What's new

Best Slip-Resistant Shoes?

Although they are made for hiking and climbing which I would think would include being slip resistant Merrell makes a wide selection of styles.

My combat boots have lasted pretty well for years, even with being on the field. Some of them Bellville have VIBRAM soles- dont know if it is slip resistant enough. Some arimen have slip resistant boots since they work around planes, ie oil. It seems to hold fine for them- although I have used them.
Good Luck.

My day job demands that my shoes are slip-resistant; this is EXTREMELY important over any other safety feature the shoe may have.
Check. feature a yellow non-slip sole
Even if the shoes are $80, that's still better than $150.
Check. $75.00
some of the stuff we work with (coolant, oil and various other chemicals) wears out the boots more than anything
Check. Meets NFPA 1991, 2005 edition for chemical and bio-chemical permeation resistance

OnGaurd Hazmax Kneeboot
proxy.php

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/haz-mat-boots.html

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I honestly believe that some of the stuff we work with (coolant, oil and various other chemicals) wears out the boots more than anything. When I say "worn out", I mean both inside and the uppers; the soles are normally fine. The leather always takes a real beating from all the crap we use and, even when advertised as oil and waterproof, ends up basically unwearable after a few months.

For those reasons, I'm simply being more cost-oriented now since I have to replace them after a few months, anyway. Red Wings are awesome work boots and are my daily wear right now, but the leather is still succumbing to the chemicals. It's a real shame, that; I feel like I'm walking on air even after working 14 hours.

The slipperiness is from coolant and oil, mainly. The floors are also newly painted, so any oil on them is extra slippery.

If the chemicals are wearing out your boots that quickly ... what are they doing to the rest of you?? :blink:

Assuming that you are not about to change jobs :001_rolle I'm wondering what (if anything) you put on your boots to preserve the leather. Try some Obaneuf's LP; that may prolong the life of the boots enough to warrant a resole or two.

My personal search for non-slip soles is related to winter ice. I've found that Vibram "gumlite" soles are about the best on ice that I can find. My preference is for a lug sole rather than a flat 'crepe' sole, and I suspect the same for your environment. I don't know how the gumlite will perform in oil compared to ice, but it's worth a try IMHO. And of course, if your boots last long enough, you can get them put on your old Redwings &c.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Eventually, after looking at those recommended, especially combat boots, I ended up with a pair of Timberland Pro Pit Boss boots in soft toe. They get glowing reviews and I figure at $70 with free shipping (best deal I found), if they do only last three months, I'll still get my money's worth out of them.

By the way, I DID find out that work boots, in my situation are tax-deductible.

Thanks again :001_smile

Top Bottom