What's new

Best straight razor to start with?

Obviously, if you’re just starting out, you wouldn’t necessarily begin with a top of the line razor like a Boker, or a Thiers Issard, which could easily run you into the hundreds (and that’s before any accessories!).

On the other hand, would starting out with something like a “Gold Dollar,” while certainly cheaper, ultimately turn you off completely due to the quality of the blade? 🤔

Legion

Staff member
Obviously, if you’re just starting out, you wouldn’t necessarily begin with a top of the line razor like a Boker, or a Thiers Issard, which could easily run you into the hundreds (and that’s before any accessories!).

On the other hand, would starting out with something like a “Gold Dollar,” while certainly cheaper, ultimately turn you off completely due to the quality of the blade? 🤔
It's all about the honing. Getting a Gold Dollar off the peg as a first razor would definitely turn you off. But one that has been fixed up and honed by someone with experience will do the job.

Similarly, getting a vintage razor off ebay unrestored is not going to get you there until it is honed either. Whatever you choose, the most important part of a first razor is how the edge has been honed.

I would get a shave ready new razor from Griffith or another place that will get them shave ready. Thinking base thiers issard for 120 ish is a good deal. If you don't like it you can always sell it and get back atleast 50% (as long as you don't just totally wreck the thing)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
An expertly honed Gold Dollar might turn one on to SR shaving. Meaning, if I can get a good shave from a refined Gold Dollar, what types of vintage steel could be had for good value. Plenty out there, thinking 5/8ths Solingen for instance, plenty more.

I would get a shave ready new razor from Griffith or another place that will get them shave ready. Thinking base thiers issard for 120 ish is a good deal. If you don't like it you can always sell it and get back atleast 50% (as long as you don't just totally wreck the thing)
Yeah, this seems like another sensical alternative

Like the OP said, if I don’t care for it, I could always get at least 50% back for the resale value of a decent razor.

I doubt I could raise a CENT trying to resell a brand new “Gold Dollar.” 😕

A GD is a piece of steel that can be shaped into a razor, but it will require allot of work.
If you buy only one GD, there is probably a 50 percent chance it's not usable even as a starting point.
You need to buy at least 3, maybe more.
I recently baught 5. One had steel issues and one had geometry issues not worth the time to fix. I ended up with two good ones, and one usable.

It's a sunk cost, and it did cost me allot of time. So, it's probably the most expensive razors I own if i set a price on my time.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert. But Art of Shaving is unloading some brand new Thiers Issard razors for US $50. Seemed a decent enough offer for me to give a go at straight razor shaving...

EDIT: just went to the website and it seems they upped the price to $100... was half of that when I purchased two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Back in 2008 I shaved an entire month daily with a Thiers Issard 5/8 Super “Gnome” which is no longer produced. It was a great shaver. I believe they turned it into a 1937 Special Coiffure which may in itself be long gone.

Best wishes in your search.
IMG_2488.jpeg

An entry level razor like a Gold Dollar, honed and shave ready will do the job. If you find that straight razor shaving is not for you you are left with something that very few people would be interested in.
If you buy a vintage restored shave ready razor, you now own something to be proud of, that will never loose its value and may give you years of shaving enjoyment.

@RicoSuave For $50 you can acquire a straight razor and top quality adjustable DE complete with a healthy supply of blades should it turn out you don't dig the straight razor program

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The best bet is what @silverlifter said, a good vintage razor and have it professionally honed.

That said, I just finished whipping about 10 Gold Dollar 100s into shape and they’re shave ready and will hone normally (more or less, most of them smile as do many razors new or old). I would not recommend that you form an opinion of SR shaving enjoyment with one of these, but a decent Gold Dollar might tell you if SR shaving is NOT for you with little investment. PM me a shipping address if you’re interested.

I've seen vintage shave-ready razors sold here in the BST forum at "beginner" prices ($40-50). Many are not full restorations but nice, perfectly usable razors that are reasonably priced from long-time members.

A prehoned Gold Dollar shouldn't have any problems.

My philosophy is that starting with a cheap one is the right way to go,
for many things.

Stick with the cheap one for a while and learn to use technique
to overcome any physical shortcomings of the razor.
Try, after time, to get a good feel for what you wish was different
about that razor, and look for that in your next razor.

F

firebox

I recommend a vintage blade honed by someone who knows how. Vintage 'shave ready blades should be had for less than $50. That should be a good blade for that money. the buy, sell, trade might be a good start. The Bay if you have confidence in the seller. I only have about 20+ blades, but I've probably had 100 plus. I just cull them to the best and unusual. A good 'shave ready' blade can be had for less than $50 just don't buy blades with any chips or rust if your are just starting out.

My first straight razor was a stainless steel mother of pearl Dovo that I bought from a Shavemac dealer in south Florida in the 1990's. Great first razor and I wish I never sold it. Now when I think of it, I also purchased a Dovo slate hone and strop paddle combo with it now that I recall. I used that blade for years. Back then, I only shave 2 to 3 times week and it took me some time to learn to hone and maintain my blade but once I got the hang of it. There was no looking back.

New TIs can be had starting at $100 (AOS) - $25 if you purchase in conjunction with their soft goods), however the scales are stainless which may not be the greatest for just starting out.

A modest increase would get you something into a Le Grelot or 5/8 Special Coiffeur. These options would still require honing services plus the necessary strop for maintaining the edge.

Another suggestion would be a Honemeistered Bengall in the $100 neighborhood.

Lots of options.

Can't go wrong buying a new or vintage razor from Griffith Shaving Goods. New TI razors start at $129. If you buy a new TI, ask Matt to select one with an even grind. He also has NOS razors starting at $149.

Another good option is to buy a vintage razor on eBay and send it to @Doc226 to be honed.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a GD to learn to hone. I would not send a GD out for honing. But that's me.

Top Bottom