What's new

aphorisms based on agriculture and nautical matters

Those are all good, but in particular I did not know a castrated ram was a "wether." Very cool all of these.

I wonder if "to glean" comes from farming.
It does, in biblical times God told those who farmed wheat to leave the edges of the fields untouched and leave the grain that fell to the ground while sowing, then those with no land and poor (gleaners) would comb the edges of the fields and get the grain leftover on the ground, thus giving them the opportunity to survive without expecting handouts, it was the way God protected the widows, orphans and less fortunate while also helping them keep their dignity and reputation.

Good posts. I knew the Biblical formulation of "gleaning," but did meaning of researching and gathering information to come to a conclusion come from that meaning or was it separately derived, I wonder.

And it is "off to the races!"

Did we say "in a pig's eye"? "When the chickens come home to roost"? "Put out to pasture."?

Naval overlaps with nautical. "Loose cannon" is great. We must have done "bull in a china shop." "A circular firing squad."

How about "to stack arms," which is usually used in the sense of "retiring in place"?

"I am short, so short I can walk under doors"--meaning my time in the service is fast coming to an end.

To "get one's goat."

"To egg on."

"To farm out"

"To take the reins."

"To go whole hog."

"To plow back."

"To put one's hand to the plow."

We must have down "separate the wheat from the chaff."

"A burr under his saddle."

"To walk on egg shells."

"big fish in a small pond"

"plenty more fish in the sea."

"tie of the iceberg"

"the coast is clear"

"to turn the tide"

"to tide someone over"

"to keep someone at bay"

"to rock the boast"

"the world is your oyster"

"lay your ship bare"

"hit the head"

"radio silence"

"a braodside"

"loose lips sink ships"

"here be dragons"

taken aback

the cut of his jib

pipe down

toe the line

in the doldrums

by and large

aloof

Dutch courage

wide berth

keeled over

showing true colors

all hands on deck

dead in the water

three sheets to the wind

hard and fast

high and dry

batten down the hatches

turn a blind eye

under the weather

full to the gunwales

chock a block

dire straits

a different tack

shipshape

take the helm

in the same boat

to cut and run

in the offiing

at sea

ships passing in the night

clear sailing

‘As the crow flies‘ - (Royal Navy) - When lost or unsure of their position, ships would release a caged crow. The crow would fly straight towards the nearest land giving the ship a navigational position. The tallest lookout platform on a ship was known as the crow’s nest.

‘Overbearing’ - (Royal Navy) - To sail downwind directly at another ship, diverting the wind from it’s sails.

‘Aftermath’ - A second crop of grass.

Those are good.

Belongs in the blacksmithing thread, but did we do "strike while the iron is hot"?

How about "burr under my saddle"?

"That dog won't hunt"?

"Greener pastures"

"horse of a different color"

We must have done "die in the yoke".

"dead ahead"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
’Third Rate’ (Royal Navy) - Ship of the Line. 64 - 84 guns on 2 decks

Funny how today "third rate" has a negative connotation, but back in the day, this was one of the top three ratings that made up the main battle ships ... the "ships of the line".

The lesser ratings ... 4 through 9 ... we're for scouting, patrol, and other purposes but stayed away from the big battles.

In many ways, "the mighty 74" was the backbone of Nelson's navy.

In Nelson’s time English regional dialects were so strong that the speech of many English sailors would have been incomprehensible to their fellow countrymen.
With the Scots Welsh and Irish thrown in, plus Dutch Spanish Portuguese etc, how did they manage to communicate.

HMS Invincible, a 74 due to join the British fleet and sail to Copenhagen was wrecked off Happisburgh Norfolk on the 16th of March 1801.

Happisburgh is pronounced Haysbruh or Hazeborough!

Top Bottom