What's new

Boker H. & Co. Bicycle Race

Morning, gents!

My mother-in-law showed me a really cool find of hers over the weekend, a Boker H. & Co. Bicycle Race straight razor. It dates anywhere from 1890 to 1925, I believe, and the blade is in darned good condition. The etching of the scene looks good and it has the original case, which is taped off at one end and the other end it missing, but the embossing on the box looks good as well as the rest of it.

However, one of the scales is broken. There's not a piece missing, it's just cracked through and separated at one end.

They're plain scales, black. I wanted to know about the possibility of restoring the scale and the razor, how to go about it and the ultimate effect on its value.

Naturally, it'd just be a cool collectable to have in the family, but it would be nice if we could preserve the overall value of the razor. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Just to add: Up to this point, I've collected exclusively safety razors. I don't know anything about straights.

I had to look it up: The scales are celluloid. The break is on the left scale toward the blade end, close to — but not on — the pin. I'll try to post pictures this week.

And now, a few photos:

$Bicycle.jpg$Scales.jpg$Scales2.jpg

You can see the damage to the scales here.

Just a couple more:

$Boker.jpg$Razor, back.jpg$Germany.jpg
I've got photos of the case, too, just in case you're not overloaded with images as it is.

IMHO those scales are not salvageable however I consider myself a beginner when it comes to repairing scales.. The more experienced. Restorers may give more insight.

As the break is at the wedge end I think you could use epoxy or CA to glue the break and for additional strength then glue the scale to the wedge. I would remove the pin to do this so that you can then clean and polish the whole area. You might also want to do the same wedge gluing on the other scale making sure that everything lines up by using a piece of rod to position everything - remove the rod before the glue sets. This way, when you re-pin, you don't need a great deal of pressure - just a gentle peening, as the wedge and scales will be held fast anyway.

I'd rather not simply epoxy and go, given the age of the razor. While I'd like to have this restored for utility, I'm also strongly considering collectable and antique value.

According to Maggard Razors' website, he doesn't accept restoration projects at the moment. I think this kind of fits his criteria for straight restoration: It's a unique razor, there's no significant rust anywhere, I believe it's a 7/8 and it's something I'd like to have some sentimental value in the family.

I also intend to send this to a professional, I guess I should have mentioned that first. I suppose I'm looking for either recommendations to an experienced restoration outfit as well as opinions on whether this is a good candidate for such a job.

Well it's certainly good for a restore - why not post an ad or look on the vendor section for a local restorer? In terms of antique value - I don't think you will ever achieve much more than the cost of having ir restored, but that's not the point really. The real value is in getting it to a usable condition and then using it.

I had one of these razors and just recently sold it. The etch on them is so detailed. That crack should be a pretty easy repair. The scales are Bakelite, should just be able to epoxy that piece back on sand it smooth and repin it.

There are many very talented restorers here. Just check out the hobbiest thread for some examples of their work. The blade doesn't need anything more than a light polish so it should clean up like new I would think.

Top Bottom