What's new

Barbaros Tr-2 and Tr3

I bought the seconds from Split seven a while ago. I must say that I have absolutely no regrets. It doesn't feel like the blackbird to me. It is smoother and affords a less shallow shaving angle so steeper shavers can enjoy it as well.

The TR3 is very efficient, delivering a BBS effortlessly and doesn't feel aggressive. The overall blade exposure is not the highest, so the shave longevity is slightly shorter than the blackbird OC.

Overall, I found myself loving the TR3 a whole lot. I almost do not use the TR2 at all, always reaching for the TR3.
Blackbird is more efficient than Tr3?

A little surprised the new ones are still in stock given how rare these have been. Hard not to pull the trigger on that beautiful new TR-3...

A little surprised the new ones are still in stock given how rare these have been. Hard not to pull the trigger on that beautiful new TR-3...

I have a feeling that this is artificially made and they either have a lot more razors than we were told or that they are made in somewhere else a lot cheaper. I've got mine a few days ago from a local website and it's brand new (the polished version with both TR2 and TR3 plates) and the seller claims that he has another one. What I find even more odd is the fact that I've paid around $125 for mine, which is way below what they are going for and I wonder how much did the seller paid so he can have a profit from all of this? It doesn't make sense.

G

Guest2023

I have a feeling that this is artificially made and they either have a lot more razors than we were told or that they are made in somewhere else a lot cheaper. I've got mine a few days ago from a local website and it's brand new (the polished version with both TR2 and TR3 plates) and the seller claims that he has another one. What I find even more odd is the fact that I've paid around $125 for mine, which is way below what they are going for and I wonder how much did the seller paid so he can have a profit from all of this? It doesn't make sense.

$125? Congratulations on your score!

Interesting. Nice score! Maybe just the price is making people hesitate. Also stonewash and not polished. I sure hope if they say there's 50 that there's only 50! Maybe the market just isn't huge for high end razors right now...

Thanks! I was just looking around a local website for vintage razors and I saw it. At first, I though that the price is probably much higher than usual, but after a quick research I realised that the price is very low and I asked the seller to send me a couple of pictures, because the ones he had was stock photos just like the ones from Ebay.

After seeing them I said ok, send me the razor to this address and after seeing it in person I will decide whatever I'm going to get it or not. In my country we usually use a cash on delivery instead of Paypal or any other ways of payment and there's also an option to see the goods before paying for them. That way if something is wrong, I will just have to pay for the delivery for both ways and that's it.

Truth be told, the only reason I've decided to buy it was because of the price, since this isn't a razor that I was very familiar with and it was an impusilve purchase.
Also stonewash and not polished.

It looks polished to me.

306783277_3346833858928553_2482327152540916163_n.jpg
306701207_3346833945595211_389825513464901858_n.jpg
307082797_3346833362261936_6019478923957989040_n.jpg

Crosspost:

To anyone who can: could you compare the Lambda Ares V1 or V2 with the Barbaros TR3?

I don't have the Ares V2, but by the looks of it, I think it's more comparable with the Fatip OC razors than anything else. It looks like an improved Fatip and I wish someone who owns both razors share more info whatever that's true or not, since I really like the Fatip OC razors and I might get an Ares as well, but currently it's on the very bottom of my wish list.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I don't have the Ares V2, but by the looks of it, I think it's more comparable with the Fatip OC razors than anything else. It looks like an improved Fatip and I wish someone who owns both razors share more info whatever that's true or not, since I really like the Fatip OC razors and I might get an Ares as well, but currently it's on the very bottom of my wish list.
The Lambda Ares v2 is nothing at all like a Fatip. The only things they have in common are an open comb, curved top cap, and a fluted handle - purely superficial, cosmetic features, if you choose to see them as similar. The head design of the Ares is unlike any other razor except the Lambda Athena.

I do have a Barbaros TR-3 and it has a lot of blade feel - kind of in Blackbird territory for feel. The Lambda Athena is massively milder feeling since it has zero blade exposure and zero blade feel, but it is also a very efficient razor. The Lambda head is designed to be highly efficient without blade feel, blade exposure or significant blade gap. There’s some discussion in the recent Lambda razor threads trying to analyse how this innovative design works and how it can be so efficient with zero blade exposure and only 0.3mm blade gap. It definitely works, though, and is very gentle to the skin.

The Lambda Ares v2 is nothing at all like a Fatip. The only things they have in common are an open comb, curved top cap, and a fluted handle - purely superficial, cosmetic features, if you choose to see them as similar. The head design of the Ares is unlike any other razor except the Lambda Athena.

I do have a Barbaros TR-3 and it has a lot of blade feel - kind of in Blackbird territory for feel. The Lambda Athena is massively milder feeling since it has zero blade exposure and zero blade feel, but it is also a very efficient razor. The Lambda head is designed to be highly efficient without blade feel, blade exposure or significant blade gap. There’s some discussion in the recent Lambda razor threads trying to analyse how this innovative design works and how it can be so efficient with zero blade exposure and only 0.3mm blade gap. It definitely works, though, and is very gentle to the skin.
I just bought a TR-3 matte finish from Bullgoose as they are clearing them out for only $200.

This will be my first Barbaros" I was outbid on a TR-2 a couple of months ago on eBay and Split7 is always out of stock.

I own but have not yet used my Ares v2: Running my fingers along the underside and tips of the comb teeth they are quite smooth, unlike my Blackland Era that had "spiky" feeling teeth and marginally comfortable shave (I used the number 3 plate).

Thread revival:

They had these on eBay & their Etsy store (same amount of stock on both sites!)
Brand new, not imperfect and in the brushed matte. I watched as the current
inventory started waning and when I saw that, I made an offer that I wouldn't be able to refuse.
Well, he accepted and it's on it's way to me from Turkey!

The Barbaros website has been permanently closed as of this week (It was online last week!)
Looks like this might be it for these!
The Etsy store still shows one in stock and has also been added to the eBay stock
so I'm guessing that one more is left.

The Barbaros TR-3 Open Comb with the Kalyon handle:

full

Last edited:
Oooooh, too bad I wasnt following the thread.
Came very close to buying one of their blemished combos last year ( or was it 2 years ago?) The guy from Split7 even suggested shipping it from Bulgaria so I wouldnt have to pay customs. He gave me some detailed shots of the blemished razor and it looks absolutely fantastic tbh.
Still felt the price was a bit much for this mysterious razor. There were some positive reviews, and I remember Harry recommended it. But... I didn't bite. Will be curious to read your shave report @LRod!

Top Bottom