What's new

Blade Wars: Feather vs. Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russian Greens)

Blade Wars: Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum Coated vs. Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless

This blade war pits one of the most discussed blades in the wet-shaving community against one that does not seem to get as much attention as the others in its line. The Feather Hi-Stainless is manufactured in Japan. It is often called the sharpest blade in the world. I was shocked to see 100 for sale on Amazon for $23.29, as I paid over $40 for a hundred. The Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless (or Russian Greens) cost $16.75 on Amazon. There are two Gillette 7 O’clock blades that come in green boxes. One, the Permasharp Stainless, is made in India. The Super Stainless that I will use in this blade war is made in Russia.

My razors for this blade war will be two Razorock Proteges, which have fairly mild heads and somewhat short stainless steel handles. The heads are similar to the Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89. I rate them about a 4/10 in aggressiveness. I’ll color the cap of one razor with a blue Sharpie, but will not know which blade is in which razor. I’ll shave half of my face with each razor, and switch sides with each subsequent shave. I intend for the competition to last for six half-face shaves, but will let it go longer if there isn’t a clear winner and I’m not getting irritated.

As we go, I’ll share what I experience and invite you to comment. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Do you think this one is a mismatch? Which blade do you think will win the blade war between Feather and the Russian Greens?

Last edited:
I've never used the 7 o'clock greens yet, so I can compare to Feather. Are the greens as nice as the yellows?

I've never used the 7 o'clock greens yet, so I can compare to Feather. Are the greens as nice as the yellows?

I've only tried them a few times. I find them a little smoother than the yellows, and very sharp - but not as long lasting. We'll find out if my impressions are accurate during the blind test.

I don't mind Feather blades, but when mine are gone, they're gone - I begrudge paying €20,00/100 for blades that are only good for 4 shaves each before going blunt, when I can buy Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Green blades for half the price and I can still get 4 good shaves per blade out of them.
I haven't tried Russian Gillette 7 O'Clock Green blades, but if they're anything like Indian 7 O'Clock Green, I'd probably like them.
IMHO Gillette 7 O'Clock Green will win

The Russian 7 o'clock Super Stainless is my go-to blade. My ATT R1 loves them and they are fantastic in my Merkur Progress. Unquestionably a smooth, sharp blade. Me and the Feather never really bonded. It sounds like a fair fight and looking forward to your critique.

Shave 1
Face lather with Proraso Green (tub)
blue razor=right side, silver razor=left side

Pass 1 - blue: smooth, clean pass. I could not feel anything, as the blade mowed right through stubble.
silver: great pass. Could feel blade as it cut whiskers. Not quite as effortlessly sharp as blue.

Pass 2 - Great pass from both razors. Again, I couldn't feel the blue, as it blew right through the whiskers. I could feel the silver blade. I see a little blood under my nose on the right (blue) side, but don't know how it got there, as I didn't feel a thing.

Pass 3 - Blue: this is the first time I noticed the blade. Very little resistance as it sliced through what whiskers remained on my face. Silver: Again I could feel the blade as it cut through the whiskers. A little more resistance than with the blue, but still very smooth and effective.

Notes: I wish you could feel like I do right now. What a shave. I followed with some homemade menthol aftershave (alcohol, witch hazel, glycerin, castor oil, spearmint and eucalyptus essential oils, and a dash of menthol crystals.) Then I finished with some Nivea Men Sensitive balm. Both sides of my face are baby smooth, irritation free, and feeling like a million bucks. Wow, what a shave!

Shave 2
silver razor = right side, blue razor = left side

Pass 1 - Sliver: zoomed right through my stubble. Like the blue during the first shave, I could barely tell there was a blade in the razor.
Blue: In a turn around, I could feel ever so slight resistance from the blue razor during the first pass.

Pass 2 - Blue: I could feel very slight resistance as this sharp blade did its job. Silver: Even less resistance than the blue.

I have two small weepers on the left (blue) side of my upper neck area.

I intended to do three passes, but my shave is so close after two, I don't find it necessary. Both sides are very close and clean.

Finished with a good splash of Florida Water, the sting of which made me glad I didn't do a third pass!

Shave 3
right side=blue, left side=silver
I did a quick preshave by wetting my face, rubbing in Noxcema, then face lathering with Maca Root. I let the lather sit on my face for a minute or two, then added a little water to get the lather where I like it.

Pass 1 - Both razors hummed right along. The combination of a slick cream and these sharp blades is great. Both razors provided satisfying audio feedback, with the silver being slightly higher in pitch than the blue.

Pass 2 - Both razors glided right along. Lovely pass. I got another weeper from the blue - this time under my nose.

Pass 3 - Big difference. The blue razor's pass was smooth and easy. The silver pass was good, but there was considerable more drag than with the blue.

My face is smooth and clean. Neither side appears to have a closer shave than the other. I followed with some Pinaud Bay Rum and finished with Lubriderm 3-in-One Mens Moisturizer. Good summertime shave today.

Last edited:

Shave 4

silver=right side, blue=left side
face lathered with Razorock XXX

Pass 1 - Both razors were lovely. Very slight resistance from both razors. I got another nick from the blue razor, but I didn't take this one personally. I had a little bump on my face. Had one. Blue took care of it.

Pass 2 - Silver: a little more resistance than the first pass. Blue: Just as smooth as the first pass.

Pass 3: Silver: exceptionally smooth. In a role reversal, I felt some drag/resistance with the blue razor.

I have a very close shave, and maybe it's just my imagination, but the right (silver) side may be microscopically closer.

Finished with some Thayers Lemon and a splash of Pinaud Citrus Musk. Another first-rate shave.

Top Bottom