What's new

Anyone else NOT a fan of big wedge razors?

Never liked wedges much. Took the time to get a couple pro-honed by guys I trusted. Same deal. The shave just isn't up to par for me. Hollowing the blades was a good move imho.

Not liking them is understood - they are different beasts and I would not expect everyone to love them.

But - any blade that gives a 'rough shave' - is, IMO - not honed correctly.

With one exception all of mine are 1/4 hollow or near wedges. For my taste I like the momentum and heft that only a near wedge provides. I don't want to hear any feedback that comes from an extra hollow. Instead I love to hear my whiskers whimpering and whining :a48: each morning as I lift a Torrey to my cheek. Heh, heh...

As for honing, "Wid" is my honemeister in residence here. His abilities are without equal, believe me.

I love the way Gamma tiptoes around the hard truth.

I actually wrote a longish response saying the same thing, but then deleted it. After all, maybe your best friend honed it, but Gamma is right. In fact, every time I've rehoned a razor for myself or someone else that had been "professionally " honed, it's been a wedge. I think some people just quit too early on wedges. Just this weekend I had one sent to me and looking at it through the loupe, it was clear that over 75% of the scratches from the bevel setter were still there.

Find someone who can rehone it for you.

Thanks for the info, I might just do that someday or perhaps I will try it myself.

Not liking them is understood - they are different beasts and I would not expect everyone to love them.

But - any blade that gives a 'rough shave' - is, IMO - not honed correctly.
But that's the exact opposite of what most here would tell someone new to straight shaving who was questioning the edge on their razor. I've read a hundred threads telling people to lighten pressure, etc. rather than sending their razor to be honed after only ine or two used. I will re-do the honing to be sure, but I think the difference in weight/balance/feel/feedback of the razor has been leading me to use more pressure, causing the "rough shave". Lapping film should arrive today, got my marble edge tile yesterday

It is about 200 shaves since I used it last time, my thechnique must have improved by now seeing as I get virtually irritation free shaves. Perhaps I will try this razor pretty soon again so I can assess the cause of the roughness.

But that's the exact opposite of what most here would tell someone new to straight shaving who was questioning the edge on their razor. I've read a hundred threads telling people to lighten pressure, etc. rather than sending their razor to be honed after only ine or two used. I will re-do the honing to be sure, but I think the difference in weight/balance/feel/feedback of the razor has been leading me to use more pressure, causing the "rough shave". Lapping film should arrive today, got my marble edge tile yesterday

My response was to the thread above it - and that person isn't 'new'.

My response was to the thread above it - and that person isn't 'new'.

I was aware of that. The point was that properly honed razors with less than ideal technique can also give rough shaves. My theory is that for me the weight and the different/absent feedback leads me to alter my technique--more pressure--leading to a rough shave.

FedEx says my films are on a truck for delivery today, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I probably won't get it re-honed til next week. Ill report back then. Hopefully to tell you you are right and the previous honing job (by me) sucked ;)

A rough shave caused by an inexperienced shaver with a properly honed razor - isn't the fault of the razor.
Saying 'the razor gave a rough shave' in that case isn't quite right.

Of course - knowing one from the other, when new, might be difficult or impossible.
All of my first shaves were rough. They stayed rough for a while too.
Funny thing - I was using razors I honed and ones honed by 'pros' - no difference. All felt 'rough'.
Took a while to get a few things sorted out. 'Not bleeding' being the first of that series of goals.

Oh sure, I find this thread after I decide I'll learn how to hone on a full wedge. I guess hollows will seem easy now, at least :laugh:

Honing wedges isn't necessarily hard, difficult, or whatever.

If the edge/bevel need to be totally reworked, honing them can be laborious. Took me 40 min to redo the geometry and set a bevel on one last week. Not too bad really. Had to take off a good amount of steel to clear the pitting.

Any blade with rotten steel at the bevel will take a good amount of time on the stones though.

But - if the bevel/edge on a wedge are basically ok, it's like honing anything else.

Top Bottom