What's new

Badger Knot competition, FREE KNOT......

Less than six hours to the end of the competition.
Thought that I would update you guys about the Badgers.
I was at my friends place and skinned the badgers, first time for me, not a nice work.
Then I took the skinns home and put them on a piece of wood, and washed them with strong shampoo.
I have to wash them tomorow again because the hause for the water was frozen, so I couldnt get enoghf water.
This was hard work, I for sure understand why Badger brushes are expensive, I think if Im going to do it again, Iam going to wash and shave the badger, not skinn it.

Here are the pics.

$115.jpg$128.jpg$126.jpg$123.jpg

Last edited:
God morning gentlemen and a happy new year.

The first stage of the competition is done,( my number was 81) and the winners are

Grimas 42, for informative video and the text.

Dcpritch for #27.

Thanks everybody who participated in this contest, whitout this competition I would have gave up when I had to skinn the badgers.

I will get the hides ready today, and shave them when they have dried up.

Then I will send the hair to the winners.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm one of the winners and am stoked to get started. I'm already trying to decide what kind of handle to use - do I use a restored vintage handle or make something (I mean, have a friend help me make something) really extraordinary out of a piece of burled wood? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what would be best for such an extraordinary knot.

I'm one of the winners and am stoked to get started. I'm already trying to decide what kind of handle to use - do I use a restored vintage handle or make something (I mean, have a friend help me make something) really extraordinary out of a piece of burled wood? Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what would be best for such an extraordinary knot.

It'd be pretty hard to go wrong with burled wood. But since the hair is, in a sense, "found" material, consider going with a found object for the handle, either something like the amazing steampunk handle made from a light bulb socket (was that on this forum or 'that other' one?), or maybe a section of a wooden candle-stick. Or a piece of brass plumbing (or plastic plumbing?). But then any old brush found in an antique store or flea market would also be a 'found' object wouldn't it?

I know, I know, too many options is almost as bad as none. Anyway, whatever you choose, if you decide later that it just wont do you can cut or grind the 'wrong' handle away from the knot and start over. (That'd be a bit different from most of the 'restore' threads which focus on finding the right knot for an existing handle.)

Let's see your process and end result pictures!

I have some old knobs i maybe use but none of them seams realy "good for this hair".
I would like to find some old gearshiftknob for a 40-50s car, somebody that knows were to buy such a thing?

I have many vintage brush that are waiting for new knots, so I think I will use one of them. It really depends on the thickness of the knot I am able to make. Thank you so much for choosing me to be part of this.

I have some old knobs i maybe use but none of them seams realy "good for this hair".
I would like to find some old gearshiftknob for a 40-50s car, somebody that knows were to buy such a thing?

I wish I had one to send to you. Ebay has 7 pages of knobs, doing a quick search for "gear shift knob". I saw this thread last night, with a very nicely done elkhorn handle, and started thinking about something from the wild to match the Swedish badger hair, also from the wild. I have a few sets of antlers and I'll have to check and see if any pieces would be appropriate for a brush handle.

I wish I had one to send to you. Ebay has 7 pages of knobs, doing a quick search for "gear shift knob". I saw this thread last night, with a very nicely done elkhorn handle, and started thinking about something from the wild to match the Swedish badger hair, also from the wild. I have a few sets of antlers and I'll have to check and see if any pieces would be appropriate for a brush handle.

Thanks for the tip, will check it out.
Here in sweden its har to find stuff like that its a small country so the maket is a bit limited.

So gents, Finaly the bagers are shaved, I had some problem getting them cleand and dried.
I was not aloud to take them into the house ( my wife is so sensitive) and they didnt drieup in the garage.
Shaving the badger and cooming the hair took about two hours and was tricky, most of the hair I trowaway because it was to short.
I havent sort the hair just shaved from side to side and that was dificult enoughf.
I wonder how they do to just get the finnest silvertip hair, probably they sort it out after the shave.
So on monday Im going to post the knots to the winers, the knots are ap 25mm in diameter.
Here are some pics.$035.jpg$033.jpg$028.jpg

When I first read this thread I thought it was going to end up in a room full of blood and badger but its turned out fantastic!
great work

Top Bottom