What's new

Back to Basics

I looked at the list of ingredients on the NO soap and started researching. I found a recipe and instructional video on how to make your own shave soap that is pretty close to the Noble Otter (minus fragrance).

At some point, I’m going to try making my own. After startup costs, it shouldn’t be too expensive.

I looked at the list of ingredients on the NO soap and started researching. I found a recipe and instructional video on how to make your own shave soap that is pretty close to the Noble Otter (minus fragrance).

At some point, I’m going to try making my own. After startup costs, it shouldn’t be too expensive.
There are some older threads on soap here and many of the original posters are still here. But we could certainly use some DIY content on this forum. I have the equipment, but not the desire(or the lye). I will follow along if you decide to, I am certain this is how many of the small soapers get started(find a recipe online and think they can do it too). Just make sure you have enough super fat so you don't get lye burn!

Second shave with the Gem Clog Pruf. Two passes for a DFS+/BBS- shave with no bloodshed. Someone said it sounds like buttering toast to shave with this razor.

Observation confirmed. That’s exactly what it sounds like to me.

Thanks again, @Elliot for the PIF. I’m liking it a lot.

Had a great shave last night with the Clog Pruf SE I received from a PIF. Two pass DFS+.

My “collection” now includes:

Clog Pruf SE
RazoRock Lupo 72
Tatara Masamune Nodachi dark
Yates brass H w/brass handle (Yaqi?)
Gillette Slim
Blackbird SS

I’ve been looking at Feather shavettes (SR, SS, DX) and AC blades. Not sure if I want to do that or just dive into straights.

Had a great shave last night with the Clog Pruf SE I received from a PIF. Two pass DFS+.

My “collection” now includes:

Clog Pruf SE
RazoRock Lupo 72
Tatara Masamune Nodachi dark
Yates brass H w/brass handle (Yaqi?)
Gillette Slim
Blackbird SS

I’ve been looking at Feather shavettes (SR, SS, DX) and AC blades. Not sure if I want to do that or just dive into straights.
The Shave Supply still has the DX on sale, next chance will probably be the Jatai Black Friday Sale. :devil:

I really thought I was done buying razors. Thanks, @LRod for aggravating my RAD. Now, I have to figure out if I want to sell/trade my Nodachi (dark) for a Timeless bronze or swap my BB in stainless for a brass version.

Apparently I have time. I don’t have enough posts to list on the BST. That gives me incentive to talk myself out of doing anything and realizing that, yes I do like my top two razors.

In regards to my post cataract surgery recovery; still having issues. Everything’s too bright and my depth perception is weird. Had to go in for YAG capsulotomy (laser removal of scar tissue on the back of the lens capsule). My new glasses aren’t working properly, I get dizzy/disoriented when I look around.

Upside is I did find a pair of sunglasses that are fantastic for me. Oakley Holbrook Ti in Prizm Polarized Tungsten.

I really thought I was done buying razors. Thanks, @LRod for aggravating my RAD. Now, I have to figure out if I want to sell/trade my Nodachi (dark) for a Timeless bronze or swap my BB in stainless for a brass version.

Apparently I have time. I don’t have enough posts to list on the BST. That gives me incentive to talk myself out of doing anything and realizing that, yes I do like my top two razors.
Despite the Bronze Timeless being the best razor I've used, I wouldn't get rid of my Nodachi Dark. The Nodachi is still part of my top 5!
And about the brass BB:
Have you owned a raw brass razor?
I had a Karve Christopher Bradley and sold it. Two things I didn't like were that it smelled weird when you would shave (brass has a strange scent when it gets wet) and the patina comes on immediately. Bronze will also patina but it takes longer to happen so it's less time spent polishing. So if you like things to stay shiny (I do), brass isn't the best option. plated brass is a different story though!
I have a collection of cymbals and snare drums in different materials. So I've learned what works best in terms of maintenance.
If that doesn't matter to you, go for it!

Shaved last night with my BB/SS (Blackbird/Stainless Steel). Two pass DFS+. Can’t imagine the brass version being better or the Timeless shaving smoother. (I may have to hunt down @LRod and slap him around a bit 😎).
I've got zero experience with the Blackbird. Never bought one because I couldn't get past the look. So I can't compare to the Timeless. Many here on B&B can because they've got both. Maybe someone else can chime in on that comparison. I think you'd have to try the comparison yourself though since all of this is subjective.
In all seriousness, do remember though that Timeless has a 30 day trial period for new items and so does Blackland.
So you can try before you commit to sell any of your other razors!
So if your "RAD" has flared up, it's the perfect time to try. Just don't blame me!;)

Updated razor inventory:

Gillette Slim
Clog Pruf SE
Yates 921-H brass
Tatara Masamune Nodachi dark SS
Blackland Blackbird SS machined
RazoRock Lupo 72 SS
Feather SR AC razor

…I may have a problem. Tentative problem identification is: this message board is inhabited by a bunch of enablers.

Washed off the PC (Pinaud Clubman) and used the Feather to cleanup the lines of my beard.

IMG_6070.jpeg

I’ve been buying and selling “behind the scenes” (not posting about them until I formed my own opinion) and have decided that my top three needs a shaking up.

I want to try a RazoRock Hawk SS but, since I pledged to quit spending until we get our credit card paid off, I need to sell/trade one.

Top Bottom