What's new

Are some DE blades louder?

Tonights shave was using a Muhle R89 with an AstrA Superior Platinum blade. I could swear this razor was singing twice as loud as it's average level. Anyone notice some blades giving more noticible noise than others?

Tonights shave was using a Muhle R89 with an AstrA Superior Platinum blade. I could swear this razor was singing twice as loud as it's average level. Anyone notice some blades giving more noticible noise than others?
Yes, and when I read the tittle I immediately thought of astra SS. That one sings compared to my usual BIC on the same razor.

It’s not a sharpness thing in my opinion since the astra is louder than the duller treet black beauty and that one is muted. BIC is sharper and also more muted.

I’m curious to see other opinions.

Thinner blades will make a different sound than thicker ones. The type of metal and treatment will also likely impact the acoustics.

There is a reason they call extra hollow ground straights singing razors. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think it has to do with the razor and its design from my experiences. I have a Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head razor made from 316 SSPolished and does it sound neat. It has a nice sizzling sound (1st pass most noticeable)as it snips whiskers and is just a little different than other razors, I think its the dual comb design and is a mid range razor also.

Yaqi Mellon head Stainless steel head. (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom