What's new

Artisan aftershaves with BEST protection/healing/soothing?

In my opinion, this. I've found nothing that comes close to the healing/soothing properties of Emily's offerings. As my technique improved, there was less need to use it, but I revisited it about a year ago and I'm still using it. I recommend the bay rum, but don't expect a lasting scent that wows everyone around you; it's very subtle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know you asked about after shaves.. but for its healing properties and hydrating the facial skin, I haven't found anything better than Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel/Cream. I can't do scents anyway, so it's perfect for me.

If you really need "healing and protection", one of the best I know is Proraso green balm. I know it's not artisan as you asked, but to my mind it's one of the best. There are some ingredients in it that I don't find in other Proraso balms, and whatever it is (I dont have the list in front of me) it gives the Green balm an extra edge.
I only use it when I need "a little extra", like if I have been too rough on myself, which only happens very rarely these days.
The Proraso green balm is not one I use often, in other words (for daily use I am more of a lotion/splash person), but addressing what you ask, that is my 5 cents worth.

The main purpose of a traditional aftershave is to sterilize your skin. Anything else is a bonus but I wouldn't really look to aftershaves to "heal" your skin if you've had a bad shave. Balms loaded up with moisturizers aren't going to fix that either.

Most days I use an alcohol-based splash and then follow up with a light facial moisturizer.

It's been awhile since I tore my face up shaving but the last time I did (many years ago) I resorted to sunburn relief aloe vera gel from the drugstore. It helped a bit but the main thing I needed was time to let my face heal. This is not medical advice, just sharing a personal experience. Consult with your dermatologist if you have facial skin problems that need to be addressed.

For me the tops are:
Declaration Grooming
Ethos
Maol (RIP)

They all have great skincare properties without being too thick/oily.

I’ve tried several balms (Zingari, La Toja, Nivea, eShave), but I really enjoy the light sensation of Saponificio Varesino aftershaves. It’s like an oil, but the skin feels really “fresh” afterwards. It also contains aloe and witch hazel

Ethos skin food splash formulation is the best for me. I also find the latest Grooming Dept splash to be excellent and much improved. Barrister & Mann splashes are also tops though there is a sour smelling ingredient in them.

Top Bottom