What's new

Anyone use handheld binoculars for stargazing ?

I'm thinking about a nice 8X42 mid priced pair for stargazing. I'm 72 and wear glasses , so exit pupil and eye relief are important. Something around 25 oz for handholding. Looking at Kowa BD2 wide angle , Maven c1 or Athlon Optics G2....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I sure do.

$ is a factor, as is your age (pupil), and ability to hold. Bear the formula in mind.

I have 80mm Oberwerks on a monopod for deep sky, and 60mm satellite spotters. Light buckets!

You're definitely on the right track.

AA

🤔 I sure do.

$ is a factor, as is your age (pupil), and ability to hold. Bear the formula in mind.

I have 80mm Oberwerks on a monopod for deep sky, and 60mm satellite spotters. Light buckets!

You're definitely on the right track.

AA
that's a nice set up Ad Astra !.... I'm looking for a lightweight bino strictly for hand holding, but with great clarity, FOV and edge to edge sharpness ( without a Swarovski price !! )

Ad Astra

The Instigator
that's a nice set up Ad Astra !.... I'm looking for a lightweight bino strictly for hand holding, but with great clarity, FOV and edge to edge sharpness ( without a Swarovski price !! )

Mr. Mal, it's a fun hobby.

Satellite watching is a thing. The International Space Station (ISS) is one of the best binocular views, and it flies over your head every two weeks. Check it out ...

AA

Mr. Mal, it's a fun hobby.

Satellite watching is a thing. The International Space Station (ISS) is one of the best binocular views, and it flies over your head every two weeks. Check it out ...

AA
Good site !....I'm also on the lookout for those " flying triangles " !!

You are on the right track for lightweight for holding. I had a Celestron Sky Master that had great clarity but was too heavy. It weighed close to 9 lbs. I found that I rarely used it and ended up selling it.

I'm thinking about a nice 8X42 mid priced pair for stargazing. I'm 72 and wear glasses , so exit pupil and eye relief are important. Something around 25 oz for handholding. Looking at Kowa BD2 wide angle , Maven c1 or Athlon Optics G2....

I would recommend a 10x50 at a minimum.

Elbow astronomy is tough on the elbows and the neck. Consider using a monopod or a tripod.

I use a celestron Skymaster pro 20x80. However it can't be hand held or on elbows and I use a monopod for most star gazing.

20200328_112520.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Good binocs really are the way to go.

I'd like a 30" Dobsonian, but where are you going to store that?

Saw a guy towing one at a meet. Looked like a cannon!

AA

Late to the party...

But I have a pair of Nikon Aculon 10x42 that I use for astronomy and I love them. I also wear glasses, and the eye relief is right at where I need them with cups down.

Aculon is Nikon's lower-teir binos (mine were right at $100), so I think you'll be well served with any of their products.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I still use the Oberwerks for satellite spotting, but have upped the astronomy game: a thriftshop SE4 and assorted refractors as planet-killers, and a Seestar S50 for the faint fuzzies. Tools need to be specific to task... Never did get that giant Dobson...

AA

Last edited:
Top Bottom