be the perfect candidate to replace the Vito's. But thinning down the cologne strength, in order to let the Bay Rum foundation shine thru, is easier said then done.

Another idea would be to convince a wet shaving vendor who is in the lower 48, to import and stock Vito's Colonia Tobacco. :)

JCarr

Yes, Cuba Orange is the closest thing I have found in scent profile to the Vito's Tobacco. The spray bottle does make it very hard to measure and it being cologne strength, makes it want to overpower the mix and neutralize or drown out, the Bay Rum foundation.

My thinking is, if the Cuba Orange could first, be watered down to an aftershave strength before it is mixed, then it would be the perfect candidate to replace the Vito's. But thinning down the cologne strength, in order to let the Bay Rum foundation shine thru, is easier said then done.

Another idea would be to convince a wet shaving vendor who is in the lower 48, to import and stock Vito's Colonia Tobacco. :)

I wonder why it's not stocked at all. Other Vito's products are.

OkieStubble

Used El Dorado today...amazing scent.

I like all of the individual aftershaves that make El Dorado by themselves. But when deciding to use any of them, I just ask myself why? And splash on El Dorado. :) Sometimes if I do the rare shave at night just before bed, I will splash on the light, easy scent of Pinaud's Classic Vanilla, but I don't think I have used Special Reserve or modern English Leather since El Dorado was created.

JCarr

I like all of the individual aftershaves that make El Dorado by themselves. But when deciding to use any of them, I just ask myself why? And splash on El Dorado. :) Sometimes if I do the rare shave at night just before bed, I will splash on the light, easy scent of Pinaud's Classic Vanilla, but I don't think I have used Special Reserve or modern English Leather since El Dorado was created.

Yeah, since mixing and using El Dorado, I don't have any desire to use any of its ingredients on their own.

Last edited:

JCarr

I was able to mix up a batch of the Lime Bay Rum...had enough ingredients left over to do it. It's nice! Definitely a good warm weather scent.

OkieStubble

I was able to mix up a batch of the Lime Bay Rum...had enough ingredients left over to do it. It's nice! Definitely a good warm weather scent.

Oh snap! I love Bootlegger’s Lime Bay Rum! :). It’s definitely a different kind of lime bay rum than other brands. Instead of a darker earthier lime, it’s a brighter, pezzier, soda pop type lime.

But it works! :)

JCarr

Oh snap! I love Bootlegger’s Lime Bay Rum! :). It’s definitely a different kind of lime bay rum than other brands. Instead of a darker earthier lime, it’s a brighter, pezzier, soda pop type lime.

But it works! :)

Exactly! Most Lime Bay Rums I've encountered are very Lime forward with very little Bay Rum coming through...which is another thing I like about the Bootlegger's...some of the Bay Rum comes through.

OkieStubble

Exactly! Most Lime Bay Rums I've encountered are very Lime forward with very little Bay Rum coming through...which is another thing I like about the Bootlegger's...some of the Bay Rum comes through.

Agreed. Most other lime bay rums are usually just the non spicy versions of bay oil and lime. I decided just to add a lime to the spicyness of my original bay rum. I tried many limes before selecting Pinaud’s lime citrus musk.

But while the darker earthier limes work great with non spicy bay rums, it was clear and obvious to me, that the brightness of the citrus musk “synergized”. With the spicyness of my original bay rum. And brightened the entire mix.

It is one of my favorite Bootlegger’s.

Last edited:
I was excited to mix a batch of Bootleggers Bay Rum, but I can't find Superior 70 anywhere. Does anyone know of a source?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom