What's new

Big.... Bad..... Red....

To add a hint more specificity, it is a burl. Obviously some lighter wood. To which a red dye treatment has been applied. (The red is not part of the natural color of the wood. You can get some cool effects with dyes and burls.)

Mr Ellis's craftsmanship is just amazing, I must say.

-Mo

I'm a take a guess, and say it's elderbox. Congrats on the gorgeous blade. How's about some in-the-hand photos?

WOW!!!. I admire you Joel. You are more manly than me. There is no way I could shave with that.

Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee. " That's not a knife, this is a knife"

What the F***! There has got to be a video in the making of you using this thing Joel. :thumbup1:

Wonderful craftsmanship as usual from Mr. Ellis.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wood (not sure what kind) Diamond and Ruby....:biggrin:

They're real :biggrin:

It's sweeps week on "Pimp My Razor"!!

Looks great, Joel. I take it the razor has a traditional 'western' blade, but that you shave with it in the Japanese manner? How is it working out as a shaver?

You gotta give us a 'group photo' of your razors ... or at least the Top Ten or something!! :drool:

Looks great, Joel. I take it the razor has a traditional 'western' blade, but that you shave with it in the Japanese manner? How is it working out as a shaver?

You gotta give us a 'group photo' of your razors ... or at least the Top Ten or something!! :drool:

+1

I've only used the razor once so far, and I certainly haven't mastered it yet. It's very comfortable, but certainly not as fine/detailed to use as a Japanese razor or a traditional European style razor, it's more of a brute. It gave me a superb shave, but I am a touch roughed up, and I got a few nicks... which is the first time I have nicked myself with a straight in at least a year and a half. So far, I really like it, but it certainly isn't something i'd use, or want to use daily. It's a tremendous treat, and great "switch things up" razor/work of art.

As for the razor pics, there have been some posts of some of my razor display shelfs, but it's almost embarrassing how many i've got. :redface:

The wood is stabilized and dyed maple burl. I picked that color to remind the user who's boss. The great thing about these longer one-piece razors is that you do not have to switch hands for the shave.

They are a bit different to hold, but the configuration of the shank and handle also offer a large choice in grips and methods for holding it during the shave. It makes shaving against the grain easier for the neck areas. Because the razor does not articulate (not jointed), it is a bit easier to forget you are using something that will cut you long, wide, and deep.

Surprisingly, it can be used to finesse some areas of the face if you "choke up" on it and use the goose neck between the thumb and forefinger. Holding it at the back of the handle just means the user must remember that slight movement at that end means significant movement at the other.

I will also be making a smaller version of a one-piece down the road a spell.

That looks awesome, i guess asking for the price of such an item would be a total lack of respect ?

Top Bottom