What's new

Back from the dead

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
How’s it going?
Thanks for asking.

Slowly, lest I rush in and make a complete botch of it. (Which I've been known to do.)

All the metal components are still marinating in TSI-321, a synthetic ester that's a powerful penetrant. The stuff has darkened considerably as a lot of surface rust has sloughed off into the juice. Just received a new set of "Ω" springs, as the originals had rusted badly. (Also bought a Flytanium pivot tool to ease reassembly.)

Everything is at the point where a toothbrush is indicated to mechanically remove as much surface crud and corrosion as possible. May use a brass wire brush, too.

Next, I plan to wash the blade with detergent, then rinse with water and, finally, alcohol to completely dry it. Then I will attack the rusted portions as best I can with Q-tips dipped in vinegar. After that, it will be sanding, and, finally, reprofiling. (That should really make a mess of the blade coating.)

At least, that's my plan. But if the blade is too far-gone for my efforts, I'll reassemble the knife, pack it up and send it off to Benchmade. As Dirty Harry once said, "A man needs to know his limitations."

I'll post some photos of the blade as I rinse it and wash it.

I've never played with any of the BM coated knives, but Kleen Strip easily removes most all of the epoxy (non-ceramic, non DLC) finishes.

Dremel's abrasive buffers are a great place to start in removing rust and establishing a grain of polish from which to progress (e.g., start coarse moving perpendicular to the blade, then longitudinally with the next finer grit until previous grain is removed, repeat down to desired polish/grit).

You'll lose the clean bevel line, but you can send it for factory resharpen, or just be happy with your own handiwork (usually what I do).

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've never played with any of the BM coated knives, but Kleen Strip easily removes most all of the epoxy (non-ceramic, non DLC) finishes.

Dremel's abrasive buffers are a great place to start in removing rust and establishing a grain of polish from which to progress (e.g., start coarse moving perpendicular to the blade, then longitudinally with the next finer grit until previous grain is removed, repeat down to desired polish/grit).

You'll lose the clean bevel line, but you can send it for factory resharpen, or just be happy with your own handiwork (usually what I do).
Thank you!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Any further advancement on the restoration?
I've been putting off dealing with it, truth be told.

Everything has been soaking in TSI-321 since finding the knife. I'll either get to it one of these rainy days, or off to Benchmade it goes for some professional restoration. A lot depends on how badly corroded the blade is.

Thanks for asking. I'll keep the forum posted on my progress, if any.

Top Bottom