What's new

Anyone here use a merkur 3 pc and a vintage gillette but prefer the merkur?

Yes you can!
I tried the merkur tonight with a feather blade and it was heaps better.
I need a sharp blade as I have very tough stubble, one of the reasons why I wanted to dump the M3 and get into DE wet shaving. I feel the M3 blades don't hold an edge, so I have to replace them every 3 shaves, and that costs a lot with cartridge razors!
So the feather seems the right blade for me and my merkur.
Now I need to get rid of 90 derby blades :D
I'll probably keep the derbys for my gillettes, just need to find someone here (edit: meaning here where I am in australia) that sells different blades at a good price.
I bought the derbys because that's the only large pack of blades I could get at an economical price. But I'll try a few more different blades anyway before buying more than five of them first I guess.

Late edit: I'm looking at getting a pre-set sample pack from WCS, but there's not really one I want. I obviously don't want feather, derby or merkur blades as I already have them.
I was looking to make my own sample pack by buying 5pc packs of:
Bic
Wilkinson sword
Gillette swedish
dorco 301
crystal
gillette 7 Oclock

I noticed they don't sell small packs of IPs, but they seem to have quite a following here and a full pack is only us$10. Worth buying a pack of them? That's about the price that Derbys here are at, if they are not sharper than derbys, I wouldn't want them.

Anything not worth trying?

J

Jarmo P

My opinion is if you mean Red pack Personnas that they are not quite as sharp as Derby, despite what is sayed on the review site blob.
They are quite smooth blade and I like them. And also too Derby.

I get tugging easy when I shave with those blades a 2-3 days beard growth. But I also get most irritationless shaves. Needs just to go slow.

Feather blades and my HD work only well for for a first shave. Next day I feel already too much skin taken. There is an exception with corking the blade. And I had good shaves for 4 daily shaves. As you found out, the shave is most easy, too easy in fact for a daily shave.

I use both a Merkur long handle and a 1956 SS flare tip. I had been preferring the Merkur but surprisingly got my best shave ever after popping a new crystal blade into the SS. I'm still new to wet shaving and don't know whether to attribute it to the razor, blade or improved technique. I'm working my way through the sampler pack and am definitely finding that the blades perform differently in each razor. I like shaving with the SS, there is something very cool about shaving with a 50+ year old razor.

i have a merkur classic and several old gillettes and i get great shaves from all
of them. i have to adjust my technique for each razor. the merkur demands
more attention than the gillettes and they are much more forgiving if i get sloppy!!!! if im in a hurry i always reach for a ball tech, the most forgiving of all:biggrin:
cheers
charliec

I tried really hard to like Merkur. Their long-handles are absolutely gorgeous pieces of equipment. Unfortunately, my eyes and my face don't agree, and I have been loyal to Gillette for some time now. I may try a "sledgehammer" slant, but if I don't like it then I'm going to have to 86 Merkur permanently.

In terms of heft, proportion and blade-attitude/exposure, the HD's pretty bloody perfect, IMHO. It is an extreme pity that Merkur don't give you the option of paying more for Vintage Gillette quality, as I'd sell my 12 DEs and buy 1 ultra-high quality 34c if it was available - I'm talking 316L steel or better, with v thick chroming and immaculate finishing a la Aristocrat, in a leather-lined, wooden box. I'd stick with that if it only existed. Instead, I switch from Gs to Merks and back, hoping that one of them will suddenly leap out and say "use me for the rest of your life!". It hasn't happened. I'm of the opinion that I'll need to wait till I can afford to get an HD made to my own quality-standards, which will be a very long time. My vintage Slant is very nice...I just wish I had a vintage HD.

I'm keeping adjustables out of this. I'm just trying to compare fixed head for agressiveness and optinum blade choices.
Ok I changed my mind again.
I started out with derbys, red tip = OK (I didn't expect miracles as I just starting out)
Merker LH classic = horrifying in comparison with derbys.

I took the advice here and tried the merkur with a feather. Good shave, I seemed to like the merkur now.
I tried another feather with the red tip, best smoothest shave ever. Seems it's not the merkur I started to like, but the feather, and the vintage gillette is still tops and it was half the price :D
But I've bought a whole different selection of blades from ebay seller dridiot and will try the razors yet again.

Top Bottom