What's new

Boot Brands to avoid?

I've owned 2 pair of $150ish timerlands and each lasted about 7 years. I wear them only in fall/winter when I'm wearing jeans. I wear them every day and go on hikes and camping and work so they get dirty. I clean them and try to waterproof and polish regularly. I know everyone has their personal favs from looking through threads. But what I'm wondering is if any of the brands I'm exploring should be avoided.

I'd like a boot that if I take care of and have resoled can get 20 years or more out of. I have a 15 year old leather coat that still looks great and one that is 2 years old I'm still "breaking in". They get better looking with age b/c they're quality and I take care of them. Same goes for my 15 year old allen edmond dress shoes. I want the same for my boots.

I'm looking ONLY at boots with goodyear welts. Brands I've looked at are Redwing, Frye, and Danner. Frye's seem to be more fashionable and the other 2 more like work boots. Will I be disappointed in any of these brands? Can I take a pair of $500 Frye's into the mud for a weekend of camping and expect to be no worse for the wear if I clean them after? Anyone have any horror stories from these 3?

I can only tell you that I have had great luck with RedWing, and PHENOMENAL luck with Danner. I have had multiple pairs of both for work and play. I have never worn Frye.

RedWing I have and buy, they are good boots, not really fashionable. The Danner brand used to be what I bought but to me their quality has gone down a bit over the recent past. Frye is not a brand that I have seen much and I don't know anyone who has them, so I will leave that to someone else.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the quality of either of the brands I know, they will both last for many years and can be resoled easily. On the plus side I don't think you would think twice about taken either of these into the mud! They are made for that purpose!

I don't know any off hand that should be AVOIDED. By specifically looking for a Goodyear welted boot, you pretty much count out any sub par brand. I don't think many companies go through the effort of making a Goodyear welt (or any of the other more labor intensive welting styles) on a cheap boot.

From what I can tell about Frye, they make some boots in the US with a Goodyear welt. Others (usually the more fashion boots/shoes) are not as high quality and are made overseas.

If its good leather, you shouldn't have any problem taking a good boot out in the elements. Just make sure they get dried and cleaned properly at the end of the journey. Wipe off any dirt and grime, let them air dry inside. Don't subject them to any heat to dry them faster. Once they are dirt free and dry, treat them with a leather conditioner, and keep them on shoe trees. Treat the leather uppers nice, and resole when needed.

Chippewa is another brand to look at. As well as the LL Bean Katahdin. The latter is made by Chippewa for LL Bean. You could also look at Whites boots. Those will be in the same "work style" boots. They will look fine with jeans as long as they are kept clean, but should serve fine as a light hiker too.

There are a few other more fashion brands like Alden, Oak Street, Allen Edmonds, Viberg. From those companies, you would want to avoid any of the boots with a leather sole. All of the brands I mentioned should have some offering with a rubber, or even a lug sole. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Allen Edmonds Longbranch boots as a light hiker. They are not going to be waterproof. I'm not going to stomp in puddles, or ford streams with them. So far, I've only treated these boots with the AE leather cleaner/conditioner. I may look at some sort of water proofer come winter. No goodyear welted boot will be waterproof for that matter as water can seep in through the welt. You can water proof the leather, but if you step IN a puddle that goes up to your ankle, water will find its way in.

Last edited:
Good thread, asks and answers a lot of my questions as well!

Have checked out Red Wings and Frye's in a brick and mortar and the Red Wings are extremely stiff soled, do they ever break-in to a comfortable great for hiking-around-town boot or remain stiff as just out of the box?

Any or all accomodating for orthotics?

Thanks!
dave

I have several pair of Allen Edmond boots, mostly dressier types but very comfortable and long wearing. Next are some semi custom low boots from Russell Moccasin which are extremely comfortable. Danner if you watch the model and get made in US versions are good. PI have some old military jump styles, Cocharan I think from my USAF days, bosh regular and cold weather which although not worn much are in great shape after 30 years.

I have an old pair of Vasque mid weigh roc climbing boots I bought in 1972 when I was stationed in Turkey and needed something with a better sole for hunting out in the mountains there. Combat boots at the time had soles not made for that type terrain. They are still in good shape and I wear them on occasion.

I don't know any off hand that should be AVOIDED. By specifically looking for a Goodyear welted boot, you pretty much count out any sub par brand. I don't think many companies go through the effort of making a Goodyear welt (or any of the other more labor intensive welting styles) on a cheap boot.

From what I can tell about Frye, they make some boots in the US with a Goodyear welt. Others (usually the more fashion boots/shoes) are not as high quality and are made overseas.

If its good leather, you shouldn't have any problem taking a good boot out in the elements. Just make sure they get dried and cleaned properly at the end of the journey. Wipe off any dirt and grime, let them air dry inside. Don't subject them to any heat to dry them faster. Once they are dirt free and dry, treat them with a leather conditioner, and keep them on shoe trees. Treat the leather uppers nice, and resole when needed.

Chippewa is another brand to look at. As well as the LL Bean Katahdin. The latter is made by Chippewa for LL Bean. You could also look at Whites boots. Those will be in the same "work style" boots. They will look fine with jeans as long as they are kept clean, but should serve fine as a light hiker too.

There are a few other more fashion brands like Alden, Oak Street, Allen Edmonds, Viberg. From those companies, you would want to avoid any of the boots with a leather sole. All of the brands I mentioned should have some offering with a rubber, or even a lug sole. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Allen Edmonds Longbranch boots as a light hiker. They are not going to be waterproof. I'm not going to stomp in some puddles, or ford streams with them. So far, I've only treated these boots with the AE leather cleaner/conditioner. I may look at some sort of water proofer come winter. No goodyear welted boot will be waterproof for that matter as water can seep in through the welt. You can water proof the leather, but if you step IN a puddle that goes up to your ankle, water will find its way in.

I have some of the Allen Edmonds with leather soles, Dalton and Fifth Avenue and they are better than low quarter dress shoes in inclement weather. If I know my walk will be across a parking lot with a lot of puddles, or if it will be raining hard I will go for the Longbranch with the Vibgram sole.

I have some of the Allen Edmonds with leather soles, Dalton and Fifth Avenue and they are better than low quarter dress shoes in inclement weather. If I know my walk will be across a parking lot with a lot of puddles, or if it will be raining hard I will go for the Longbranch with the Vibgram sole.
Yea, the boots are definitely better than a low regular shoe. One plus about the Dalton is that it has a butyl leather sole. Its a little harder wearing than a single leather sole, and repels water much better.

There are a few other more fashion brands like Alden, Oak Street, Allen Edmonds, Viberg. From those companies, you would want to avoid any of the boots with a leather sole. All of the brands I mentioned should have some offering with a rubber, or even a lug sole. I wouldn't hesitate to use my Allen Edmonds Longbranch boots as a light hiker. They are not going to be waterproof. I'm not going to stomp in puddles, or ford streams with them. So far, I've only treated these boots with the AE leather cleaner/conditioner. I may look at some sort of water proofer come winter. No goodyear welted boot will be waterproof for that matter as water can seep in through the welt. You can water proof the leather, but if you step IN a puddle that goes up to your ankle, water will find its way in.

+1. Excellent advice. The Goodyear welt does appear to be key IMO. That is true for shoes also (which is what I tend to wear.) :thumbup1:

I own 3 pairs of Red Wings and a pair of Danners. The Red Wings have been great and I wear them the most. The RWs are all moc toe, two heritage and one with a safety toe for work. The Danners are the Bull Run Cristy and I really like them. I would recommend trying all of them on first if you can. The Red Wings run a little large, usually a half size. The Danner I feel I could go a full size down and be fine, but may have to go with the EE width.

Another option would be Thorogood. Not sure if there's any style you like, but I love moc toes and theirs look fantastic.

Couple years ago, I read a thread over at styleforum where the reviewer (cranes) used his wolverine/Allen Edmonds based boot(s) 1k mile series and rode them pretty hard through some less than desirable environments and it was a positive ending. Granted the mid soles and soles aren't going to be foam/rubber, but it was a very interesting read.

If its good leather, you shouldn't have any problem taking a good boot out in the elements. Just make sure they get dried and cleaned properly at the end of the journey. Wipe off any dirt and grime, let them air dry inside. Don't subject them to any heat to dry them faster. Once they are dirt free and dry, treat them with a leather conditioner, and keep them on shoe trees. Treat the l
Ieather uppers nice, and resole when needed.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
$redwing_606_boots.jpgThe Red Wing 606 boots I bought two years ago are the best money I EVER spent on footwear.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good thread, asks and answers a lot of my questions as well!

Have checked out Red Wings and Frye's in a brick and mortar and the Red Wings are extremely stiff soled, do they ever break-in to a comfortable great for hiking-around-town boot or remain stiff as just out of the box?

Any or all accomodating for orthotics?

Thanks!
dave

After the first 8 hour day in my 606s, the extreme stiffness goes away. They get comfortable pretty quick. Mine are two years old now, and I even wear them some of my off days. I have never worn a work boot on a day off until I got these.

Just to bring things full circle I ended up 1) getting a pair of Frye boots and 2) using saddle soap, lexol, conditioner, and snow seal on my old timberlands before taking them to the cobbler to get new soles. I'll use the old timerlands when I know I'm going to be in some muck and dirt and I won't worry about them.

As a side note I got a pair of Frye's in the store and they were the best filling things on my feet ever. I didn't know boots could be so comfortable. The salesperson highly encouraged me to go down a half size since I still had room in the toe box but they were just a touch snug elsewhere. Said that's the key b/c they'll break in and conform to my foot better and be even more comfortable.

Does that seem right? I will only be wearing inside the house for a while to see if this is the case so that if not I can take back and get the half size larger.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just to bring things full circle I ended up 1) getting a pair of Frye boots and 2) using saddle soap, lexol, conditioner, and snow seal on my old timberlands before taking them to the cobbler to get new soles. I'll use the old timerlands when I know I'm going to be in some muck and dirt and I won't worry about them.

As a side note I got a pair of Frye's in the store and they were the best filling things on my feet ever. I didn't know boots could be so comfortable. The salesperson highly encouraged me to go down a half size since I still had room in the toe box but they were just a touch snug elsewhere. Said that's the key b/c they'll break in and conform to my foot better and be even more comfortable.

Does that seem right? I will only be wearing inside the house for a while to see if this is the case so that if not I can take back and get the half size larger.

A quality leather will stretch and form a bit. A little tightness is to be expected at first.

I really like Redwings. Chippewas always seemed too chunky and the Danners too hunter/military for my taste. I have had luck with WORX boots which I believe are the red headed step-child of Redwings.

I had forgotten, a few years back I got a pair of Danner's , kind of a suede with nylon mesh. A few months later they put out some special sale for a couple of days and a rock bottom price so I picked up a spare pair ( I wear a very narrow width and they just happened to have them ) A couple of months later they came out with a model in a vintage leather, a grey pebble grain with a soft white sole. Those have to be the most comfortable I have.

I have a pair of Danner hiking boots I bought in 1992. The tongue in one of the boots was chewed by a puppy who passed away long ago. The soles are Vibram and while there are little divots missing in the Vibram, the soles are still fully functional. For hiking, I LOVE these boots. Have no idea if they're still made to the same quality but I'm sticking with the brand for hiking boots.

I will say I'm a little wary of Justin Boots. I have a pair of steel toed cowboy boots I bought about a year ago. The leather on them and the sole on them are fine but there's a plastic seem on both boots where the plastic has peeled off. They were worth the price, but not the quality I'd expect from a pair of work boots.

Justin boots do not seem to be the same as they were 20-30-40 or so years ago. I got my first pair back in the early 60's and it seemed as though I could not wear them out, the last ones I got back in the 80's were not nearly as good.

Top Bottom