What's new

Best Self Defense Knife for your Wife/Daughter/Girlfriend,etc

Could I borrow this come Friday night?

Well... if you want scary - check out it's big brother, the civilian....

proxy.php

proxy.php

With our new president in office, this will likely not be the case in the future.... assuming we can still buy ammo for our firearms.

You've heard about the law that Montana is working on passing right now, yes? Saying that federal gun laws don't apply to it's citizens?

I like Montana. It's pretty. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just gotta get used to that "snow" stuff. As to ammo, I bought a metric ton of it about four years ago, before prices started going up so bad, back before I got married, and had disposable income.

Last edited:
You've heard about the law that Montana is working on passing right now, yes? Saying that federal gun laws don't apply to it's citizens?

I like Montana. It's pretty. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just gotta get used to that "snow" stuff. As to ammo, I bought a metric ****-ton of it about four years ago, before prices started going up so bad, back before I got married, and had disposable income.

Wowza - please be a little more reserved in with the language my heavily armed friend :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
A small hammer would do the job a lot better than a knife. There aren't any laws against carrying a hammer?

I know a guy who once beat up a thief who was trying to steal his bike. He used a recently purchased 1.5 litre plastic Coke bottle.

You can pretty much use anything, but personally I wouldn't draw a knife on someone, since you can pretty much be the one to end up stabbed.

Anyone has any experience/opinion about a kubotan? I was wondering if it would make a nice, um, potentially useful keychain for my girlfriend...

Anyone has any experience/opinion about a kubotan? I was wondering if it would make a nice, um, potentially useful keychain for my girlfriend...

My uncle (big time martial artist) used to do some wicked things with a Kubotan. However, he'd been training for years and years. This is one of those devices that would take training and lots of practice to be effective.

These Martriarchs are very hard to find (not to mention very expensive), what do you guys think of the Spyderco Tasman or the Harpy? And for a self-defense purpose, would you prefer a serrated or a plain edge?

Last edited:
These Martriarchs are very hard to find (not to mention very expensive), what do you guys think of the Spyderco Tasman or the Harpy? And for a self-defense purpose, would you prefer a serrated or a plain edge?

For pure self defense serrated looks nastiest and would probably do the most damage. BUT a totally serrated knife is harder to use for day to day tasks, aka peeling an orange....

I was curious about the Civilian for myself. :biggrin: But I think it's too big even for me. :eek:

I am looking for a Matriarch right now, that's a great looking knife thanks for the tip.

Your going to have to keep your eyes peeled on the Bay, or come across one in a forum. Unless Spyderco does another run of them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Sheesh, 45 posts in and this is the first Dundee reference?? Either you guys are slipping or I'm getting really really old.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/YOUTUBE]

In general, would a lady use a knife for intimidation or actual cut-and-thrust? I'm thinking she'd want to suprise a would-be assailant by flashing it in his face to scare him off. Of course, if he has a gun ... :001_huh:

Just about any tactic she would use would end with the instructions "... and run away really fast", since the easiest way to avoid being hit is to not be there. Are things really so bad down in the USA that ladies need to go about heavilly armed?

How about a tactical flashlight instead? Besides being an impact weapon it's good for momentarily blinding an assailant. Still no laws against carrying a flashlight in my state.

I carry one. It's not too difficult to learn some basic strikes with it and some places offer specific classes with the kubotan in mind. You really do need some level of training to make it worth carrying. However the keychain is big and if she plans on using it for self defense (like anything else) it needs to be accessible. This can be accomplished by doing things like taking her keys out before she walks to her car for example.

If I'm not mistaken, this knife was designed for self-defense, specifically for women.

Was designed for women, undercover cops and men in areas where guns are illegal.

I've taken a few slashes at a de-thawed chicken, and the Matriarch was absolutely devastating.

Spyderco Matriarch. Requires no training to wield, is small/light - but large enough to be devastating - and well.... it is remarkably devastating.

proxy.php

Wouldn't she be almost certain to cut herself if she tried to stab someone with that? Or is it meant to cut someone, or just really look dangerous?

It reminds me of an awesome part of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe:
* The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. "Make it evil," he'd been told. "Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with."

I miss Douglas Adams.

Was designed for women, undercover cops and men in areas where guns are illegal.

I've taken a few slashes at a de-thawed chicken, and the Matriarch was absolutely devastating.

I've found one, but it's much more than I wanted (and really have to spend :blushing:). Joel, I really appreciate your recommendation, I think it's awesome, but I'm very worried that it's too large for my gf. She has very small hands and I think that would be huge for her. I've been looking at this one too.

The Spyderco Salt Tasman
View attachment 41369

It's available in plain edge and Spyder-Edge. Which do you think would be better for this purpose.

Top Bottom