What's new

Aqua Velva Untruths and Rumors??

I've seen a lot of references to Aqua Velva not coming out until 1928 or 1929, as a "Mouth Wash" at that. I have yet to see any information other that hearsay that supports any of these rumors.

The truth that I can tell is that on 09 November 1917, J.B. Williams Co. applied for the Aqua Velva Trademark. According to the documentation it had been in use as an "Aftershave" since 27 October 1917. This is all supported by documents filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) that can be found in supporting documents online for the most recent renewal of the Trademark: "Aqua Velva"; Serial Number 71107273; Registration Number 0121027; Filing Date November 9, 1917; Registration Date March 19, 1918.

You can see the original Trademark label here:
USPTO TSDR Case Viewer

And the Filing Date Stamp here:
USPTO TSDR Case Viewer
and here as well as other places in the documents:
USPTO TSDR Case Viewer

In addition to the Trademark registration in 1917 for "Aftershave", there are references from J.B. Williams in Company Records held by the Connecticut State Library. The records state that J. B. Williams Co. was started around 1847, focused on producing "Shaving Soaps". By the early 1900s they were producing many other "Shaving" products including Aqua Velva.
A Guide to the J. B. Williams Company Records, 1853-1956 | Connecticut Digital Archive

Lastly there is printed advertising that can be found from the early 20s.:
Williams, Aftershave Bridge Playing Cards Games Mens, USA, 1920 Giclee Print at AllPosters.com

SO why exactly do people keep referencing Aqua Velva first coming out as a mouthwash more than 10 year after it has been clearly documented that it came out as an Aftershave? The idea that a company that was thriving at the turn of the century making "Shaving" products would make a mouthwash seems unlikely at best. It really does not meet the common sense test, so why do people keep saying it?

I certainly haven't read everything here, but I must say that I've never seen anyone suggest that aqua Velva was a mouthwash.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
SO why exactly do people keep referencing Aqua Velva first coming out as a mouthwash more than 10 year after it has been clearly documented that it came out as an Aftershave? The idea that a company that was thriving at the turn of the century making "Shaving" products would make a mouthwash seems unlikely at best. It really does not meet the common sense test, so why do people keep saying it?

Maybe they're mixed up and thinking of the Listerine ads saying you can use it as an aftershave.
Listerine as an Aftershave

listerine_shave.jpg

I remember hearing the GIs were drinking Aqua Velva for the alcohol, could be true. :001_huh:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I certainly haven't read everything here, but I must say that I've never seen anyone suggest that aqua Velva was a mouthwash.

I have used it on several occasions as a mouthwash... I was really tired and hungover. And gel toothpaste doesn't hold hair in place very well, but it cools the scalp nicely.

I don't think it was designed as a mouthwash but the issue was that soldiers were drinking it, and Williams was asked to change the formula to make it less palatable. Thousands of alcoholics have resorted to drinking a bottle of after shave, or "rub-a-dub" in a pinch.

I love the idea of listerine as an aftershave. I wonder if I can get a travel size to try out and see if it smells too terrible to use or if it is the next Clubman.

Has anyone here tried Listerine as an AS? Considering the sting in your mouth with that stuff, what would it do to your face? Luckily, I have none at home to try, but I will encourage anyone else to try it! How bad could it be??

Disclaimer, I am not a Doctor, Lawyer, or have any knowledge concerning AS or mouthwash and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, so.... I guess I am just a curious quack.

Everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

As a collector of Aqua Velva, and it various decanters throughout the years, I've read a lot about AV. I can honestly say, I don't recall ever reading anything about AV ever being a mouthwash. The only thing I thought of was the Listerine Mouthwash/Aftershave that was referenced above.

None of these claims have any tangible evidence and seem to be circulating the same seemingly inaccurate rumors.

Most notably the Wikipedia page for Aqua Velva in December 2008 makes claims to the Mouthwash aspect and the year of 1929. The Mouthwash claim was edited out in 2014 for lack of evidence. Also the year was edited in 1929 as someone cited an advertisement from that year. But still the Wiki page is horribly lacking any type of evidence. And now the main reference is this website.
Aqua Velva - Wikipedia

In December 2009 a user here 'Circa1929' asserted the same incorrect claims, I'm assuming based off of the Wiki page.
Looking for "OLD" recipes of aftershaves....

The reference again shows up in this thread form 2009:
Aqua Velva History

and again here in 2011:
Featured Aftershave - Aqua Velva

lastly in an episode of "I'd Lather Be Shaving" on YouTube

I'd still like to know where these rumors originated from and why. If it was just a mistake that just kept getting repeated why not just set the record straight once and for all?

I love the idea of listerine as an aftershave. I wonder if I can get a travel size to try out and see if it smells too terrible to use or if it is the next Clubman.

Has anyone here tried Listerine as an AS? Considering the sting in your mouth with that stuff, what would it do to your face? Luckily, I have none at home to try, but I will encourage anyone else to try it! How bad could it be??

Disclaimer, I am not a Doctor, Lawyer, or have any knowledge concerning AS or mouthwash and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn, so.... I guess I am just a curious quack.

Everyone be safe, be happy and Have a Great One!

Listerine thing is pretty cool, I'm game to try it.
I've used Listerine, the original yellow death flavor, as an aftershave. It works, but isn't the best smelling stuff. Don't use the others unless you want to become very sticky!

Top Bottom