What's new

Balea Sensitive Shaving Cream Review

So, I've got plenty of soaps and creams already, but part of the fun of this hobby is trying new products, especially super, super cheap products. Normally I don't review creams/soaps, but considering there's almost no reviews for this cream, I figure I probably should. Last time I was in DM Markt (for those of you who are unfamiliar, DM is Germany's largest drug store, and has pretty sound business practices and good employee work conditions, in case you're interested in that side of things), I picked up a tube of Balea Sensitive Shaving Cream with aloe vera. Balea is the store brand for DM, and the quality of their products is generally pretty good to very good, and the price is dirt cheap. This particular tube of shaving cream was 0.65€ for 100mL. That's about as cheap as you'll be able to find any shaving product around here.

balea-men-shaving-cream-sensitive-100-ml.jpg

The scent of the cream is pleasant enough, nothing special, just a clean yet artificial scent. The lather came very quickly, and with almost no effort, quite a decent volume. In terms of cushion, it was acceptable to good, not fantastic. Where this cream really fell down for me was in terms of slickness, which was nearly nonexistent. With the lather on my face, the blade was able to glide, but you certainly wouldn't call it slick. As soon as the lather was off however, it was so un-slick that it would be like you had just rinsed hand soap off of your face. In other words, you definitely could shave with it, but don't even attempt pickups or another pass over an area you just shaved, because the cream leaves no slickness behind at all. In regards to post-shave feel, I know a lot of you care a lot about this, but frankly I'm an awful judge of it, as I always follow up my cold water rinse with an alum block and then an alcohol based splash, so my face is always as dry as the Sahara even when I use a very "moisturising" soap (which is why I use Nivea cream after the aftershave dries). That being said, from the period between my rinse to the alum block, I would say that this soap is pretty drying, but not quite as drying as Arko, which despite being one of the standard bearing soaps to measure other soaps against, really dries your face out as soon as you rinse it off.

So, to conclude, you can't really compare this cream to anything else. The only two sub-1€ soaps/creams I would really recommend are Arko and Palmolive, and it's hardly fair to compare a 0.65€ store brand cream against these two tried and true budget performers. However, you certainly can get a close shave with this cream, and it (along with Florena, which I think is 0.70-0.75€) probably the best you will find at this price (if you don't want to spend the extra 0.25€ on Palmolive cream or ~0.35€ for an Arko stick).

Who would this cream be for? 1.) you're in Germany for only a couple nights, and either forgot to bring a shaving cream, or only came with a carry-on and didn't put a shave stick or chunk of soap in it, 2.) you already have/have tried Palmolive cream and want to try something different, 3.) you either already have several of the better (read, more expensive) German soaps (Tabac, Speick, etc) and don't want to buy more of them, or don't want to use the ones you just bought while on the trip, 4.) you want a cream you won't feel bad about leaving behind when you go back home, and/or 5.) like me, you're always looking to try new products.

I will try this cream again in the near future to see if I can remedy the complete lack of slickness by changing the amount of water I use when making the lather, and I'll report back. Even if the slickness still ends up being nonexistent, I will still use the cream since I can get a decent shave out of it, and I waste absolutely nothing.

Have any of you tried it? What's your thoughts on it?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I have not tried this cream before so I don’t have any further comments. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I use it brushless and it's great.
Like all creams it works much better than with a brush.
Just wet your face apply a small dab with your fingers and rub it in until it forms a nice slippery paste and go to town.

Thanks for the review. I have not tried this cream before so I don’t have any further comments. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Glad you enjoyed it!

I use it brushless and it's great.
Like all creams it works much better than with a brush.
Just wet your face apply a small dab with your fingers and rub it in until it forms a nice slippery paste and go to town.
I've never enjoyed using creams brushless. Perhaps I will try this one in that way, just to say I did, but yeah, I'm not a big fan of not lathering up with a brush.

Sad to hear that it isn't that good anymore. I only know the old version, which smelled ... well, let's say you had get used to it, but it was ok to shave with. Nice cushion, nice slickness, not drying.

Sad to hear that it isn't that good anymore. I only know the old version, which smelled ... well, let's say you had get used to it, but it was ok to shave with. Nice cushion, nice slickness, not drying.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't BAD by any means, it just wasn't as good as Palmolive cream, which would be the standard bearer for budget creams here. Cushion was fine, it was just the slickness that really was lacking, but that definitely could've been me. I was going to test the slickness again while I make dinner just by making a test lather with a different water amount, and then lathering it on my hand and feeling how slick it is once I rinse the lather off. As to the post shave, again, I'm definitely not the right person to judge that. I don't want to make it sound like I'm bashing the cream, it definitely was more than fine considering it was 0.65€, just I didn't get any slickness when I tried it.
And as always, YMMV.

So this cream is definitely easy to lather up, this was a different brush, and using a lot more water than I did this morning, and I still got a really nice lather.

B0793A01-49A4-4E75-9AC6-DD5470A4E8EA.jpeg

The slickness however still isn’t what you get from other creams. Sure, while the lather is there, you can glide across the lather, but there’s not much slickness when the lather is mostly gone, and once it’s all gone (say for example after a pass, or after a quick rinse), it’s so un-slick that the skin feels almost tacky. So if you’re shaving with it, make sure to only shave where you have a decent coat of lather! If you do that, it’s fine, it’s cushiony and all that jazz, but if you’re expecting to do a pickup after a pass, or if you’ve only got a thin bit of lather left, forget it.
YMMV
Next time I use this cream, I’ll try it brushless, just to say I did, even though I’m not a fan of going brushless.

I’ve used it twice, maybe three times. I definitely didn’t get a lather as in the photo, so maybe I need more water. The scent was certainly artificial; wet cardboard to my nose. I’ll use the tube, but probably only for second shaves before going out, as it is very gentle on my skin. If I were in Germany without a lather product, I would pass on Balea cream and grab a Wilkie stick.

Interesting... here's the ingredients list:

Aqua | Stearic Acid | Palmitic Acid | Potassium Hydroxide | Coconut Acid | Palm Kernel Acid | Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride | Propylene Glycol | Parfum | Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice | Glycerin | Panthenol | Tocopheryl Acetate | Cetearyl Alcohol | Citric Acid | Tetrasodium Edta | Sodium Hydroxide.

I’ve used it twice, maybe three times. I definitely didn’t get a lather as in the photo, so maybe I need more water. The scent was certainly artificial; wet cardboard to my nose. I’ll use the tube, but probably only for second shaves before going out, as it is very gentle on my skin. If I were in Germany without a lather product, I would pass on Balea cream and grab a Wilkie stick.

Yeah, for me it lathers super well, just doesn't leave even a trace of slickness behind. And the scent is definitely artificial, but I don't get wet cardboard from it, just a clean almost medicinal scent. Perhaps they've reformulated it?

I also would recommend splurging the extra 0.25€ and get Palmolive cream if someone is here for a bit and needs something to shave with, I just like trying new stuff, so I had to try it (especially considering it fits in my grad student budget). The funny thing is that for all the time I've been living here, I haven't seen a single Wilkinson stick, and I really want to try one! Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places, but the only solid soaps I see in most stores are tubs of Speick Active, a store brand in a tub, and occassionally Tabac sticks, everything else is a cream or comes out of a can.

So, I couldn't resist to buy the new formula cream. Had a shave with the old one yesterday, an this morning one with the new. To make it short: the new cream is crap.

I used a Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf for both shaves. With both I needed quite a bit of product (which I btw also need with the Palmolive shaving cream).

First, I found the new Balea cream a bit "sticky" (I don't know how to decribe it otherwise), so I added a tat more water and it was too thin in an instant. I relathered and shaved with the more "sticky" stuff, which was not a good shave at all. Slickness is barely there if any, and after the first pass the face feel was kinda weird. I woudn't call it drying but also more as "sticky", which was added by a slight tingeling to burning sensation. So I washed it all of and used Calani Oriental Plum to "recover". I finished the shave and threw the cream into the bin.

As I said, the old stuff was quite nice if you ignored the scent. The new one is just a joke. Aviod it. If you like Palmolive, buy that stuff (just 0,20 EUR more). Or invest 2,95 EUR and get the Speick shaving cream, and since you need only 1/3 of product to get a great lather (esp. with a synthetic), it is really not that much more expensive.

So, I couldn't resist to buy the new formula cream. Had a shave with the old one yesterday, an this morning one with the new. To make it short: the new cream is crap.

I used a Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf for both shaves. With both I needed quite a bit of product (which I btw also need with the Palmolive shaving cream).

First, I found the new Balea cream a bit "sticky" (I don't know how to decribe it otherwise), so I added a tat more water and it was too thin in an instant. I relathered and shaved with the more "sticky" stuff, which was not a good shave at all. Slickness is barely there if any, and after the first pass the face feel was kinda weird. I woudn't call it drying but also more as "sticky", which was added by a slight tingeling to burning sensation. So I washed it all of and used Calani Oriental Plum to "recover". I finished the shave and threw the cream into the bin.

As I said, the old stuff was quite nice if you ignored the scent. The new one is just a joke. Aviod it. If you like Palmolive, buy that stuff (just 0,20 EUR more). Or invest 2,95 EUR and get the Speick shaving cream, and since you need only 1/3 of product to get a great lather (esp. with a synthetic), it is really not that much more expensive.

Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one that found there to be no slickness. I didn't find this "stickiness" of the soap that you did, unless you mean of the skin and not the soap. But you're right, definitely worth the 0.20€ extra for Palmolive.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who couldn’t get a decent lather. I purchased mine in March, by the way, in Düsseldorf.

So as per Razorcan's suggestion, I used the cream brushless today (against my better instincts). Well..that was a mistake. The slickness did improve..a little, but not much. Like, you could actually feel SOME slickness, as opposed to no slickness, but at the cost of all cushion (which was more or less the one thing of the cream that was alright before). When you use a cream brushless, you need it to be slick as ice since there's no cushion, but even brushless this wasn't as slick as almost any other cream/soap I have even when they are lathered. My neck has quite a bit of irritation due to the lack of cushion and ALMOST complete lack of slickness still, so this experiment was a bit of a dud for me.

Thanks for the review. Will check out this and other items at DM next time I am in Germany, even though it does not sound like the bestest cream. Looks like they have a huge selection of different items, even a synthetic brush.

Thanks for the review. Will check out this and other items at DM next time I am in Germany, even though it does not sound like the bestest cream. Looks like they have a huge selection of different items, even a synthetic brush.

Let me just be clear, every other Balea product (which, just to reiterate, is DM's store brand) that I've tried has been FANTASTIC. They do have a synthetic brush, and a boar brush as well (which is essentially identical to the Wilkinson Sword boars), and all of their hair care, skincare, and oral care products have been top notch. That's why I was disappointed that this cream was really a letdown, because all of their other stuff is great. So when you're here, don't hesitate trying stuff just because it says Balea, for the most part they are excellent for the price!

I gave this one a go tonight for a second, pre dinner shave. I chose it because it is for sensitive skin and I was going to use it brushless for a one pass shave. After applying about 2" of cream to my beard, I decided to try to give it a lathering with a badger brush. It didn't deliver a large volume of lather, but it was more than descent enough for a pass and touchups. The post shave feel is pretty good, probably due to the aloe.

I gave this one a go tonight for a second, pre dinner shave. I chose it because it is for sensitive skin and I was going to use it brushless for a one pass shave. After applying about 2" of cream to my beard, I decided to try to give it a lathering with a badger brush. It didn't deliver a large volume of lather, but it was more than descent enough for a pass and touchups. The post shave feel is pretty good, probably due to the aloe.
Glad it worked out alright for you! I never did get it to where I liked it on my face, but I do use it every week to shave the back of my neck (both to use it up, and because I think I have no nerve endings in my neck, so it doens't matter what I use because I never feel the difference there anyway xD).

Top Bottom