What's new

Arizona Coyotes moving to Utah as players told of NHL relocation in private meeting

Well Las Vegas Golden Knights figured out how to make go of it in desert.

Had the owner of Coyote looked, and learn from how Golden Knight became successful.

Maybe the YOTES could have turn around their operation.

brucered

System Generated
Well Las Vegas Golden Knights figured out how to make go of it in desert.

Had the owner of Coyote looked, and learn from how Golden Knight became successful.

Maybe the YOTES could have turn around their operation.
The "Coyotes", be it Phoenix or Arizona, have been around since 1996. That's not a bad run in a warm market.

Only time will tell how long the LV Golden Knights last. The LVGK had a much better chance right out of the gate. They had the expansion draft and were able to build a quality team from the first game. The Coyotes got handed a small market Canadian team that was not full of superstars and not a great team to begin with at that time.

I was there for the last game of the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 in the first round of the playoffs vs the Detroit Red Wings, sitting center ice, about row 15, courtesy of my work at the time. They had season tickets elsewhere but gifted me a pair of seats for the playoffs for Christmas and were going to contribute to buy that sear for me as far as they went....unfortunately, they didn't make it out of R1. It was still fun to be there for the playoff vibe and original "White Out" during their final Winnipeg run.

Last edited:

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
@brucered I often wonder how long the Nords/Avalanche franchise benefitted from the whole Lindros debacle. Colorado got an awesome team + all the comp that QC got for Lindros.

As great as Lindros was, the Avs were his dynasty!

Well the Yotes never did anything in Phoenix to attract fans, no winning season, nothing in playoffs. Dontb know sports marketing, but the Coyote Tickets were steep in a are with low wages, so this was expensive night for family of 4.

Lass Vegas is Tourist Mecca, and the Resort people can point guest with expendable income to a Golden Knight Game.

I really think the NHL and NBA business models just may be unsustainable for a lot of reasons that have been stated above.
Here in central Ohio, the Columbus Blue Jackets are pretty popular and play in a 20-year-old arena that's beautiful and modern. And they draw fairly well ... considering they're a lousy stinking franchise that never makes the playoffs! I used to follow them and went to games now and then. And one of my best friends taught me the game when we worked together years ago because he loves the game. But year after year of lousy, miserable, uninteresting, unexciting losing teams have caused many of us to finally roll our eyes and say, "No thanks" and avoid games like the plague. This should be a winning franchise. The organization has done a very good job of community outreach and education and appears to be reasonably sound financially. But they can't continue like this much longer without turning out a winner.
But, yeah, both the NHL and NBA have too many teams in too many cities that aren't matched to the sports. The right organization, the right owner can win over a city but it takes a lot of work. And, yeah, they'd better win eventually, baby, or they'll be gone, gone, gone ...

Last edited:
First off Professional Sports Fandom has become a passion for many, personally would not loose sleep over never seeing Pro sports on TV, or in person. Been in Valley of sun since 1998, can count on one had number of Pro Sports Event I have been at.

We got it all in Valley of Sun, NBA, WNBA, MLB, MLB Spring Training, NHL, NFL, Drag & NACSAR Racing and honestly the price of admission to many event is nuts. Then they gouge you for parking on top of that. People pay with Credit Cards, and go deep in debt.

I see the Yote’s are playing last game in Arizona’s ASU Ice Rink and tickets are above $500.00 - $5,000.00+ way up high to see what? Last Yote's game in Arizona before move to SLC?

Than you have marginal food, beer, soft drinks, that are never marginal, over priced, and part of the EXPERIENCE?”

Might watch some of Masters on TV, will be cheering for no one me just watching Golf.

Having been around some Pro Athletes during working years, most have no team loyalty, it all about who will pay them most to play, or?

Recall years ago seeing young boy 8 years old approach Retired Baseball Player at Senior PGA Golf Pro Am I was covering for a job. Kids has legitimate Autograph Book, asks the guy to please sign my autograph book. Player says, “see me at net card show kid”. Not a class act.

If you love watch, or going to Pro Sports, Great. Not my cup of tea, remember having to go to event for work, it was just another job, few left any fond memories.

The one that was alway fun, was a Senior PGA Event, the old Golfer were all happy making money, most interacted with fans, was not a hard cores as real deal PGA Event.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in the UK the price of tickets to some sporting events has also gone very high. Football (soccer) is the most popular sport and a ticket to a top Premier League match will vary from around £100 up to £500 which would include VIP access and hospitality. Here in Cardiff, Wales rugby tickets are between £40 and £115. International rugby attendances are still generally high but it seems to me that many international matches are attended mainly by people who do not attend club games, have little knowledge of the game, and instead are simply attending for the 'event'. They drink copious amounts of alcohol, wear fancy dress, and desperately try to get spotted by the TV cameras. I wonder if this is partly responsible for the rise in prices as sporting events are seen as special occasions rather than a regular event through the season. Sports like these used to be regularly available to those of modest means but not any more. Now, club rugby attendances in Wales are at an all time low, a whole generation of children have never been to a rugby or football match, and what is more they have no wish to do so; few watch on TV which is often pay per view. Soon there will be nobody left who is interested and they will have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. On the plus side I can watch Cardiff Devils ice hockey team for about £20.

This is a great move for the team. Salt Lake is a cool town and the area is already a winter sports mecca, plus good transit.

Sigh...another team moving. 😥

Story by Charlie Wilson - MSN - 13 Apr 24

"The NHL's Arizona Coyotes are set to move to away from the city to the neighboring state of Utah in a heartbreaking blow for their fans - with players

shockingly informed just moments after the news had been broken.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The Arizona Coyotes

Coyotes players were made aware on Friday that the team is relocating to not only a new city but a new state, multiple outlets have now reported.

The team and its players are set to move from Phoenix, Arizona - an 11-hour and 600-mile drive to Salt Lake City, Utah with the owner on NBA franchise Ryan Smith, set to complete a purchase of the NHL team.

Players and officials remaining under contract have been told that they will have to relocate, with them set to visit Salt Lake City next week ahead of their move in the 2024/25 season.

Smith has been the owner of the Utah Jazz since 2020, before purchasing a majority stake in MLS' Real Salt Lake with him now poised to secure his third franchise in three major sports leagues - all based in Utah.

The Coyotes are set for a whole new rebranding, with Smith expected to change the name of the franchise.

The billionaire businessman has not hidden his interest in bringing an NHL team to the state, declaring his desire in January while stating that he had the financial capabilities to quickly facilitate a move ahead of the 2024/25 season.

The rebranded Coyotes will be expected to play in the Jazz' Delta Center, with the idea being to build a new home arena for the franchise moving forward.

The writing looked to be on the wall for Coyotes fans when they failed to secure a new arena in Phoenix last year.

The Coyotes play in The Mullett Arena - an Arizona State University campus - which is a facility less than a third the size of the NHL's next-smallest arena and one of the smallest in all major professional sports in the United States.

Now, the team will look to be relocating for the third time since it's integration into the NHL in 1979, after originally being the Winnipeg Jets and the Phoenix Coyotes - the latter coached by Wayne Gretzky.

In January, Utah received backing from its governor Spencer Cox in securing an NHL franchise. He said: "Utah has a long history with hockey, the strongest economy in the nation, a passionate sports fanbase, and the youngest and most active population. These factors make Utah ripe for the expansion of our sports and entertainment community."

Works Cited: The Arizona Coyotes Moving To Utah

proxy.php
"Utah is heaven on Earth". Travel Slogan
It was very disappointing for me because I was fond of the coyotes, especially these last few seasons. my mother lives in Utah so I guess she'll tell me how it goes. :laugh:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hockey Fans:
Any Team name suggestions?

a) Utah being the 'Beehive' state...I vote goes for the 'Utah Stingers'. 🐝
View attachment 1840354

....Why Ryan Smith reversed course with Utah NHL team nickname 🤷‍♂️

By: Jeff Tavss - Fox Utah - Salt Lake City - Apr 30, 2024

SALT LAKE CITY — Since the moment Utah learned it was getting an NHL team, fans have waited on pins and needles... or pucks and sticks... for word on what the club will be called.

Originally, it appeared that owners Ryan and Ashley Smith were content with simply calling the franchise some generic variation of the "Utah NHL team"during its first season before focusing on a real nickname in 2025.

However, last week, that position seemed to change as quick as Logan Cooley dekes out opposing goalies, and it might be a sign to the players in the Utah locker room about what kind of owners they're working for.

In an in-depth article detailing the team's move from Arizona to Utah, ESPN touched on how Ryan Smith has been working on making sure the players were comfortable with the move both on and off the ice.

Ahead of last week's fan party at the Delta Center, Ryan Smith made it known that he had hired a branding firm to help come up with a new team name and logo. He also alluded to a bracket-style system where fans will be able to vote on their favorite.

According to the article, Smith changed directions and is now making a push to come up with the team nickname ahead of the first year so players could "refer to themselves as something beyond 'Utah'."

The article also touched on Smith's first interaction with his new team, taking the former Coyotes players on an outing to an Arizona golf course where he asked questions "about what they needed from the new franchise" after years of playing for a controversial owner inside a 5,000 seat arena.

"He was a real beauty. He gets it," the article quoted a player source when talking about Smith.

Utah players have reportedly expressed "genuine excitement" about the relocation and hope the move to solid ownership makes them an attractive franchise for free agents looking for a stable franchise.

Since the party, there's been no word on when the nickname bracket contest will be activated for fans. As of Tuesday, nine nicknames have been trademarked by an LLC that is reportedly connected to the Smith Entertainment Group". [in my opinion...all these names we won't work...not cool enough :thumbdown
  • Utah Blizzard - Are we going to Dairy Queen...???
  • Utah Fury - Not a soccer club name ⚽
  • Utah HC - Too vague & generic
  • Utah Hockey Club - Too vague & generic
  • UTAH Ice - Waayy too generic
  • UTAH Mammoth - You've got to be kidding. 🦣
  • Utah Outlaws - Sounds like a minor league team name
  • Utah Venom - Too cartoonish...please...oh no
  • Utah Yetis - Abominable Snowman...come on now. There're 'said' to be in the Himalayan mountain ranges in Asia...not in Utah. 1714785536353.jpeg]
Works Cited: Utah-nhl-team-nickname

1714784000540.png
"Utah hockey:] the greatest ice on Earth!". Utah Slogan

Attachments

• 1714786193877.png
    1714786193877.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nobody can support our Gen 1 Winnipeg Jets team.

The US market is saturated and they keep putting teams in what I call Non-Hockey cities. Hot, summer sports driven. Some take off but it's usually only a matter of time before they start to have attendance dwindle and relocation talks start.
Agreed, and if they don't adopt "Utah Yetis" as their new name, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Then, the Yetis can face off against my Avalanche :pipe:

... Thom

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1715308674994.jpeg...by: Megan Brugger, Derick Fox - ABC4.com - May 8, 2024

"Salt Lake City - Utahns officially have 20 names to choose from for Utah’s new NHL team.

The finalists include (in alphabetical order):

[And where is my choice...'Utah Stingers'...hmmm? 🐝 ]. 🙄
  • Utah Black Diamonds
  • Utah Blast
  • Utah Blizzard
  • Utah Canyons
  • Utah Caribou
  • Utah Freeze
  • Utah Frost
  • Utah Fury
  • Utah Glaciers
  • Utah HC
  • Utah Hive
  • Utah Ice
  • Utah Mammoth
  • Utah Mountaineers [other than my pick...this will work...it 'flows' w/ lots of mountains in Utah & I 'voted' for this name 👍🏽 ]
  • Utah Outlaws
  • Utah Powder
  • Utah Squall
  • Utah Swarm
  • Utah Venom
  • Utah Yeti
“Utah’s NHL team is for the community and will be named by the community,” the Smith Entertainment Group said.

The first round of voting starts May 8 and will be open until May 22. Fans are encouraged to vote for up to four of their preferred names from this initial list of 20 options.

The next round of fan favorites and more details on future steps in the name selection process will be announced later this summer.

The new branding for the former Arizona Coyotes will not be ready in time for Utah’s inaugural season in the fall of 2024.

For the first year, the Utah NHL team will simply go by the name “Utah,” with no logo, no mascot and no official team colors. In place of any logo, the NHL team will just wear “Utah” on their jerseys.

“Once the team name has been selected, SEG will work diligently to craft the team identity – logo, mascot, colors, and other branding elements – which will debut for the 2025-26 NHL season,” the Smith Entertainment Group said.

Vote here today".

Works Cited: Utah NHL Team Name

1715310846159.png
"Utah hockey: the greatest game in the beehive state!". Utah Slogan

Last edited:
View attachment 1843464...by: Megan Brugger, Derick Fox - ABC4.com - May 8, 2024

"Salt Lake City - Utahns officially have 20 names to choose from for Utah’s new NHL team.

[And where is my choice...'Utah Stingers'. 🐝 ]. 🙄
  • Utah Black Diamonds
  • Utah Blast
  • Utah Blizzard
  • Utah Canyons
  • Utah Caribou
  • Utah Freeze
  • Utah Frost
  • Utah Fury
  • Utah Glaciers
  • Utah HC
  • Utah Hive
  • Utah Ice
  • Utah Mammoth
  • Utah Mountaineers
  • Utah Outlaws
  • Utah Powder
  • Utah Squall
  • Utah Swarm
  • Utah Venom
  • Utah Yeti
“Utah’s NHL team is for the community and will be named by the community,” the Smith Entertainment Group said.

The first round of voting starts May 8 and will be open until May 22. Fans are encouraged to vote for up to four of their preferred names from this initial list of 20 options.

The next round of fan favorites and more details on future steps in the name selection process will be announced later this summer.

The new branding for the former Arizona Coyotes will not be ready in time for Utah’s inaugural season in the fall of 2024.

For the first year, the Utah NHL team will simply go by the name “Utah,” with no logo, no mascot and no official team colors. In place of any logo, the NHL team will just wear “Utah” on their jerseys.

“Once the team name has been selected, SEG will work diligently to craft the team identity – logo, mascot, colors, and other branding elements – which will debut for the 2025-26 NHL season,” the Smith Entertainment Group said.

Vote here today".

"Utah hockey:] the greatest ice on Earth!". Utah Slogan
One vote for Mountaineers right here!

Big Blue Mascot GIF by Utah State University

View attachment 1843464...by: Megan Brugger, Derick Fox - ABC4.com - May 8, 2024

[And where is my choice...'Utah Stingers'...hmmm? 🐝 ]. 🙄
  • Utah Black Diamonds
  • Utah Blast
  • Utah Blizzard
  • Utah Canyons
  • Utah Caribou
  • Utah Freeze
  • Utah Frost
  • Utah Fury
  • Utah Glaciers
  • Utah HC
  • Utah Hive
  • Utah Ice
  • Utah Mammoth
  • Utah Mountaineers [other than my pick...this will work...it 'flows' w/ lots of mountains in Utah & I 'voted' for this name 👍🏽 ]
  • Utah Outlaws
  • Utah Powder
  • Utah Squall
  • Utah Swarm
  • Utah Venom
  • Utah Yeti

Vote here today".

View attachment 1843504"Utah hockey: the greatest game in the beehive state!". Utah Slogan
I'll bet Black Diamonds wins it. Naming a hockey team after another sport, though (same with Powder), seems a little sad. The most vomit-inducing one is Utah HC. It follows the practice of U.S. soccer teams pretending to be European and caling themselves "football club" to institutionalize their inferiority complex. No one's paying 100 U.S. dollars to see a club sport; have some self respect.
Utah is a unique place geologically and culturally, with so many threads to draw from.
Of the proposed names, Canyons is OK, but Canyoneers is better.
Along those natural lines, the Utah Monuments works.
If you want to get geologically wonky, the Plutons works. (Inevitably nicknamed the Utahn Plutons). Or wonkier still, the Red Beryl, for a local precious gem (and sounds like Red Baron). OK, that one's a little forced.
There's the obvious, the Utah Lakers, which oustiders will obviously think refers to the Great Salt Lake but which most literally references Utah Lake by Provo. If you don't care about Provo (or want to avoid using the same name as the Minneapolis/L.A. Lakers) Utah Salt Lakers is right there.
Finally, cartoonish mythical beasts have a very semi-pro ring to them, so Utah Yeti is dumb -- but people would certainly start to call them the Wasatchsquashes, which is all kinds of awesome.

Top Bottom