What's new

Barrister and Manns Bay Rum? Opinions?

Thinking on purchasing a tub of Barrister and Mann Bay Rum and matching aftershave balm.

How good is it? Lather? slickness? and lasting scent?
Curious before jumping in on it!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
It is my experience that B&M soap and aftershave are excellent. I am not able to describe why but it works very well for me. I have no experience with bay rum of any type so can't comment on that.

I like it a lot. No clove in it, it isn’t quite a traditional bay rum but it is very good soap for slickness and cushion. A top 5 base. Scent hangs around after splash (not heavily but is there) for a few hours.

I haven’t used the soap, but I love the balm. The scent is fantastic - no clove and very cinnamon forward. A little goes a long way and it performs great without being too thick. The only issue I’ve had is with the bottle itself. Mine came in a pump bottle and I found it a bit inconvenient. It took up a lot of shelf space and after sitting for a few weeks the balm separated a bit. It was almost impossible to mix it back together so I transferred to a small tub. It easily mixed back together and is Much easier to store.

Their profile - Barrister and Mann® is proud to offer our own version of a classic Bay Rum. Dispensing with the modern custom of using large amounts of clove, we instead blend real black strap rum with West Indie bay, sweet orange, cinnamon, and benzoin (a vanilla-like resin). Our Bay Rum is a warm, masculine classic, a piece of history, and a favorite for winter, but is well-suited for any time of year.

My interpretation, it smells like a different any rum. Not boozy, but more burnt orange/cinnamon version. I just happen to like this soap base better than any other current bay rum. However, Ethos will release one by Christmas.

I would give the nod on scent to Captian’s choice. It is exactly what I expect and want bay rum’s scent to be like.

I used mine again yesterday and really enjoyed it. I have this Bay Rum as a set with the matching aftershave. I was enjoying the scent all day long following my shave. You can really sense the secondary scent components listed above. The lather is top notch.

The standard I use for Bay Rums is the difficult-to-find Mike's. Mike's has a straight up Bay Rum with some vanilla if I recall correctly. I just really like Mike's Bay Rum. The lather is not up to Omnibus standards but the scent is more Bay Rum essential oil. To me, this is what Bay Rum smells like.

Top Bottom