What's new

ATT M1 or R1?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have the M1, M2, R1 and S1. I think the M1 is milder than your razor. I would recommend the R1. Personally, I have not used anything but the S1 since it arrived - but it's the only slant I've ever used so I'm no expert on comparing that to what you already tried and didn't like.

Some of your choice probably depends on the blade. I like the R1 and S1 with a Med Prep/Lab or PolSilver SI, but it doesn't work as well for me with a Feather or Gillette Blue. I find it takes a few days to get used to a new razor. These are all nice - enjoy.

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. It's just what I was aiming for when I got into DE shaving--one setup I should enjoy using daily for years as opposed to the rotations many guys prefer. An ATT is the perfect razor for that purpose!

Totally agree, would prefer that one perfect razor as apposed to 10+ on rotation.

I have the M1, M2, R1 and S1. I think the M1 is milder than your razor. I would recommend the R1. Personally, I have not used anything but the S1 since it arrived - but it's the only slant I've ever used so I'm no expert on comparing that to what you already tried and didn't like.

Some of your choice probably depends on the blade. I like the R1 and S1 with a Med Prep/Lab or PolSilver SI, but it doesn't work as well for me with a Feather or Gillette Blue. I find it takes a few days to get used to a new razor. These are all nice - enjoy.

Yeah for my EJ89 the feather blades feel perfect, however I'm thinking Astra may be better for the ATT R1 as they're a bit less sharp compared to feather blades

The M1 is a terrific, mild razor that I think is very similar to the EJ89 -- blade gap is .76mm per B&B blade gap chart:
All the ATT razors are exquisite, and if you find over time that the M1 is a little too mild, you can buy an R1 or H1 plate to increase the aggressiveness factor. Their open comb offerings (M2, R2, H2, S2) are big favorites with many DE shavers too. If you look on the ATT website, they often have returns for sale at a reduced price -- check it out.

I love my iKon stainless steel razors too! Their OSS is a mild shaver and sports an open comb side, and a closed comb side.

$delme.jpg

Back on topic: I recently tried the EJ89 for the first time from the B&B Australian pass around box and it gives lovely smooth shaves.

I have currently a big ATT set on loan from a very kind member and would say, that the M1 is very close to the EJ89 - very hard to tell the difference in performance.

For me the R1 (which I have had now for a couple of years) is definitely a big step up. It is still not overly aggressive, but there is a definite step up from the EJ89 and M1.

If you are absolutely happy with your shaves I actually would recommend the M1. Once you grow up, you realise, that you don't have to prove to anyone, that you can shave with a piece of rock, but actually want a pleasant shave experience every day :lol:

I agree with the above...excellent post, Alfredus!

I agree with the above...excellent post, Alfredus!

Thank you sir!

Just to continue on from my last post - I just had 2 shaves with each of these plates (always with a Voskhod blade):
M1 - M2 - R2 - R1 (only one shave, but used to be my daily driver).

As it has been often said - there is a noticeable step up from the M to the R plates.
The R2 is too aggressive for me - in terms of face feel - but I don't think it gives a significantly closer shave than the R1.
The M2 however gave me a significantly closer shave than the M1. Still not as close as the R1, but has also a milder face feel than the R1 IMO.

And as a disclaimer - I usually don't like Open Combs. I have tried all the usual suspects (NEW LC, SC, Eclipse, R41,...) and I just don't like how they feel on my face...

Having said that: the M2 might be a very viable option for you - it gave me a closer shave than the M1 without being too aggressive. Sorry to throw that one in - don't know if you have ordered yet, but just trying to give you all the information I can.

I found the R1 to be an excellent head. I think its slightly more aggressive then the EJ89 - I done a 3 pass shave and I got BBS - got a few knicks on my neck but wasn't too bad for my first try with the Razor... But my god this Razor is lovely. The knurling on the handle and the weight of the razor is a thing of beauty.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but I see comments like this all the time. I don't think Stan ever intended for his guarantee to mean that people should buy razors they have no intention of keeping just so they can try them all and return everything but one kit, but it is turning into this. It's like people who will let a waitress schlepp them coffee for two hours, then leave them a quarter 'cause the check was only a buck. The intention was to give people a second chance if they bought something they weren't happy with. You return that head, and he has to go through the trouble of cleaning/sanitizing and then selling at a reduced cost. It's taking advantage of a seller who has what is maybe the best unconditional guarantee of any razor maker on Earth.

Obviously, he is still doing well enough on this endeavor that he hasn't pulled the plug, but if we (as shavers) keep this up, oh what the Hell, [faceplant]

Bombs away.

No bomb here. I fully agree. We should be delighted to work with artisans who provide customized services and attention to a niche community. I think we should look for ways to honor that effort by not consuming those services frivolously.

Top Bottom