What's new

Behold the Beehive!

Ok, that intro sounds like the title of an old Artie Shaw recording, but I received my new Rudy Vey beehive in grade A silvertip today. I never saw a knot that looked so much like my Simpson Chubby 1 (before I began to use it). This beehive has the same colour and general density of the Simpson Chubby. The shipping paper indicates that this brush is Grade A silvertip. It looks dense, silver and perfectly packed to my eye.

The knot measures approx. 21 mm at the base with calipers, with an overall approximate height measurement (brush and handle) of 91 mm. Its a nice size handle. While I tend towards the largest handle I can afford, this size does not disappoint.

Excellent turning and finishing skills by Mr Vey. A very nicely made handle, uniform colour and consistancy to the handle material, excellent knot density, colour and feel. A very, very nice brush. I highly recommend Mr Vey. Also, a free stick of shave soap in the order!

Some pix and comparison shots of the beehive with the Simpson Chubby 1:

Last edited:
Since I can only post 5 pix per post, here's one showing the tops of the beehive on the left and the Simpson Chubby 1 on the right....

+1 - nice brush. Dig the 'hive.

I have a Rudy Vey Travel Badger in Grade A Silvertip & Faux tortise - they are excellent.

There are few things finer than a proper beehive and iet looks like you have one! I've got the Rooney version and it is one of the best I have. Enjoy it!

I very much liked the idea of the Rooney Heritage, but the only place on the net I found that had the large beehive doesn't ship to strangest, foreign, exotic Canada! So, a Rudy Vey beehive it was!

More I use this one, the better it feels. Rudy Vey makes a really solid brush. Highly recommended.

I'm really impressed by the quality of the badger that Rudy has access to. Buy with confidence.

^

Can you post a side by side of your Beehive and CH1, looking down on the knot from above (and from the side if you care to) to show density, now that your Beehive has bloomed?

-Andy

are you sure the knot size is 21mm? it looks bigger than the Chubby 1...I think the correct reading is 27 or 28mm

are you sure the knot size is 21mm? it looks bigger than the Chubby 1...I think the correct reading is 27 or 28mm

Well, the 21mm (approx) measurement is done with calipers, right at the base where the brush meets the handle (see picture). If that's the spot for knot measurement, then on this brush, its 21mm.

Top Bottom