What's new

Aus post suspends sea mail

Legion

Staff member
I just read that good old Australia Post have suspended all sea mail post, so bare that in mind if ordering goodies from overseas. If the seller sends it surface mail, you ain’t getting it.

Last edited:
Australia Post are near useless.

It's likely christmas will be another joke with suspensions, delays, strikes, backlogs, lost parcels and complaints.
The management are near useless unless they are buying one another lavish gifts such as jewellery or spending $700k - $800k+ on indoor pot plants.

The company is a joke.

Legion

Staff member

It's likely christmas will be another joke with suspensions, delays, strikes, backlogs, lost parcels and complaints.
The management are near useless unless they are buying one another lavish gifts such as jewellery or spending $700k - $800k+ on indoor pot plants.

The company is a joke.
Apparently it is suspended because too many people are importing dodgy stuff. Option A, hire some more people to inspect the importations like they are supposed to, or B. Save money by laying off a bunch of people and getting rid of the whole service.

Hmm, as a chief executive how will I get my performance bonus?

Apparently it is suspended because too many people are importing dodgy stuff. Option A, hire some more people to inspect the importations like they are supposed to, or B. Save money by laying off a bunch of people by getting rid of the whole service.

Hmm, as a chief executive how will I get my performance bonus?
Seems like a cover for not spending on staff or infrastructure to deal with the standard influx of mail around this time of year.
The bigger the company the bigger to rorts.
I believe they were tooting their horn some time back about new revolutionary scanners that are able to keep up with the biggest of loads and still catch prohibited items. They must have been using that as a front for the media to cover for their additional "expenses" at the time.
It's always a case of one for you, four for me kinda thing.

You can't beat that managerial mentality.

The company is a joke.
Well well it seems that I have someone here pretending to be me imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as the saying goes. :)

Our orders shipping to our friends in Australia have taken months in the past.

The poor service is not a function of anything in Australia, it is human nature. Like postal services in many nations it does not have competition. And it is ensconced as never being allowed to have competition. In that scenario, customer service simply atrophies - no reason to do a good job, no reason to excel. It is a function of all monopolies. Here in the US, when they broke up the monopoly that was our phone system now all of the individual phone companies had to compete. Only then did innovation explode.

Legion

Staff member

The poor service is not a function of anything in Australia, it is human nature. Like postal services in many nations it does not have competition. And it is ensconced as never being allowed to have competition. In that scenario, customer service simply atrophies - no reason to do a good job, no reason to excel. It is a function of all monopolies. Here in the US, when they broke up the monopoly that was our phone system now all of the individual phone companies had to compete. Only then did innovation explode.
It's also a matter of money. Senior executives get bonuses based on performance, and performance if measured by profit. If they have to make more profit by reducing services and staff, so be it. And as you say, if you need to post some mail it's not like you can go to the OTHER postal service. So you eat the fact that the service sucks more and more with each passing year, and each year some CEO gets another fat bonus check.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sea freight container shipping has been on a downwards trend for service since Covid started. Ports closed around the world and backlogs started, it got to a point where vessels were lined up to berth out at sea and shipping lines just stopped excepting cargo to certain destinations.
With cargo congestion came the lack of empty containers. That flowed onto disruption in shipping schedules.
Give it time the global shipping issues will correct itself. To a point, it is already slowly improving.

It's a shame AU Post is stopping sea freight, it's a more cost-efficient method per kg than airfreight. Sure, it's slower but sometime that's no real biggie.

Well it can go both ways. Some times businesses can collude to set prices and the like. In Australia our electricity was once completely run by the government. It was much more affordable then when there was no profit motive and no problems with service.

I am sure that Fed Ex and others could be considered competitors to Australia Post.

Well well it seems that I have someone here pretending to be me imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as the saying goes. :)
I have had a few accounts here over the years and promised to make a shot of it each time but sadly life circumstances prevented me from taking part and sticking around. Ultimately I would forget my password or username and that would be that. I am trying a little harder this time around but yeah something always happens. Huge respect for those that are able to manage their time, hobby, money and life well.

Australia post also bought out its local competitor (Star track) a fair few years ago also. There is no real improvements on our end. I have looked at sending a parcel overseas via Australia post to the US and it was wildly expensive.
I believe when it comes to shipping containers and such I hear Maersk have a lot to do with the dramas also. I'm not going to hand Australia Post a pass on their poor handling of things but yeah everyone seems to want to profit using whatever excuse they can these days as they seem to get away with it much more these days.

Top Bottom