What's new

Anyone else steam their face before the shave? How?

Hello All, for about ten years now, i've been using a straight. One of the things that I do is to shave after a sauna at the local Y. Go in for 25 minutes, come out, shower and then shave. Shaving after the sauna is much nicer than anything else I've found (like shower to shaving at home). I was wondering if anyone here used a face steamer or something similar. I've noticed that Amazon has these face steamers that they sell and wonder if anyone has any experience with one of these. Or if you use the towels warmed up and wrapped around your face, what is your process?
Unfortunately, I am one of those with a very, very tough beard, so steaming the beard in the sauna made it a great shave. Again, once I discovered this, the shaving game was upped immensely.

I splash water on my face, lather and shave. Sometimes I’ll have a shower before. Sometimes not. I haven’t found any additional prep beyond lathering to make any difference. I don’t soak my brushes either. We have a tendency to overcomplicate things around here.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
My boy Greg Tardif knows how to get it done -

Looks silly, but looks like it'll work like a champ!
Kinda looks like this.

Screenshot_20240520_135916_Google.jpg

Hello All, for about ten years now, i've been using a straight. One of the things that I do is to shave after a sauna at the local Y. Go in for 25 minutes, come out, shower and then shave. Shaving after the sauna is much nicer than anything else I've found (like shower to shaving at home). I was wondering if anyone here used a face steamer or something similar. I've noticed that Amazon has these face steamers that they sell and wonder if anyone has any experience with one of these. Or if you use the towels warmed up and wrapped around your face, what is your process?
Unfortunately, I am one of those with a very, very tough beard, so steaming the beard in the sauna made it a great shave. Again, once I discovered this, the shaving game was upped immensely.
Those desk face steamers work great! But I don't think its worthwhile paying over 40 dollars for one.

I always shave after a hot shower and a bit of hot towel treatment. Sounds to me though like a great reason to get an at home sauna 🍺. My shaves definitely suffer when my hot water is running low and the pre shave prep is not on point.

Top Bottom