What's new

Anyone ever been involved in a fake tracking number Scam?

Who is the tracking number with? This does not sound like a scam but rather an issue with the courier. If usps, go into your local post office and speak with the post master (not a clerk). They can find the package if it was misdelivered. It could have also been stolen off your porch.

If you look up the tracking /Delivery confirmation it says delivered..Shave souffle you might want to check with your neighbors to see if they got the package. This looks like a case of a package that was delivered to the wrong house. You just can't assume it was a scam.. The package made it to the final post office, on to the truck for the final delivery to your house. You weren't expecting the package for a few days., it's possible porch pirates may have picked it up as well, because it was sitting for. Quite some time.

Screenshot_20220721-121919_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
note that they purchased that mailer. however,it's not fully known if they used that specific envelope to mail your package..Perhaps,it was for the next person they were going to scam..
perhaps. I checked their post history on the other site and they sort of seemed legit.

Who is the tracking number with? This does not sound like a scam but rather an issue with the courier. If usps, go into your local post office and speak with the post master (not a clerk). They can find the package if it was misdelivered. It could have also been stolen off your porch.
It wasn’t brought up to my porch as the note said “in or at” the mailbox (what does at the mailbox even mean???) .

It wasn’t brought up to my porch as the note said “in or at” the mailbox (what does at the mailbox even mean???) .

That means that the mail man left it inside the mailbox, or outside the mailbox if it's to big to fit inside the box. Sometimes different mail people come and drop off package etc..people that aren't that familiar with your house as your normal mail person.

Last edited:
Shave Souffle..more than likely the package was left with then wrong house..that's what it looks like...I doubt it's a mail scam..I doubt the local postal worker that was in charge of delivering the package was in cahoots with the sender to try and rip you off..Most likely it was a mistake by the post man, or a porch pirate picked up the package..these things happen from time to time. Theres no insurance with first class mail..However, your only way to get your money back at this point is to dispute it. However, it looks like the original sender sent out the actual item..But it's mainly an ethical issue at this point should you choose to dispute..I'm sorry, as this has happened to me in the past..I just took the loss and moved on..

Scammed tracking numbers also happen. The tracking doesn't show the delivery address, does it?

This happened to me at the end of June. They can spoof a tracking number for something delivered to your town, apparently. I was supposed to receive a 14 piece all clad set, but the package "sent" weighed 3.8oz.

The form I got from USPS listed some other address in my town as the delivery address, and so I was able to get my money back from PayPal. If your purchase really was a scam, and you are able to follow up and get the information Paypal asks of you, you'll get refunded.

If it WAS just lifted from your porch or mailbox that's a different story.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Good chance it will eventually arrive. Ask @BigFoot about the package I mailed to him a couple years ago ……
That thing bounced all over tarnation. We gave it up as lost, Tim gave me some other stuff to replace it. The package eventually ended being returned to Tim. 3 or 4 months later I finally received it.

Responsibility to the OP:
It is possible they gave you someone else’s tracking number, that’s why it showed as delivered. In the case of the company that scammed me, I suspect they paid for one mailing label and reused the tracking number multiple times. But in that case they never put the item in the mail.

Scammed tracking numbers also happen. The tracking doesn't show the delivery address, does it?

This happened to me at the end of June. They can spoof a tracking number for something delivered to your town, apparently. I was supposed to receive a 14 piece all clad set, but the package "sent" weighed 3.8oz.

The form I got from USPS listed some other address in my town as the delivery address, and so I was able to get my money back from PayPal. If your purchase really was a scam, and you are able to follow up and get the information Paypal asks of you, you'll get refunded.

If it WAS just lifted from your porch or mailbox that's a different story.
Nope it only says the city it was delivered. That’s the main part of the scam. The scanner would basically send out a package maybe an empty box or garbage. It gets delivered to “someone” in the same city. One that occurs PayPal will side with the seller/scammer

If you track it online via the USPS website it won't show the final address. This is normal. Now whether it was mis-scanned, misdelivered, stolen from the mailbox, or a scam by the seller is another story. Wait and see what USPS says.

I said earlier, they take fraud and theft seriously, but their own incompetence, not as much. Still, they delivered *something* with that tracking number *somewhere* so they should be able to get some information on it and you can decide how to move forward based on that.

Although as I think about it, the person shipping may have to file a claim with them. Not sure what their current policy is, it's been several years since I had to deal with that. It's possible that if they can verify that the tracked item was addressed to you, that they'll give you the pertinent information about what happened.

Top Bottom