What's new

BebeLush Shave Soap

I purchased a tin of this in a recent Amazon order, as they are a new Vendor at B&B and I wanted to give the soap a try. The company claims "natural, organic, chemical-free" beauty products, so though I don't have a complete ingredients list handy, I'll assume for now that it doesn't contain words with twenty letters and phrases like "hydroxy-" or "dodecyl." The shave soap does contain cocoa, shea and mango butters. It comes in this tin:

In size, it's fairly comparable to the one from Pre de Provence, and contains a hefty 4 oz of soap. I'd characterize its consistency as harder than the Italian soft soaps and those I've encountered from artisans like Mike's and Saint Charles Shave, but it doesn't approach a triple milled soap in its consistency. Without having a complete ingredients list handy, I can't tell just looking at it if it's a glycerin based soap, but have a look for yourself (this was post loading, hence the smeariness to the surface):

I did a test bowl lather last night, just in the interest of science, of course, though bowl lathering soaps is not my favorite way to do it, nor is it my forte. I soaked the surface of the soap for about 5 minutes in warm water, then took a damp brush (my recently-acquired Rudy Vey synthetic with a Mühle STF 25 mm knot) to load it for about 40 seconds. I got a nice protolather to form, and proceeded to build the lather for a couple of minutes, progressively adding water. This yielded the following:

The lather quality was decent, though the bubbles were a bit larger than normal. In cases like this, I often find that lather to be unstable, so I left it to sit for 5 minutes to see if it would break down. I have watched Captain Fawcett's Shave Soap break down before my eyes, even when starting from a comparable amount, so I was pleased to see that it stayed together quite nicely:

When I applied it to my hand, it was ok, but seemed pretty airy. This morning, I used it for an actual shave and face lathered instead, as is my preference. This time, I loaded for 1 minute and then built the lather on my face. I'm happy to say that the lather was very rich and slick, and also proved to be very stable. After my usual two passes, there was sufficient lather in the brush for another two if I needed it. Post shave feel was excellent. You can really tell that there are shea and cocoa butters in there. The scent is advertised as Bay Rum, Orange and Clove. My nose pretty much picked up Orange, though the bay rum was there in the background, kind of like Orange Juice with a twist of Bay Rum. The clove was not noticeable to my nose. My only real quibble was the tin. Granted, I was using a 25 mm brush, but loading from the soap felt a bit cramped. That's a minor complaint, though, as the performance was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the ingredient list:

Sodium Cocoate, Propylene Glycol , Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Water, Sorbitol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Seed Butter, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Chlorophyll, Pimenta Racemosa Oil (Bay Rum), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Five Fold Sweet Orange) Peel Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Titanium Dioxide

Ingredient #2 is propylene glycol.

I've used BebeLush and it works just fine (takes a little longer to load). I think the scent is really nice. But at almost $4/oz there are better soaps to be had.

Their soaps look interesting, but for me, clove is a deal breaker. I don't like the smell and it irritates my skin.

Nice review. I tried this soap as well, and it performs well. The scent didn't win me over, however. I like bay rum, a lot. Like you, I mainly detected orange, with a subtle bay rum in the background; therefore it let me down (scent wise). YMMV of course.

Nice review. I tried this soap as well, and it performs well. The scent didn't win me over, however. I like bay rum, a lot. Like you, I mainly detected orange, with a subtle bay rum in the background; therefore it let me down (scent wise). YMMV of course.

How was the performance for you, Chris?

How was the performance for you, Chris?

The performance was actually quite good. If the scent was really appealing to me, I'd put it in my rotation. Alas, it sits way back on the shelf. Perhaps I'll give it a go again in the near future.

I just used this for the second time, and some observations:

I find it a little hard to load. I believe this is just my inexperience with this soap...it's a different consistency than the others in my rotation...pretty hard actually. I will need to work on my technique...I have not pre-soaked the soap with warm/hot water before I hit it with the brush. It seems just a little hard to get started, and I will try the pre-soaking.

I face lather, and this soap does pretty well. I keep adding drops of water as it seems to be a little thirsty. Again, I know that every soap is different, and I need to learn this one better.

Performance-wise, I'd give this a B. I wish it were a little slicker. I'm willing to take the blame for not getting the consistency right, so we'll see.

The fragrance is pleasant: mostly citrus with some bay rum background. I don't detect an overwhelming clove.

My skin likes this...post-shave feel is very nice.

I will continue to work on this...that's the fun part, yes? It's a keeper, and I find its consistency and loadability an interesting challenge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom