What's new

BBQ Thermometer

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've got to start a motion to lobby them. I can putter around the garden, sit on a lawn chair watering, do a bit of weeding . . . in the summer. In the winter . . . I'd rather not be that close to the smoker unless I need to be.

I love their stuff. Gifted some instant read pens to folk who grill.

Maverick is set to release a new Bluetooth BBQ thermometer soon, using your phone as the receiving unit. It may be worth holding off until it's out, which was supposed to be last month I beleive.

Maverick is set to release a new Bluetooth BBQ thermometer soon, using your phone as the receiving unit. It may be worth holding off until it's out, which was supposed to be last month I beleive.

There was another phone device I was looking at when I purchased my Maverick, but I wasn't keen on using my phone as the receiver for various reasons. I think it was iGrill, but am glad I didn't, as I switched to Android.

I don't use Bluetooth much as it sucks the battery and then I'd have to have my phone on hand in the house, which I normally don't.

Just in case any companies are reading, this is what I want.

A reliable, well built, bulletproof controller with download upgrade capability, at least 10 probe sensing capability, with the probes being wireless. I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I'd love to be able to place a probe in whatever i'm cooking and not have to deal with the wire and transmitting box, or be limited to how many probes I could use. I could potentially have multiple grills going while being able to monitor them all on one controller.

Hey, a guy can dream right? :)

Just in case any companies are reading, this is what I want.

A reliable, well built, bulletproof controller with download upgrade capability, up to 10 probe sensing capability, with the probes being wireless. I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I'd love to be able to place a probe in whatever i'm cooking and not have to deal with the wire and transmitting box, or be limited to how many probes I could use. I could potentially have multiple grills going while being able to monitor them all on one controller.

Hey, a guy can dream right? :)

And keep it under $40 Canadian :tongue_sm

My Maverick does more than that.

Here's my vision of what it would be

A single controller mounted in a shockproof, watertight case such that the display can be seen, and anything can be manipulated on the screen while it's still sealed. I would just have a container of probes that are wireless. Maybe have dedicated pit temp sensors that don't need to be clipped to a grate. They could be shaped like an automotive socket or any design really that would sense temp. Maybe they could be magnetized so you could place them anywhere in the pit that was metal. The food probes would be like the regular probes we see now, just wireless. Then I could turn, spin, and do pretty much anything I wanted without having to worry about a wire, or having to re probe because the wire got in the way or wouldn't twist that way. It would also be invaluable to me because my smoker has different levels, that stack on top of each other. I constantly struggle with the temp wires when I'm messing with, turning, or just needing to manipulate something on the lower racks. The best way for me to do that is to pull the probe on the top rack, pull that rack, then re probe when I'm done doing something on the lower racks.

There does seem to be features missing from A, but B has them. Someone will come out with something eventually. How expensive it is, will be the big question.

As you said, some sort of wireless probes would be awesome....especially for use in a Rotisserie.

That Thermoworks dual probe meter would work very nicely for coffee roasting also.

I use an Amprobe TMD-56 dual probe datalogger and except for the datalogging part and the USB computer interface the Thermoworks meter does the same thing as my MUCH MORE expensive datalogger dual meter.

At around the $40-50 price it is a pretty good deal.

proxy.php

I went the iGrill route and it's worked well. Ambient stops reading above 400 or 500F, and meat probe works well. Alarm function, graph, etc. have never seen a comparison vs others, so not sure if a switch is necessary for me. Also like that it can be on my iPad or iPhone so I can continue food prep or other stuff.

I went the iGrill route and it's worked well. Ambient stops reading above 400 or 500F, and meat probe works well. Alarm function, graph, etc. have never seen a comparison vs others, so not sure if a switch is necessary for me. Also like that it can be on my iPad or iPhone so I can continue food prep or other stuff.

How is the range with the Bluetooth?

Probably tested to 100ft without issue (ie taking shower while grill heating up to temp).

Thanks, that's not bad. I'll have to look closer at the iGrill products. I'm very interested in the Tappecue wifi thermometer, but it's a lot of money ($200). For about $100 more I can get a Rocks BBQ Stoker that works over wifi and​ will interface with my Traeger allowing me to remotely change temperature settings. Pretty cool, but highly unnecessary and hard to justify.

Thanks, that's not bad. I'll have to look closer at the iGrill products. I'm very interested in the Tappecue wifi thermometer, but it's a lot of money ($200). For about $100 more I can get a Rocks BBQ Stoker that works over wifi and​ will interface with my Traeger allowing me to remotely change temperature settings. Pretty cool, but highly unnecessary and hard to justify.

My wife always finds it funny when I look at electric smokers that set and forget the temps. She says, what is the skill and fun in that.

I tend to agree. I look at BBQ and Smoking as a skill, craft and something I want to have some input in and have some aspect of user control.

If it changes temps,set temps, adjust temps, we might as well order in.

My wife always finds it funny when I look at electric smokers that set and forget the temps. She says, what is the skill and fun in that.

I tend to agree. I look at BBQ and Smoking as a skill, craft and something I want to have some input in and have some aspect of user control.

If it changes temps,set temps, adjust temps, we might as well order in.

I understand the point of view, but do you feel the same way when you cook your dinner in the oven? I also like to fiddle and be involved with the cook as it is happening to a point, but it becomes impractical to set aside 8-24 hours to cook/smoke a brisket,pork shoulder, or a slab of bacon.

I understand the point of view, but do you feel the same way when you cook your dinner in the oven? I also like to fiddle and be involved with the cook as it is happening to a point, but it becomes impractical to set aside 8-24 hours to cook/smoke a brisket,pork shoulder, or a slab of bacon.

Yeah, I guess you have a point too.

I think his point was that he and his wife just don't like to do it, not that it was a bad thing in general. It's a lot like shaving in that aspect. Carts and Gel are pretty set it and forget it, but a lot of us chose a different path.

Personally, I'd like to have both, although I wouldn't use the auto temp set unless I wasn't going to be around the cooker at all for a long period of time, which is usually never.

Top Bottom