What's new

Bloody Mary

Sterling Archer said:
For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.
Something a bit old school about a bloody mary made me wonder if anyone here ever partakes? Personally never have, but I've had V8 and could imagine it spiced up. I'm trying to find a place that does them fresh for the next morning after.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
They are a popular morning drink in New Orleans, along with Mimosas for the ladies. Look for places with early bird specials. I used to tend bar in a place that had $1 Bloody Marys from 7:00 til noon. NOT the best bloody mary but cheap enough. If there was a long line to get into the restaurant next door I would just hang a sign out on our door and take their business. After 5 or 6 bloody marys it is easy to forget all about breakfast, especially when I pass around the menu for my favorite 24hr deli that delivers anywhere in the quarter. I figure if the place has a line to get in the door, they don't need all that business, anyway, and the tourists shouldn't be made to stand out there without a drink in hand.

A bloody mary is all about the non-alcohol ingredients. Use expensive vodka or rotgut $6/bottle swill... it's all the same. But don't use cheap generic tomato juice. I do like using V-8. Watch the garlic, worcestershire, and salt. It is easy to ruin a bloody mary by making it unpleasantly punguent. I don't use ANY garlic. It is too easy to overpower the other flavors and aromas. A little Lawry's is nice, and it does have a trace of garlic, just about right. The veggies are important. A celery stick, a nice fat olive, and a lime wedge is the minimum. I like to add a pickled okra and a pickled quail egg. Extra olive? SURE! Don't make it too spicy. The customer can add tobasco if desired, but you can't take too much out of it.

My wife's recipe:

• 2 1/2 ounces of vodka
  • 3 ounces of Tomato Juice
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2-4 dashes of Tabasco Sauce (to taste)
  • Some pepper (white and black)
  • Some celery salt.
  • 1/2 or more of Horseradish (fresh)
  • Tiny bit of fresh lime juice
  • A drop or two of the liquid from a jar of green olives.

Put the above ingredients in a shaker. Shake above ingredients with ice. Put in a large glass and garnish with a lime wedge, celery stick, and three large olives.

My wife has made some variants of the above recipe using gin or white rum in the place of vodka. Makes the drink different but still good.

A good bloody Mary is one of the most satisfying cocktails out there. A cocktail perfect for Saturday/Brunch or an early football tailgate or game. The two most important factors in a successful BM are fresh tomato juice and the correct Horsradish to liquid ratio. Those are the two ingredients that matter.

Top Bottom