What's new

Boar vs Badger brush

I've been told to use the boar brush with MWF, Stirling and other "hard soaps". However I've not been told to use the badger exclusively with particular soap types.

So my question is twofold:

1. Are badgers to be the preferred brush with softer soaps such as proraso, soap commander, etc.?

2. If boars are preferred in many soaps, why bother with a badger brush at all?

Thanks

Either can do the job. It's all about preference and within badgers, the type of badger, the size, the loft, backbone etc all come into factor.

Some folks like Badger for the feel. Some people like boar. It's a YMMV. You just need to try and see what fits you.

Don't forget about Horsehair and synthetics too. :)

I don't really bother with any of that this kind of brush for that kind of soap stuff. I mostly just use whatever strikes my fancy at the time I choose what to shave with. Most of the time that is badger,even for MWF.

The Badger is the preferred type often because it's more expensive and softer. :)

If you wet the soap you can use any brush. A boar brush is stiffer and so it might be recommended for hard soap just for that reason. Some badger brushes have more backbone and are a little stiffer than some other badger brushes.

Personally I just use a boar brush for everything. That's mainly just because I feel like I'm using a powder puff with a badger brush. :)

Reactions: tm3
I usually just grab a brush. Boar, badger, or synthetic. The only difference is sometimes a softer brush may need to be loaded a little longer. I don't buy into the "boar for this" " badger for that" stuff. There may be a bit of a learning curve for certain brushes with different products, but they all work fine. I face lather so take that into account.

Personal preference. Some people like the softness of badger, others like the coarseness of boar. Given the choice, I personally prefer boar. IMO, its just as soft as badger once you break it in and it is a bit stiffer, so you can work it into your beard a little bit better.

Personal preference. Some people like the softness of badger, others like the coarseness of boar. Given the choice, I personally prefer boar. IMO, its just as soft as badger once you break it in and it is a bit stiffer, so you can work it into your beard a little bit better.

This ^^^ If you get a Semogue they are MUCH softer than other boar bristle brushes. As an alternative you can also look at a more "scritchy" badger brush.

I would answer, "No," to both questions. This is totally YMMV.

I actually prefer badgers and hard soaps. However, some days I feel like using my old blond boar. It is entirely a question of taste IMHO.

I use a badger when I want to increase the likelihood of a failed scuttle of lather, or when I want to include brush ejected speed bumps on my face to navigate. Keeps me on my toes.

As said it is very much a matter of YMMV. The reason for the recommendation of boar brushes with hard soaps is that it is thought a stiff bristled boar brush will pick up/scratch/load soap easier from a hard puck then a softer badger will. I haven't really found this to be the case but the boar will generally take a bit less time to load than the badger but in the end they both get to the same place. Boars and especially the new gen synthetics are very hard brushes to beat for the money though. My thoughts are that badgers are more for folks that want to bring a bit of perceived luxury to their shave process.

I use Semogue 830 boar brush with Valobra and Italian type soaps, due to the fact that the Italian barbers seem to have been using them for decades.
With MWF I'm getting use a finest or best badger brush, better than silvertip or boar, cause none of this take enough soap from the puck; in the case of boar one, I don't like the way it doesn't retain enough soap for two passes, and I have to charge again.
That what I prefer now. Synthetics aren't for me, cause I dislike how they behave.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

I own boar, horsehair, and synthetic brushes. I can make a great lather with any brush. I find myself reaching for the two boars I have, Semogue 830 & Proraso Professional Boar, more than my other brushes. Boars can take some time to become broken in, but once they are broken in they are wonderful.

My least favorite is my synthetic, but i'm getting better with it. I find that I have to press it down a good bit and splay it when I lather.

Boar is stiffer as a rule, but mine (the Van Der Hagen that fell apart and my new home-made handle with Ace Shaving knot) are already softer on my face than a pure badger -- the pure badger knots are almost always trimmed to shape, so the individual hairs are very prickly. The badger is floppier and holds more lather, but I get plenty for three passes with my boar brush on Williams.

Purely personal preference as far as I'm concerned. The badger is nice, and I might like them better if I used my Silvertip (Virginian Sheng 22mm knot in a handle I made), but for my regular daily shave I'd be happy with the boar brush and don't really need another.

Peter

Last edited:
Either can do the job. It's all about preference and within badgers, the type of badger, the size, the loft, backbone etc all come into factor.

Some folks like Badger for the feel. Some people like boar. It's a YMMV. You just need to try and see what fits you.

Don't forget about Horsehair and synthetics too. :)

+1 Well written.

It is best to try out all of the types; boar, horse, badger, and synthetic to find out which ones work best for you.

There are a lot of people that don't believe a boar can be as soft as a badger and in some cases softer. My Semogue 610 is incredibly soft.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm in the "any brush for any product" camp. If you're using a hard soap a stiffer brush might load faster, but I'm not in that big of a hurry.

I use one of my SOC boars almost every day. They have very soft tips and I don't like small brushes.

I occasionally use a Kent BK8, which has tips so soft it should be illegal.

Whatever floats your boat.

Top Bottom