What's new

Badger vs Boar vs Synthetic

I've been a B&B member just since September. In the short time I have been here I have seen (or at least perceived) a varying preference for brushes. When I first joined I would see a lot of discussion about how awesome badger brushes are, then I saw (or again perceived) a lot of discussion on how awesome synthetic brushes are. Now, within the last few weeks boars seem to be all the rage.

I understand and appreciate that all three have their place and are all good but I am wondering if anybody else has noticed what I have? Or maybe my inner child wants a new brush and can't make up it's mind which kind it wants and as it changes it's mind it see's more discussion on the one it wants now. Kind of like when you want or buy a cool new car you start to see it all over the place.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
On this site, you'll find that a lot of us tend to not care as much about things that are the rage for a few weeks as much as we care about things that are the rage for years, decades, or centuries.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Presently there are: boar, badger, synthetic, horse, boar/horse, badger/boar and maybe a few other combinations. Soon there will be other preferences. Choose carefully, kinda like The Matrix, red or blue?

I was thinking something very similar myself recently. For me personally any brush is capable of being a good brush, and it doesn't really matter what it's made of. I intend to try as many as I can and determine what's good or not myself!

I have noticed that boars were generating a lot of posts a couple of months ago, then lots of posts on inexpensive badgers, then synthetics.
I got the impression that people wanted to try something new, and asked some questions - and after many rounds of discussion, there just wasn't much left to say on the matter. I'm not sure it indicated a fad in the preferred brush types. It seems like most of the people discussing the differences had brushes of each type - and just liked to analyze the differences. Makes sense, since these are the same folks who tried 10 different razors and blades - even though the first combo shaved off their whiskers successfully :)

I just had a predilection that a traditional brush was a badger, so my first and current brushes were badger. I've been very happy with them and I don't see any boar or horse synthetic in my immediate future. Just being irrational...but happy. [emoji67]

My $0.02...

Last edited:
If a brush works for you, then great. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to try new things. Or sticking with one, or rotating between different types. it's your shave, and your shave is accountable to no one but you.

I think Badger and Boar have been quite well-received, here, for quite some time. I think the newer generation synthetics have recently improved and that is what you might be noticing.
I am not sure which brush(es) you have, but you might as well get one of all three and possibly a horse one and experience them for yourself so you can understand their individual properties! :thumbup:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yes, I've noticed that in all the forums. Certain topics get chewed on for a while and then dropped for a while. I actually like clicking on the links at the bottom and reading all the "badger vs. boar", et al threads from past years. Hmm, seems there's nothing really new under the sun.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Don't have a synthetic. In my experience a quality boar brush well broken in is comparable to many badger brushes in performance.

The only thing I've seen is more appreciation for the later generation of synthetics. When I joined, boar and badger were both held in high esteem. The brushes all work differently, but can produce the same results (lather).

When it comes to brushes, I use the brushes I enjoy using. The bulk of my brush collection is boar, I have a badger, two synthetics, and a horse.

I would like to add another badger, horse and a synthetic brush.

For me personally any brush is capable of being a good brush, and it doesn't really matter what it's made of. I intend to try as many as I can and determine what's good or not myself!

Couldn't have said it any better. Found out that Synthetics are my preferred brushes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have noticed that boars were generating a lot of posts a couple of months ago, then lots of posts on inexpensive badgers, then synthetics.
I got the impression that people wanted to try something new, and asked some questions - and after many rounds of discussion, there just wasn't much left to say on the matter. I'm not sure it indicated a fad in the preferred brush types. It seems like most of the people discussing the differences had brushes of each type - and just liked to analyze the differences. Makes sense, since these are the same folks who tried 10 different razors and blades - even though the first combo shaved off their whiskers successfully :)

+1

There are actually people here who only have one brush (I think there are three of them), but most people eventually end up with more than one. It's not as simple as badger or boar. Big or small? Scritch or soft? Tall or short? Backbone or floppy?

I have a badger I never use as it has no backbone and eats lather. I have another (Kent BK8) that is close to perfection.

I have a B&B boar that is fine for face lathering, but is the worst bowl brush in my collection. I have an SOC that is the best bowl lathering brush in my collection.

When your curiosity gets the better of you a post with specific questions (i.e. a boar brush for bowl/face lathering, not too small, soft tips, under $XXX) will get you lots of good suggestions.

i have tried boar,syn,and badger.badger won hands down.the others have become or are waiting to become badger.my ultimate favorite is my 24MM black badger.everyone has their favorites,and discussions go around to the different ones.its the same way with razors and such too.

Top Bottom