What's new

Best Canned Goo?

shaved recently with this Acca Kappa canned foam, very nice.

$acca-kappa-1869-ikon-cellmen-sunrise-july-23-2016.gif

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
And for all those saying to use a brush and traditional shave cream/soap. I do. But, my situation is quite complicated. See, I leave for college in less than 2 weeks, and I still take quite a bit of time working up a lather. I'm not the best at it, and I don't have much more time to learn. So, my plan is to set the brush and traditional creams/soaps aside and save them for maybe a weekend shave or when I have free time. I'm sorry if some of you disagree with that, that's just what I've decided. I have already used Harry's shave gel and Barbasol multiple times since switching to wet shaving, and I like them both. It's working for me just fine. They don't seem to dry my face out like Gillette's shave gel. And, mixed with water, they're slick enough for me to get 2 passes + touch ups without any irritation or cuts - which is what is most important to me, since I'm prone to razor burn.

My main reason for making this thread was to get some ideas on what to add to my little pile, instead of just having one or two cans to chose from.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!:001_smile
Your decision makes sense to me. My college years aren't that far gone and I remember not having much extra time on my hands. We can be very opinionated here but sometimes you just have to do what's best for you.

Just curious, have you tried face lathering? I get better results that way and doesn't take as long as bowl lathering. Just a thought.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought Edge gel did a good job.

You know what? I always thought that Edge did a fine job, too. That was all I ever used since I started shaving, until I started using a brush and soap or cream. Then, I went back and used some Edge, just out of curiosity. I felt like I was putting wallpaper paste on my face. When I tried Barbasol, it felt more like the lather I was working up with a brush, so that's what I use when I'm in a Class 1 Hurry.

I do remember that commercial. I used to do that to my face when I first started shaving. :001_smile

Your decision makes sense to me. My college years aren't that far gone and I remember not having much extra time on my hands. We can be very opinionated here but sometimes you just have to do what's best for you.

Just curious, have you tried face lathering? I get better results that way and doesn't take as long as bowl lathering. Just a thought.

I wish I had more time to learn, but it's out of my hands. And I face lathered for the first couple months of shaving, but then I started getting brush burn. So brushless or canned foam is the best way for me to go right now.

I'd go with a good non-lathering cream like Jack Black Beard Lube or Van Der Hagen Shave Butter before resorting to anything out of a can again.

I meant the Pacific Rush shave cream! I've never tried a mentholated shave cream, and I'm interested how it would feel.

Gotcha, you mentioned Aqua Velva so I thought you were talking aftershaves. As far as mentholated shave creams go, I've only tried the ones you use with a brush so I don't have first hand experience but I know CO Bigelow(just re-branded Proraso) makes a shave foam and if its quality is up to par with their other products, it should be good. If you have a Bath and Bodyworks near you they should sell it. As far as the Barbasol Pacific Rush cream, its cheap enough to probably warrant a blind buy so I say try it.

Gotcha, you mentioned Aqua Velva so I thought you were talking aftershaves. As far as mentholated shave creams go, I've only tried the ones you use with a brush so I don't have first hand experience but I know CO Bigelow(just re-branded Proraso) makes a shave foam and if its quality is up to par with their other products, it should be good. If you have a Bath and Bodyworks near you they should sell it. As far as the Barbasol Pacific Rush cream, its cheap enough to probably warrant a blind buy so I say try it.

Yeah, that was my bad. I am interested in trying Barbasol's AS, though.

I do have a Bath and Bodyworks near me! I may go see if they have any in stock, thanks:thumbup:

Not long ago, I was caught out of town overnight, and needed to pick up some shaving cream. (I do keep an emergency overnight bag in the trunk of my car, and there's a razor and some blades in the bag, but no shaving cream.) I swung by the local Target, and bought a can of Nivea for Men Sensitive Cooling Shaving Gel. It wasn't horrible. I don't use the canned stuff often enough to say that this Nivea's the best of the lot, but I managed to get a decent shave with it.

I wish I had more time to learn, but it's out of my hands. And I face lathered for the first couple months of shaving, but then I started getting brush burn. So brushless or canned foam is the best way for me to go right now.
Okay, I don't want to sound argumentative here, but, I'm going to sound like I am. There is no learning curve to getting a better lather out of virtually any cream or soap than a can of Barbasol. Go to your local Indian grocer, get a tube of anything. Soak your brush for a minute, put the cream on it and apply it to your face. This is not rocket surgery. You should be able to get a puck of Williams, rub it on your wet face and lather it with your bare hands and get something better than Barbasol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like canned foam. Barbasol works great. I tend to avoid it because it is wasteful in its packaging. Massaged in well with the fingertips it gives a great shave and has a nice post shave feel. If it works for you use it. As they say if your grandpa didn't use it you probably wouldn't be here ;)

If you don't want to use a brush, you can still use brushless creams that are quite good and quick and you won't have to use propellant that will dry out your face.

Some suggestions for quick and easy brushless creams:
Cremo
Kiss My Face
Pacific Shaving Cream (Caffeinated one)
These are all cheap and can be found at your local Walgreens, Kroger, Target,etc.

If you wanted to go a little more expensive you can buy these online:
Nancy Boy
Kiehl's
Barbasol actually has a brushless cream you can buy on Amazon
Anthony Logistics
Men-U
Bulldog

Just trying to give you options

Okay, I don't want to sound argumentative here, but, I'm going to sound like I am. There is no learning curve to getting a better lather out of virtually any cream or soap than a can of Barbasol. Go to your local Indian grocer, get a tube of anything. Soak your brush for a minute, put the cream on it and apply it to your face. This is not rocket surgery. You should be able to get a puck of Williams, rub it on your wet face and lather it with your bare hands and get something better than Barbasol.

There actually is a learning curve to making a lather. Thanks for the informative comment, though. Really, that was great. I know so much more now that you showed me the secret.

You tagged my comment but somehow failed to read "I started getting brush burn." Just because face lathering works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Guys, not trying to play ref here, but if a Mod comes by and sees this the thread could get locked, and no one will benefit from that. Let's please try and remember wet shaving is very subjective, and what works great for me might not work for you or others.

Guys, not trying to play ref here, but if a Mod comes by and sees this the thread could get locked, and no one will benefit from that. Let's please try and remember wet shaving is very subjective, and what works great for me might not work for you or others.

You're right. My apologies.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When I left Avignon for St Remy this summer on vacation, I left my shave bag hanging on the bathroom door in Avignon. A friend was coming from Avignon the next evening and offered to pick it up and meet me, so that problem was solved - though it's just about a 30 minute drive. But I needed stubble removal tools for a shave or two and popped into a nearby drugstore and picked up a can of "Nobacter", a Eucris brand. I didn't think it would be very good, but in fact it was quite good.

So I read the label - lol. The principal ingredients, minus the propellant which I have omitted, looks pretty typical of shaving soap:

Aqua, myristic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, glycerin, octyldodecanol (a long chain fatty acid), potassium hydroxide, TEA-lauryl sulfate.... plus propellant, compounds of the above and odds and ends that are in many cosmetics.

Eucris, 22 Avenue de France, 75013 Paris

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0446.jpg
    $DSCF0446.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom