What's new

Arko Shave Sticks?

What's the word on this stuff? Every once in a while I read someone say "have him throw in a stick of Arko" or "toss an Arko stick in there to round it off." Is this any good? What's it like?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What's the word on this stuff? Every once in a while I read someone say "have him throw in a stick of Arko" or "toss an Arko stick in there to round it off." Is this any good? What's it like?

It's about the best cheap shave soap around. Some people don't like the scent, but it fades pretty quickly. Get a stick and give it a try.

Very low priced

superb performer

very rich lather

smells like a urinal puck

a must-have in every shave den

Buying some in bulk, it cost less per ounce than any other soap that I've seen. It lathers very well, and is quite malleable, so it's easy to mold it into a mug if you prefer to use it that way.

The smell is very strong, particularly at first. Some don't like it. I don't find it unpleasant, but there's a bit too much of it. It will fade somewhat over time, though.

A very cheap, but very good shave soap. The only down side to speak of really is the smell. It certainly smells like a urinal puck.

The smell, while strong at the outset, isn't terrible. I rather like it. It delivers a great lather, and at the price point, it's hard to beat.

The smell, while strong at the outset, isn't terrible. I rather like it. It delivers a great lather, and at the price point, it's hard to beat.

Top has it right. The smell is more like Ivory Soap on steroids than a urinal puck.

Smells like a pee trough puck and thus far I haven't been particular impressed by it's performance at protecting my face. In it's defense however, it was used in my very small shower, where the steam may have broken down the lather. I also may have used a bit much soap as the blade was scraping undeveloped soap off my skin and clogging up the blade gap.

I took delivery of a stick a month ago, and it still sits unwrapped and unused. Maybe the Wizard will bring me some Courage. Not that there's anyting wrong with a urinal cake smell...

If you like Tabac or Williams (scent wise) you will (should) like the smell of Arko. Great soap with probably the coolest wraper btw.

Arko is very cheep, but an excellent shaving soap. Its almost as good as AOS IMO. The lather is fantastic, and on the quicker side for a hard soap. Plus its a stick so its just different to apply if your used to puck soap. Many people dont like the scent, but I'v never had a problem with the very mild scent of my two sticks.

If you like Tabac or Williams (scent wise) you will (should) like the smell of Arko. Great soap with probably the coolest wraper btw.

+1 on the label, however I dont think it smells anything like Tabac, but mine is a very mild smelling example.

Arko is a great soap, easy to build lather. As everyone mentioned the smell is rather soapy and strong. I don't rub this on the face direcly, rather build the lather in a bowl and then apply it on the face. This helps to reduce the smell somewhat. Also, once you start to use it, smell factor slowly goes away.

Did anyone mix(I think it is called superlather?) Arko with other soap? which soap or cream goes well with it.

+1 on the label, however I dont think it smells anything like Tabac, but mine is a very mild smelling example.

I don't think it smells like Tabac either, I just think it falls into that if you like this then you will like this category.

Arko is one of my favorite soaps. I like the smell of urinal cakes. I pick them up and rub them on my wrists and neck when no one is looking. The ladies like the way it makes me smell. Too bad Arko's scent doesn't last that long. It smells just like Williams soap to me. But, my gosh does it lather wonderfully. Little trick, it lathers EVEN BETTER when you mold it into a mug. Cut it up into little slices then layer and press down into a mug. :thumbup:

Arko is one of my favorite soaps. I like the smell of urinal cakes. I pick them up and rub them on my wrists and neck when no one is looking. The ladies like the way it makes me smell. Too bad Arko's scent doesn't last that long. It smells just like Williams soap to me. But, my gosh does it lather wonderfully. Little trick, it lathers EVEN BETTER when you mold it into a mug. Cut it up into little slices then layer and press down into a mug. :thumbup:

You are right, it does smell somethat like Williams soap.

Like everybody else has said, Arko is the shiznit. I actually like the smell quite a bit after it settles down after a couple of days. It smells detergenty to me. I was PIFed a stick by a fellow member and the first time time tried it I had a flashback to when I was traveling in Tanzania. The country, particularly the coast around Dar Es Salaam, has deep arabic roots/influences, and it seems like all the guys there use Arko. never knew it at the time, but as soon as I started lathering it I felt like I was back in a cafe, drinking chai, mangling their language as my new found friends smirked at me. :laugh:

Top Bottom