What's new

Blackland Sabre

[waving the "personal opinion" flag...]

If you're getting good shaves with your vintage Gems, then the Sabre isn't going to take things too much farther for you. On the one hand you've got the hot ticket (and I'm a little jealous :) ).

On the other hand, the Sabre is a stunning example of functional minimalism in design. If buying a great shave tool and having it around to use in addition to your other razors is attractive to you, then I highly encourage it. (This is B&B, after all...) If you do that I think you might consider getting both the L1 and L2 plates because the razor is just that much better with options.

I bought mine because I was getting frustrated with some of the vintage Gem shaves I was getting. I was getting better shaves from the "moderns" than from the vintage -- ATT G1 with mods, PAA Starling V2OC -- and wanted to try another modern to see if it was even better. The Sabre isn't the only option out there, but for me it really brought some great shaves.

As I've said elsewhere here, the Sabre "put a period at the end of the sentence" in my Gem search.

O.H.
Thank you, O.H. This is helpful and is nudging me toward the purchase decision...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, O.H. This is helpful and is nudging me toward the purchase decision...
Here's some more temptation for you:
20210222_173148~2.jpg

:cool:

I'll assist with the temptation. This arrived today, will give it a go this weekend after I finish up a blade in another razor.

View attachment 1227340
Thanks - I am still on the fence, but wobbling. I bought nearly all the Above the Tie baseplates/heads and two handles a few years back, but I mostly only use the R1 plate. That was a large outlay of coin for something that I use only occasionally (since I have too many other razors that I like in my rotation).

Also, can anyone weigh in on which handle is gripper - the machined or polished, or does it not make a difference? Thank you.

I just used the Sabre for the first time and woohoo was that a smooth shave! The blade was a Personna GEM SS PTFE and I used the level 1 plate. Much like @Jasper J. I can see this replacing my regular razor, in my case a titanium Timeless .68 scalloped.

The most amazing part was how the razor handled the corners of my mouth and on either side of my adams apple. Those are the only two areas where I occasionally get tugging or weepers if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing with the Timeless when going xtg or atg. Not so with the Sabre. It was so smooth on both areas. For folks that have issues with blade chatter I can't recommend this razor enough. It does require a steeper angle than most, if not all, de razors though.

The only drawback from my perspective is getting right under the nose. Even with the innovative design of the Sabre the head is still larger than most de razors. It wasn't really a problem though. Usually I go wtg and then atg on my upper lip. This time I had to go xtg right under my nose on the first pass and then I did the atg pass next. Not a big deal imo for such a smooth shaver.

This was unquestionably my best first shave with a new razor. I liked it so much I went ahead and ordered the stand before the March GRUME starts tomorrow :c1: . This razor, imo, is deserving of far more attention than it gets. I see now why there are so few negative comments about it.

@chuckd I've only used machined razors but I had no problem holding onto the Sabre. I think you'd be well served by either. Go with whichever aesthetic you prefer and get the smoothest shave of your life 😁

Had my second shave tonight and it was nearly as good as the first. The only problem was I had a spot or two that I missed with my usual two pass shave. I chalk that up to getting to know the razor and the angle it likes. Best part was there was no hint whatsoever of blade chatter in my usual trouble spots. Loving this razor so far.

Thanks - I am still on the fence, but wobbling. I bought nearly all the Above the Tie baseplates/heads and two handles a few years back, but I mostly only use the R1 plate. That was a large outlay of coin for something that I use only occasionally (since I have too many other razors that I like in my rotation).
I, too, am wobbling! Just read the return policy and am forcing myself to sleep on it!

I, too, am wobbling! Just read the return policy and am forcing myself to sleep on it!
I have only owned the Blackland Sabre (L1 and L2) for a little while. But as a newbie to the GEM format let me tell you that The Sabre is one smooth ride. I have 7 shaves between the two base plates and both are incredibly smooth and comfortable. There is a little more blade feel on L2 but it could never be considered harsh or aggressive. The only reason I only have 7 shaves is because I’m traveling, so I took my travel razor.
Blackland Razors typical attention to detail, innovative design, and excellent finish are obvious on the Sabre.
Learning to use my Sabre has been a joy and actually helped improve my DE shaves (9.5 yr DE user) as well. When you wake up in the morning grab your coffee and get a Sabre...it will be a morning that you’ll look back on and smile!

I have only owned the Blackland Sabre (L1 and L2) for a little while. But as a newbie to the GEM format let me tell you that The Sabre is one smooth ride. I have 7 shaves between the two base plates and both are incredibly smooth and comfortable. There is a little more blade feel on L2 but it could never be considered harsh or aggressive. The only reason I only have 7 shaves is because I’m traveling, so I took my travel razor.
Blackland Razors typical attention to detail, innovative design, and excellent finish are obvious on the Sabre.
Learning to use my Sabre has been a joy and actually helped improve my DE shaves (9.5 yr DE user) as well. When you wake up in the morning grab your coffee and get a Sabre...it will be a morning that you’ll look back on and smile!
Hey Tim,
I appreciate so much your input! While I am enjoying a morning cup of joe, I have to head out to work in a few, so I will put off, for just a little longer, the purchase. But reading your comments, along with the trial period, made up my mind! Well done, Enabler! :thumbup1:

I am really only hesitating over buying the whole package, including the stand. That's a lot of coin, the most I've ever spent at one time on shaving, but only a fraction of what has been spent over the years.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. I recently started using some injectors, and it changed my view of wet shaving. I have the Vector, love it, but it can be a tad too much for me as a daily razor. The Sabre looks like it could be perfect, with 2 levels to choose from.

Great time to be shaving traditionally, right!

Hey Tim,
I appreciate so much your input! While I am enjoying a morning cup of joe, I have to head out to work in a few, so I will put off, for just a little longer, the purchase. But reading your comments, along with the trial period, made up my mind! Well done, Enabler! :thumbup1:

I am really only hesitating over buying the whole package, including the stand. That's a lot of coin, the most I've ever spent at one time on shaving, but only a fraction of what has been spent over the years.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. I recently started using some injectors, and it changed my view of wet shaving. I have the Vector, love it, but it can be a tad too much for me as a daily razor. The Sabre looks like it could be perfect, with 2 levels to choose from.

Great time to be shaving traditionally, right!
Awesome! Stay safe at work. I bought L1, L2, and the stand...expensive, but well worth it. If you like your Vector but it is just a little too much for daily I think (based on my limited Vector uses) the Sabre will work great.
Tim

Awesome! Stay safe at work. I bought L1, L2, and the stand...expensive, but well worth it. If you like your Vector but it is just a little too much for daily I think (based on my limited Vector uses) the Sabre will work great.
Tim
Placed the full order on my coffee break!

I have the Sabre with L1 and L2. It is easily the best modern GEM style razor out there. I've tried the Starling and the ATT G1 and they don't come close. My ONLY complaint is I'm not a fan of the Blackland handle style. On the plus side, the Sabre head fits any of my standard 3 piece DE handles. I'm currently using the Sabre L2 with the ATT handle to the G1.

My Sabre arrived a week ago, but I made myself finish out the week I had going with the Yates 921. Now, it is....

Sabre Week!
Starting out with the Level 1 plate. Today was smooth and easy, nice and close, almost felt carefree! The weight of the handle kept me focused, as some of my "hands-free" razors are very light, and due to being tired or inattentive, I found myself almost forgetting what razor I had! (Great work, Shane @Blackland Razors , making the Sabre! I don't think the Blackbird nor my prized Vector would ever make me forget the tool!) Blade is one of the GEMS that come with the Sabre.
Brush is the Yaqi tuxedo in the Mysterious Space handle. (which, come to think of it, would pair well with the other worldly look of the Vector!)
And the soap this week will be House of Mammoth Z.
Sabre & Z.jpg

My Sabre arrived a week ago, but I made myself finish out the week I had going with the Yates 921. Now, it is....

Sabre Week!
Starting out with the Level 1 plate. Today was smooth and easy, nice and close, almost felt carefree! The weight of the handle kept me focused, as some of my "hands-free" razors are very light, and due to being tired or inattentive, I found myself almost forgetting what razor I had! (Great work, Shane @Blackland Razors , making the Sabre! I don't think the Blackbird nor my prized Vector would ever make me forget the tool!) Blade is one of the GEMS that come with the Sabre.
Brush is the Yaqi tuxedo in the Mysterious Space handle. (which, come to think of it, would pair well with the other worldly look of the Vector!)
And the soap this week will be House of Mammoth Z.
View attachment 1249924
Looking forward to your reports from Sabre Week. I love the Sabre and the shaves it provides. I hope you love it.

Top Bottom