What's new

Best DE Blade for sensitive skin

So far, I've tried Astra blades, but was wondering if there is a particular brand that is known for being good for sensitive skin?

As luck would have it, I actually received the sampler packs of blades in the mail today, however, I have already shaved today and while I could shave more off, I'm not too inclined to due to skin irritation from my previous shave(s).

I got the "Beginner's" Sampler Pack, as well as the "All Gillette" blades from Razor Blades Club. Anyone have any blade suggestions at this point for when I do shave?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Unlike many, I really like Derby Extra in the original green packs. I haven't tried the new Derby Premium so I can't speak to those. For me, I find the choice of razor to have more to do with ease (or harshness) of shave than blade choice. That said, I've tried some vintage Rexall Drugstore branded blades that were blue carbon steel. They were horrid and pulled and tugged. Derbys, Astra SP and SS, Shark SC and SS, Feather all work fine for me in a variety of razors from the mild mannered Feather ASD2 to my Fatip Grande Mk1. If you have sensitive skin I would maybe avoid Feather blades for a little while and stick with a razor on the mild side loaded with an Astra. I can't think of any brands actually geared towards sensitive skin. I also have sensitive skin (diagnosed with allergy tests), and once you've cooked your face with a decent razorburn it's best to hold off shaving for at least 48 hours to give the epidermis time to recover. And contrary to standard practice, I also avoid really hot water preps, showers and lathers (also recommended by my dermatologist). To avoid all irritations I.....

1. Shower before shaving with luke-warm water, just warm enough to improve latherability of common bar soaps. And usually "James Bond" the finish (Full cold water for a few minutes)
2. I use a soft shaving brush like a Plisson Synthetic.
3. Make lather with cool tap water.
4. Proraso Green Menthol and Eucalytus and White Tea Tree soaps or creams provide nice cooling after.
5. Proraso Green Splash aftershave lotion. Skin feels great after.
6. Nivea Men Sensitive Skin Cooling aftershave balm. Again, more cooling.

My personal believe is the warmish shower and soap help soften the whiskers which stay hydrated between the time you step out to the sink and shave. But the cool/cold water helps "tighten" the skin and drives blood flow away from the surface, thereby reducing inflammation before it starts. That Red Face from hot water or hot towels never worked for me. Cool temps all the way in my camp/den.

From the beginners pack I would go in this order the Dorco ST301, then Either of the Astras then the Lord, then I would save the Feathers for very last.
from the Gillette I would go Yellow, Green, Blues, 7o'clock blacks and then Platinums.
if you wanted all of those in an order I would go from least to sharpest. the reason I would do feather last is because it is the sharpest and it is unforgiving on the first few strokes, building up your technique along the way. The Dorco are hit and miss for ppl but don't toss em save em if they are rough it might just be your technique needs to improve, try them again later.
Dorco
Astra sp
Astra ss
Lord ss
Yellow
Green
Blues
Platinum
7o'c Black
Feather

I think the best blades for sensitive skin are both sharp and smooth. They need to be sharp to reduce the tendency to press and reduce the number of passes needed to get a good, clean shave. With that said, some blades that combine sharpness and smoothness well are Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Med Prep, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, Wilkinson Sword Classic, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, and Perma-Sharp.

I have both the Qshave as well as the original adjustable Futur. I also have the Van der Hagen safety razor. Which one would you recommend?
Derby Extra is rarely a bad choice, but it really depends which razor you're using.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I agree with just about all of the suggestions above, and I'll add these blades to the list:

Rapira Platinum Lux
Treet Black Beauty
Voshkod

I found, especially when I was honing in my technique, that pairing a "smooth" or "mild" blade with an "aggressive" or efficient razor got me closer with less irritation. Similarly, pairing a sharper smooth blade with a mild razor works wonders too.

Some of my favorite combos were the Nacet and any Tech, or a Treet with a Fatip.

Happy shaves

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have both the Qshave as well as the original adjustable Futur. I also have the Van der Hagen safety razor. Which one would you recommend?

I havent used any of those razors. I'd most likely stick to my middle of the road blades until your technique is better. Astra SP is a good all around blade, maybe the best all around blade there is. Gillette Nacet is another. Same feel to me and arguably sharper. Polsilver is a great blade, both smooth and sharp.

Just remember to watch the angle you use the razor with and if you feel any tugging, step up your blade choice. If you were to find Astra SP tugging, I'd suggest a Gillette Platinum (Black) or a Gillette SharpEdge (Yellow). The Yellows are very sharp and I find them incredibly smooth, but what works for me may not work for you.

Try A Blade is a good place to buy as many or as few as you'd like, but I'd suggest buying at least 2 of any blade. Blades are very individual. Try as many as you can and find 3-5 favorites before you buy in bulk.

@koreysmith I would start with the VDH its the mildest of those 3. The Merkur is more aggressive on setting 1 the VDH. The Qshave, I don't know anything about other than its a clone of the Futur.

I don't think there is a best blade for anything. You simply need to try as much as you can.

That being said, it could also be your cream or razor. In my case, some Indian creams(old spice & godrej) make my goatee area burn a little. So I think I'll stop buying Indian creams once I finish what I have.

Personally I suggest a mild razor is more important than the blade for sensitive skin. Maybe a Gillette Tech would be the tool of choice. And maybe shaving with cool water.

YMMV is the rule (as far as I can tell)!

My optimal combo is a mild/moderate razor with a sharp/smooth blade! Others have totally different opinions.

Bottom line is that you need to try things for yourself to determines what works best for you.

Starting out, for me, the smoothest 2 blades are Wilkinson Sword Classic (german made) and Gillette Platinum Plus. The Van Der Hagen blades that come with your razor were like shaving by rubbing a hand full of gravel into my face. I have yet to find a razor that does not shave smoothly with the Wilki however. Of course YMMV.

Astra SPs are a consistent blade. As others may have mentioned previously - The important thing to remember is that regardless of the keenness, polish, or branding of the blade - she'll cut you the same. The largest common denominators in shaving are technique and prep, figure these two out THOROUGHLY prior to changing all the other miniscule variables.

I have very sensitive skin due to my blue eyes and ruddy complexion. I also have a fast - growing, tough beard. I get my best shaves with a properly honed and stropped straight razor, but I normally use a DE for the cleanup pass. I can shave with most DE razors and I can shave with most DE blades, including Feathers. However, my beard preparation and shaving technique must be good.

1. Make sure your beard is properly clean and hydrated. I like to shower before I shave.
2. Use a high-quality shave soap. If your skin is sensitive, you need a soap with great slickness, cushion and post shave moisturizing and conditioning. If you are using canned foam or gel, a cheap puck or inexpensive cream from your local drugstore, it is time to upgrade for a better shave. Folks with tough skin can get by with these, but not someone with sensitive skin.

3. I suggest bowl lathering with a brush that has soft tips. Face lathering with a brush that has scritch will irritate your face. The brush does not have to be expensive. Although silvertip badger brushes are great, a well-broken in boar or synthetic will work as well.

4. It does not really matter which DE razor or blade you use a long as your technique is spot on. Your should use minimal pressure and you have to use the proper shave angle for the razor. Some people would recommend a mild razor, but if the razor is too mild, you will need more passes to achieve the shave results you desire. I get the most efficient shaves with an open comb razor.

5. If your face is sensitive, do not strive for a BBS shave. A close, comfortable shave will do. Trying to get to BBS will increase irritation.

6. I use soaps with excellent post shave properties, so I normally only use witch hazel as my aftershave. However, a post shave balm might help, especially in the cold winter months.

I have no affiliation with Rockwell, and this is not meant as a plug for any of their products, but a couple of days ago they posted a blog entry called How To Shave Sensitive Skin With A Safety Razor. That has some good basic advice regardless of which brand of razor or blade you use. @Laird and others have posted more good advice here. I've also found that certain fragrances or essential oils found in some soaps and creams cause a bad, burning reaction in my skin. But that doesn't mean I have to stay with fragrance-free products, just that I need to be careful with anything new.

Top Bottom