What's new

Best Brush for $100 or less

Ok, I have $100 (definitely less than $130) and I'm looking for the best shaving brush recommendations. Badger preferred. I'm looking for luxury with a little floppiness, but not too much.

I will be buying it from West Coast Shaving so that is the list I'm working with.

... and GO!!! :w00t:

Last edited:
I'm pretty partial to my Edwin Jagger Super Badger to the point that while I own half a dozen razors, over a dozen creams, 8 different after shaves, I only have one brush. $94 in faux ivory from West Coast Shaving.

Shavemac Finest is a solid recommendation. I love my Shavemacs.

That being said, I'd look into a Super Silvertip Rooney over at VintageBlades. I know you said WCS, but those Rooneys are great brushes. They don't get as much press these days because everyone is crazy over 2-bands, but I have several of those Rooneys and couldn't be happier. I have a 1/2, 2, and 3/1, and I just ordered another 3/2. That's Rooney's style/size designator (first digit is the style, second digit is the size -- style 2 is only offered in one size). I used the 2 this morning and it is very similar to what you describe. I wouldn't call it floppy so much as it "splays easily".

I would go with 3 Plisson synthetics from L'Occitane.

(I know you prefer badger, but I had to throw this in because I have been very pleased with the brush, especially for the price.)

(I know you prefer badger, but I had to throw this in because I have been very pleased with the brush, especially for the price.)

+1. Super soft brush that has a little flop. Still good for face or bowl lathering and just tears into any hard soap you put in front of it.

+1. Super soft brush that has a little flop. Still good for face or bowl lathering and just tears into any hard soap you put in front of it.

It just so happens that after posting this I looked at one during lunch. It does seem extremely soft. I walked away because the only synthetic (grant it was from over 4 years ago) never really held the lather. My Badgers and Boars have kept me happy.

How does this Plisson compare?

It just so happens that after posting this I looked at one during lunch. It does seem extremely soft. I walked away because the only synthetic (grant it was from over 4 years ago) never really held the lather. My Badgers and Boars have kept me happy.

This is my first synthetic since I started down this path. My prior brush was a Vulfix badger travel brush. The following are the differences I have noticed.
- Softer
- Holds lather just fine (knot is bigger than the Vulfix, though)
- Lathers MUCH faster
- No scrubby feeling when lathering (not possible, but it's not something I miss)
- Does not need to be soaked and doesn't absorb water
- Does not retain heat as well as the badger (may be a negative for some, but doesn't bother me too much)
- Dries out super quickly after a shave
- No smell

Last edited:
This one is easy. Check out the Simpson Colonel. Read some reviews and place your order.

A few words and firm resolve.

:a14:
I applaud you, as that will never be me.

Thanks for the recommendation.

P.S.
Nice pic of the Shepard! How did you get the picture back after he ate the camera?
... man I just hijacked my own thread.

The Plisson will make great lather and release it. It is the softest brush I have. and one of my go to brushes for finicky soaps that I have trouble building a lather. It will build great lather pretty quick.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Along with the popular Simpson Colonel there are several Simpsons in Best Badger to look at that are within your budget, for instance the Case, small Keyhole, Berkeley 46, Duke 1 & 2 and others. WCS is good about listing specs so you can compare. But the Colonel is a great all around choice for bowl or face lathering.

Last edited:
Do you face or bowl lather ? Or are you looking all - purpose ? I actually agree strongly with the X2L "Colonel". It is a great all around brush, and Simpsons best badger is super dense, retains heat, and releases lather easily. If you are more into face lathering a Simpsons Duke 3 in best, for synthetics the original Plisson is amazing nothing comes close, but it may be just a bit "too" floppy .

Shavemac Finest is a solid recommendation. I love my Shavemacs.

That being said, I'd look into a Super Silvertip Rooney over at VintageBlades. I know you said WCS, but those Rooneys are great brushes. They don't get as much press these days because everyone is crazy over 2-bands, but I have several of those Rooneys and couldn't be happier. I have a 1/2, 2, and 3/1, and I just ordered another 3/2. That's Rooney's style/size designator (first digit is the style, second digit is the size -- style 2 is only offered in one size). I used the 2 this morning and it is very similar to what you describe. I wouldn't call it floppy so much as it "splays easily".

Totally agree on a Rooney super from VB. I have a 1/2 and a 3/1 and they are excellent brushes at a reasonable price. They do have a nice splay, a bit of scrub, and excellent flow through. Plenty soft as well. I used the 1/2 this morning and the shave was excellent.

My Rooney super silvertips were super floppy. Soft, but no backbone at all. Not very satisfying. If we open up the conversation beyond the WCS, the WSP Monarch silvertip looks pretty interesting, $75 off Amazon.

~~~ Keep the suggestions coming I need to pick up another brush! ~~~

Due to all the glowing recommendations and the cost of only $30 I pulled the trigger on the L'Occitane Plisson. That leaves me enough cash to still pick up another brush. I just need to be a bit more judicious with my funds.

I shaved with it this morning and have to say I was pleasantly impressed! This is already one of my top three (brushes).

Ok, I can't say that is was like shaving with hair from the mane of a unicorn. However someone at Plisson did have a vision of what it would be like and came very close.

OldGrowth and Shevek were right about splay. You can't say that it is floppy because the fibers are very fine, so it has a slightly different spring to it than Boar or even Badger. But the splay was very nice.

You have to be mindful of how wet you want the brush. It takes water immediately, but a strong flick and it can be almost dry again. Fortunately I watched for that and this was not an issue.

The brush loaded as easily as my favorite Badger. I face lathered. I wouldn't say it was like bunny fur as some have described in other posts. I would put it in the category of maybe some cat fur (man that felt weird to say that). Lather built really fast and thick. I got three good passes and probably had enough lather for another two passes.

Clean up was as easy as any of my natural brushes. The bonus was after two good flicks it was almost completely dry. That part was amazing!

Top Bottom