What's new

Bay Rum Disappointment

If you get the Ogallala, get the cologne vs the AS. I like both, but the AS is an hour tops for me. Their shave soaps are pretty nice too, and their sampler pack lasts way longer than they say. He sent a sample of the Bay Rum and sweet orange bath and hair soap which is very nice. Doesn't linger long but I love the fragrance.

Just had a read of the bottle which I should have done in the first place.
Nowhere does it say that it's an aftershave or cologne.

Something that is not strictly aftershave/cologne but performs the function is pashana bay rum hair tonic. A very "clovey" bay rum scent, very powerful and lasts. For ages. And ages. It's cheap, too!

I have found Wm. Neuman Lime & Mint Rum very long lasting. Don't know if it's available in Australia. Also look into brewing your own. Many recipes available on this site. Youtube has an excellent recipe.

I like the name "bay rum," it appeals to me.I like bays( I was born, raised, and currently live 100 yards from one), and I like rum, I prefer dark rum, but I digress...
I do not, however, have love for any bay rum shaving products that I've purchased, especially those that smell of clove.

I know there's a bay rum for me, just haven't found it yet.

This is indeed a conundrum. Pimenta Racemosa(West Indian Bay Tree) is in the Allspice Family(Myrtaceae). The hint of clove is characteristic of all plants in this family. Although many bay rum producers do not add clove, the perceived undertones are present in varying degrees.

Captains Choice Cat-A-Nine-Tails. 7 hrs later and still smelling it! The best Bay Rum I've found. You won't be dissappointed:thumbup1:

My favorite Bay Rum scent is the original Captain's Choice ; it has no added clove, which is good for those who don't like their bay rums "clovey" (or too clovey!). But I don't find it very long lasting as a scent. The subtlest hints of scent linger a while perhaps. But everyone's skin is different... I don't find the Cat O Nine Tails lasts much longer, if any. On the other hand, "clovey" bay rums, including VIBR, last a while for me. The clove part does, at least, after everything else has faded.Maybe Meehan's will work. IIRC Meehan's says cologne and aftershave on the label. It's a light scent, sweeter than Captain's. I'm only bringing it up because of the word "cologne". On my skin, honestly, it doesn't last very long, either. It does smell great for a little while, though!Bigelow makes a Bay Rum cologne that lasts, but I don't much like the scent. Gilbert Henry also makes a bay rum cologne, which has some woods and some orange.... undecided whether I like it or not. I love the Gilbert Henry balm, which has the same scents, but balanced differently (or something).

This is indeed a conundrum. Pimenta Racemosa(West Indian Bay Tree) is in the Allspice Family(Myrtaceae). The hint of clove is characteristic of all plants in this family. Although many bay rum producers do not add clove, the perceived undertones are present in varying degrees.

Awesome point made here. If it doesn't smell a little like clove, you ain't using real bay rum!

Don

Whatever you try. Put some on in the AM and have your better half see if they can smell it later in the in PM. Your nose can play tricks on you.

Has anyone tried boiling down some of these AS's into a concentrate that have short sent lives?

Whatever you try. Put some on in the AM and have your better half see if they can smell it later in the in PM. Your nose can play tricks on you.

Has anyone tried boiling down some of these AS's into a concentrate that have short sent lives?
+1 what most do not know is that you become desensitized to smell a few hours after you apply scent, I used VIBR this morning at 6am, when I wet the back of my hand where I also spread it, I can still smell it now at 7pm, so it does NOT vanish!

If staying power is your number one priority - Another vote for Ogallala. It stays with me all day.
I use a combination of the Bay Rum and Bay Rum Sandalwood (I buy a bottle of each, mix and re-bottle. I like just a hint of the Sandalwood. I find just the Sandalwood to be a bit too much.

Top Bottom