What's new

Best Instumental Group Ever.

The Berlin, Vienna, London, Chicago, and Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestras; The Bill Evans Trio; The Miles Davis Quintet; The Dave Brubeck Quartet; The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker; The Vince Gauraldi Trio and The Allman Brothers Band (when they play instrumentals).

Best ever, all genres, would be the "classic" 1950/60's Dave Brubeck Quartet. If we're talkling 60's rock instrumentals, it's so hard to pick just one group. In the early 60's most of my records were instrumental groups. Some of my favorites from back then were:

Booker T - Green Onions
Santo & Johnny - Sleepwalk
Ventures - Walk Don't Run/Perfidia
Dick Dale - Miserlou
Link Wray - Jack the Ripper/Black Widow
Duane Eddy - Rebel Rouser/Because They're Young
Jorgen Ingman - Apache
Ramrods - Ghost Riders In The Sky
Johnny & The Hurricanes - Red River Rock

Thanks to iPods and mp3's, most of the music I listen to is pre-1965.

Legion

Staff member
Ever? I'm not sure. But this is my favourite currently working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
Very nice! I'm loving the klezmer favor of that tune. Is the rest of their stuff like this?

Yep, although sometimes a bit more relaxed and melodic. Warren Ellis, the violinist, works a lot with Nick Cave. He is one of the Bad Seeds, and also in his other band Grinderman. He is quite amazing.

If you've seen the movie The Proposition, he also did the soundtrack.

Last edited:
Best ever, all genres, would be the "classic" 1950/60's Dave Brubeck Quartet.

Nice choice!
It's hard not to chose someone from the 50s/60s Jazz scene. If it has to be a 'group,' Dave Brubeck Quartet would be very high on my list. Miles Davis Quintet would be up there too. If I could pick a solo, I love Thelonious Alone in San Fransisco.

On the modern side, I like Ratatat quite a bit, especially for running.

Yep, although sometimes a bit more relaxed and melodic. Warren Ellis, the violinist, works a lot with Nick Cave. He is one of the Bad Seeds, and also in his other band Grinderman. He is quite amazing.

If you've seen the movie The Proposition, he also did the soundtrack.

I love The Proposition! I love Nick Cave too. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper into this...

"Ever" is too strong word to use but currently at the top of my list would be the Indo-Jazz fusion group Shakti (now reformed and known as Remember Shakti).

Edit : This particular track does have a vocalist though Shakti do also perform without one. However when they use one (as in this case), their vocalist generally follows the Carnatic tradition of improvisation where the voice is treated as an instrument, with equal status to the other instruments.

The Berlin, Vienna, London, Chicago, and Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestras
Yeah, these combos really make hot French girls want to dance!

I should've been more specific; "rock and roll" instumental group. Good call on the jazzbos though, esp. Mulligan/Baker.

The Allmans Brothers? No thanks.

I don't think there has ever been a decent "rock and roll" instrumental group. But there are many rock groups which have done very good instrumental tracks. Jazz is the quintessential instrumental art form, to me. Ok, there's a lot of very powerful and complex classical stuff out there, but also a lot of mediocre pap. I've never been a fan of Mozart, for example. I mean, he's ok. Just not brilliant

The Allmans Brothers? No thanks.

Really? Songs like: Jessica, High Falls, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Little Martha? What about Carlos Santana? Songs like: Soul Sacrifice, Incident at Neshabur, Samba Pa' Ti, Europa? Perhaps some Jeff Beck then: Freeway Jam?

While not an instrumental group NIN had an instrumental album called Ghost that I really enjoy

Without a doubt its gotta be The Ventures. Those guys stayed together forever, and could play any song, and had over 500 albums. I know some years back drummer Mel Taylor passed, so I'm not sure of their status now.

Really? Songs like: Jessica, High Falls, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Little Martha? What about Carlos Santana? Songs like: Soul Sacrifice, Incident at Neshabur, Samba Pa' Ti, Europa? Perhaps some Jeff Beck then: Freeway Jam?
I was thinking strictly Instrumental Bands.
The Allmans have some songs I like (Dreams, Melissa), and they do know the value of a good hook.
Santana? Not a favorite, though I'm not familiar with some of the songs you mentioned. I will check them out. Truth era Jeff Beck Group is great stuff.
I'm just not really a fan of long, drawn-out "Jam Bands"--too much noodling for my taste.:bored: This very much a YMMV thing!
( there is "Sister Ray" by the Velvet Underground, but that is more "assault" than "jam"!)
In the 80's some Chicago clubs would have "Mod" nights, where you could hear/dance to lots of vintage 60's soul and R&B, along with some surf, ska and garage music. Hearing "Green Onions" and "Hip Hug Her" on a good and punchy sound system got me hooked hard on Booker T. and the MG's. I'd go searching used record stores for old 45's and albums. I love these guys, and I love this clip! There's almost something cathartic about it.
Quick change of subject; You had some really insightful, well-written comments in the Stones album thread. You know your Stones.
So I want to ask.. which do you prefer..
Ronnie Wood/bass player (JBG), or
Ronnie Wood/ guitarist (Faces, RS)?
For my money, Ronnie on guitar is good, Ronnie on bass is great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom