What's new

Anybody got the Yaqi Telstar?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
wow 48 dollars? i just bought it for 12 dollars on ali...
You have the Zamac version and the other is the Stainless steel version of the Telestar, I have the Lupo.72 and bought this one on a whim on sale for $8.95 Canadian. I'm just the curious type to see how it performs. Yaqi has produced a lot of different razor head lately. I bought some other heads for very cheap prices and will see how they perform also.

You have the Zamac version and the other is the Stainless steel version of the Telestar, I have the Lupo.72 and bought this one on a whim on sale for $8.95 Canadian. I'm just the curious type to see how it performs. Yaqi has produced a lot of different razor head lately. I bought some other heads for very cheap prices and will see how they perform also.
yeah okay... i have two more yaqi heads on the way

Ron R

DE SOTD, Wednesday, May 11th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Telestar (Zamak head model) - Mfg 2022> mid to upper mid range, has blade feel, I did my 1st shave with the Telestar and it did a great job on 1 days growth. Chrome finish is excellent with accurate machining when I flip razor 180 degrees with similar feel of blade. Good razor for folks who like some blade feel. Very affordable for a mid range razor IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP (3)- Sharp & Smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nice lavender oil scent with excellent lather qualities.(discontinued)
Brush : Yaqi Cola 22mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :9/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Yaqi Telestar razor with a Gillette 7oCock SP.
SOTD May 11 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I don't have the RR Lupo so I can't compare but the Yaqi Telstar is an impressive razor!

Full stainless steel with a beautiful machined/brushed finish.

It is an efficient razor, and fairly comfortable.
The shave reminds me of the karve D/E plates.
It has a medium/high blade feel but despite this, the blade control is good, with fairly low blade chatter.
I have to agree with your blade feel estimation and I own a Lupo.72 and just recently bought the Telstar Zamac head on sale because it looks similar to my Lupo with the corner safety bar cut outs but that is about all.
The lupo.72 or .95 has less blade exposure than the Yaqi Telstar and is much smoother a shave I have concluded. Lupo exposure for their 3 models(.58-.72-.95) are around 1-2.5/1000 of a inch where the Telstar is 5-6/1000 inch blade exposure, I did get a good shave with the Telstar head but noticed it was more aggressive, I thought I should mention this because you can buy the Telstar cheap but buyer should be aware it is not a Lupo razor! I did take some photo's with my USB microscope to check blade exposure if some one is interested in that sort of stuff?

Last edited:

Ron R

I just bought the head for $3 shipped during their live aliexpress broadcast. Nothing to lose.
I already have a Lupo Aluminum, which I like.
I almost got mine for that price but was not fast enough, I go a bunch of other yaqi razor heads for that price.
Enjoy, it will be more aggressive than you Aluminum Lupo or RR SS Lupo's for a heads up. Not over the top but more blade feel.

Last edited:
I acquired my Yaqi Telstar off of the b/s/t from a fellow shave brother some time back which came with the handle that you see pictured below. I’ve probably put in about 6-8 shaves with it over the time I’ve had it and I have gotten some pretty good shaves with it. I was curious too see how it would stack up against the SS Lupo as it seems it was modeled after that razor.

C2F70270-8466-4762-98E5-B4A27D6824A7.jpeg

I won’t go through a full description on how these 2 razors performed as the Yaqi Telstar is described quite well here in this thread on its performance and construction. The Lupo is pretty much a Juggernaut in the quality, economical and its make up that multiple threads can de searched and seen to describe its impressive attributes which are pretty much all well earned and I’m pretty much in agreement with.

Today these two went at it with 3 full passes on their designated sides with end results that were very similar. For those that know my shave caveats, I sing high praises upon the Lupo .95 SS because it delivers what I look for. Consistently great shaves that leans more towards the upper end (just slightly over the mid of the aggression level) but, in no way shape or form do I classify it as being overly aggressive or intimidating. The Telstar for me sort of falls into that same mode of efficiency with nice blade feel and ease of use. However, in my experience I feel as though it is not as refined a shaver as the Lupo .95 is for me. In this shave off it was apparent, at least to me that the Lupo was and is the smoother and easier shaver to work with. It felt more maneuverable and precise compared to the Telstar. The feel on the face was not as smooth with the Yaqi whisker whacker and felt just a bit more cumbersome. I think the finish is good but, compared to the Lupo it falls just a bit short. On blade clamping and the rigidity that it provides it feels on par with the Lupo if not better. Head profile is close to the Lupo with the Telstar having a slightly higher head height but, I don’t think it would make a difference for those that shave the mustache area and getting under the shnoze should be a non issue with the Yaqi Telstar. They both have excellent rinse clearing with very good lather holes for the suds and decapitated whiskers to exit with good flow through. Not a single issue with clogging from either whether it be one days worth of whiskers or a Jeremiah Johnson’s couple weeks full beard sprouting. They both handle multiple days of growth very well.

As I’ve stated previously above, fit and finish on the Telstar is quite good with not a single issue of alignment nor blade chatter. Support for one’s blade of choice is excellent with the added bonus of covered blade tab ends for those that look and require that particular aspect in a razor. Angle and maintaining that cutting angle is fairly intuitive and easy to reach within a few shave strokes. Feel in hand is equally good with a nice balance that slightly leans more to the shave head which I do prefer. The Lupo feels more weight bias towards the handle but, it does not hamper its shave performance and cutting ability. I’ve used a titanium handle on the Lupo (Timeless Crown) and it adds a superb feel to the Lupo which was already quite good with the RR Radio knob handle but, it changes the weight bias towards the head to near perfection in my experience. I don’t know if the Telstar would benefit as I assume it wouldn’t hurt it but, I haven’t tried it yet with a Ti handle. I will at some point give it a go.

In the end I found exactly what I had thought about these to razor combatants and that is that the Lupo .95 is the better performing and feeling razor of the two. I don’t think that the Yaqi Telstar is a bad razor, not in the least. To me though it just falls a bit short when compared to the Lupo, at least in my opinion during use. Both razors for the $$$ deliver excellent value/performance on one’s spending capitol on shave gear. The Yaqi for under $40 US just for the cap & base is a darn good deal and if purchased with one of the handles that Yaqi offers, it actually costs less than the Lupo SS full razor. Not a bad deal for a competent and quality made razor.

Ultimately, if you asked me which one I would recommend there would be no hesitation from me in referencing and suggesting the RR Lupo to any and all wet shavers. Depending on your needs from .58, .72 to the .95 on what one needs, the Lupo SS is the value leader in its class and punches way above its weight in every aspect equaling razors costing 2-3 times as much.

The Yaqi Telstar is a good razor. The Lupo SS is just a bit better. In my estimation.
Great shaves to all…

831F9BD2-2E23-4AFA-AD64-D8BA42145D62.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron R

I acquired my Yaqi Telstar off of the b/s/t from a fellow shave brother some time back which came with the handle that you see pictured below. I’ve probably put in about 6-8 shaves with it over the time I’ve had it and I have gotten some pretty good shaves with it. I was curious too see how it would stack up against the SS Lupo as it seems it was modeled after that razor.

View attachment 1463709

I won’t go through a full description on how these 2 razors performed as the Yaqi Telstar is described quite well here in this thread on its performance and construction. The Lupo is pretty much a Juggernaut in the quality, economical and its make up that multiple threads can de searched and seen to describe its impressive attributes With pretty much all earned and I’m pretty much in agreement with.

Today these two went at it with 3 full passes on their designated sides with end results that were very similar. For those that know my shave caveats, I sing high praises upon the Lupo .95 SS because it delivers what I look for. Consistently great shaves that leans more towards the upper end (just slightly over the mid of the aggression level) but, in no way shape or form do I classify it as being overly aggressive or intimidating. The Telstar for me sort of falls into that same mode of efficiency with nice blade feel and ease of use. However, in my experience I feel as though it is not as refined a shaver as the Lupo .95 is for me. In this shave off it was apparent, at least to me that the Lupo was and is the smoother and easier shaver to work with. It felt more maneuverable and precise compared to the Telstar. The feel on the face was not as smooth with the Yaqi whisker whacker and felt just a bit more cumbersome. I think the finish is good but, compared to the Lupo it falls just a bit short. On blade clamping and the rigidity that it provides it feels on par with the Lupo if not better. Head profile is close to the Lupo with the Telstar having a slightly higher head height but, I don’t think it would make a difference for those that shave the mustache area and getting under the shnoze should be a non issue with the Yaqi Telstar. They both have excellent rinse clearing with very good lather holes for the suds and decapitated whiskers to exit with good flow through. Not a single issue with clogging from either whether it be one days worth of whiskers or a Jeremiah Johnson’s couple weeks full beard sprouting. They both handle multiple days of growth very well.

As I’ve stated previously above, fit and finish on the Telstar is quite good with not a single issue of alignment nor blade chatter. Support for one’s blade of choice is excellent with the added bonus of covered blade tab ends for those that look and require that particular aspect in a razor. Angle and maintaining that cutting angle is fairly intuitive and easy to reach within a few shave strokes. Feel in hand is equally good with a nice balance that slightly leans more to the shave head which I do prefer. The Lupo feels more weight bias towards the handle but, it does not hamper its shave performance and cutting ability. I’ve used a titanium handle on the Lupo (Timeless Crown) and it adds a superb feel to the Lupo which was already quite good with the RR Radio knob handle but, it changes the weight bias towards the head to near perfection in my experience. I don’t know if the Telstar would benefit as I assume it wouldn’t hurt it but, I haven’t tried it yet with a Ti handle. I will at some point give it a go.

In the end I found exactly what I had thought about these to razor combatants and that is that the Lupo .95 is the better performing and feeling razor of the two. I don’t think that the Yaqi Telstar is a bad razor, not in the least. To me though it just falls a bit short when compared to the Lupo, at least in my opinion during use. Both razors for the $$$ deliver excellent value/performance on one’s spending capitol on shave gear. The Yaqi for under $40 US just for the cap & base is a darn good deal and if purchased with one of the handles that Yaqi offers, it actually costs less than the Lupo SS full razor. Not a bad deal for a competent and quality made razor.

Ultimately, if you asked me which one I would recommend there would be no hesitation from me in referencing and suggesting the RR Lupo to any and all wet shavers. Depending on your needs from .58, .72 to the .95 on what one needs, the Lupo SS is the value leader in its class and punches way above its weight in every aspect equaling razors costing 2-3 times as much.

The Yaqi Telstar is a good razor. The Lupo SS is just a bit better. In my estimation.
Great shaves to all…

View attachment 1463710
Gus, it is a good review comparison of the two interesting Stainless steel razors. I find the Telstar Zamak head which is the least inexpensive of the 2 different Yaqi Telstar's they offer(Stainless Vs Zamak) much more aggressive than the Razorock Lupo.72.
I will have to try a Steep approach(riding the bar) on next use down the road in my razor rotation. The finish on the Yaqi Telstar Zamak is good IMO.
I do not have the Stainless head but it should be similar to tolerances, the Zamak head was designed for affordability in different parts of Asia I'm thinking and for budget minded folks who want a inexpensive change like my self.
I did receive a great shave with the Zamak head but it was not as smooth as my Razorock. I would say it has more blade exposure than the RR Lupo .72 & .95.

This is the best reasonable accuracy photo's I could get with my USB microscope for blade exposures of the Yaqi Telstar and Razorock Lupo's .72 &.95.
Yaqu Telstar (Zamack) razor blade exposure)..jpg

Razorock Lupo .72 & .95 blade exposure taken. (click to enlarge the Lupo photos)
Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg
lupo .95 (2)(3).jpg

The RR Lupo.95 has a slightly narrower safety bar to give slightly more exposure.
Have some great shaves!

Gus, it is a good review comparison of the two interesting Stainless steel razors. I find the Telstar Zamak head which is the least inexpensive of the 2 different Yaqi Telstar's they offer(Stainless Vs Zamak) much more aggressive than the Razorock Lupo.72.
I will have to try a Steep approach(riding the bar) on next use down the road in my razor rotation. The finish on the Yaqi Telstar Zamak is good IMO.
I do not have the Stainless head but it should be similar to tolerances, the Zamak head was designed for affordability in different parts of Asia I'm thinking and for budget minded folks who want a inexpensive change like my self.
I did receive a great shave with the Zamak head but it was not as smooth as my Razorock. I would say it has more blade exposure than the RR Lupo .72 & .95.

This is the best reasonable accuracy photo's I could get with my USB microscope for blade exposures of the Yaqi Telstar and Razorock Lupo's .72 &.95.
View attachment 1463723

Razorock Lupo .72 & .95 blade exposure taken. (click to enlarge the Lupo photos)
View attachment 1463724 View attachment 1463725
The RR Lupo.95 has a slightly narrower safety bar to give slightly more exposure.
Have some great shaves!

Those are real good photos & close ups on their razor design/geometry, respectively. I don't know if both the Telstar Zamac & Stainless razor heads share the same geometry as I've only used the Stainless version but, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences between the two. Machined vs cast/molded is an avenue where variances can be seen and tolerances can become slightly altered in the finished product. Since the zamak head is cast, the potential for variances can be present and shave feel including quality of product can be more relevant in increasing or decreasing aggressiveness. Shave feel and performance can be all over the place with the cast model more so than with the more precisely produced Stainless via cnc.

It's good though that you noticed a bit more blade feel and aggression with shave qualities comparable to the RR Lupo. The Zamak Telstar could possibly be the better shaver over its SS counterpart.

Great shaves to you amigo..... :thumbup1:

Ron R

Sunday shave, July 17th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Telstar with brass nickel handle- Mfg 2022> well made zamak head with good coating of chrome, there is blade feel and I use a steep approach(riding the bar) and receive some stellar results with this razor. It is more aggressive than a RR Lupo.72 and not as smooth either if curious but none the less works well with good technique IMO.
Blade : Personna red (4) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice scented soap with excellent lather qualities(Aramis Scent)designed for Yaqi by Master soap creations S.A.
Brush : Yaqi Mysterious space 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow likes soft tips, gentle scrubber +excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer rapier + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Yaqi Telstar razor with a Personna red blade.
SOTD July 17 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I've had the zamak telestar for a while and rotate it in because I do enjoy shaving with it. I did wonder if the stainless steel version felt the same after reading the posts by @GlazedBoker and @Ron R . So I finally picked up the stainless on one of the sales and they shave similar but there are some differences. I like the sound of the zamak, reminds me of my Att Windsor Pro. It's not the same sound but it does have a nice audible feedback that I like. The stainless top cap covers more of the blade so the sound is more muted. The machining also does give the stainless more support, top and bottom of the blade with better clamping. End results felt similar, I did half with the zamak and the other half with the stainless. Both sides felt the same after and at the next shave. I think I prefer the feel of the zamak but the look of the stainless. The zamak sound along with the less rigid blade feels slightly softer than the stainless. Both have roughly the same amount of blade feel. I do agree with @GlazedBoker that the Lupo does feel more refined, and shaves better. For the price the zamak is a bargain for how well it shaves. If I had to pick 1 I would choose the Lupo 95, but I do like the telestar enough that I also picked up the stainless hoping it was the same as the zamak in stainless.
Stainless on the left.

Attachments

• 20220911_114747.jpg
    20220911_114747.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220911_114842.jpg
    20220911_114842.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 120

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I find this razor intriguing. Does it really have the geometry of the Lupo/WR1?

While it seems to be comparable, it seems to be based on another design I do not know.

I've had the zamak telestar for a while and rotate it in because I do enjoy shaving with it. I did wonder if the stainless steel version felt the same after reading the posts by @GlazedBoker and @Ron R . So I finally picked up the stainless on one of the sales and they shave similar but there are some differences. I like the sound of the zamak, reminds me of my Att Windsor Pro. It's not the same sound but it does have a nice audible feedback that I like. The stainless top cap covers more of the blade so the sound is more muted. The machining also does give the stainless more support, top and bottom of the blade with better clamping. End results felt similar, I did half with the zamak and the other half with the stainless. Both sides felt the same after and at the next shave. I think I prefer the feel of the zamak but the look of the stainless. The zamak sound along with the less rigid blade feels slightly softer than the stainless. Both have roughly the same amount of blade feel. I do agree with @GlazedBoker that the Lupo does feel more refined, and shaves better. For the price the zamak is a bargain for how well it shaves. If I had to pick 1 I would choose the Lupo 95, but I do like the telestar enough that I also picked up the stainless hoping it was the same as the zamak in stainless.
Stainless on the left.

I agree with your assessment though I can’t say anything in regards to the Zamak version. I’ve only the SS counterpart of the Telstar razor. It does shave well and gives a very close shave just not as smoothly and comfortably done against the Lupo .95 sb.

I find this razor intriguing. Does it really have the geometry of the Lupo/WR1?

While it seems to be comparable, it seems to be based on another design I do not know.
I can't compare to the WR1, I only have the lupo. The cap is taller on the telestar, the blade also looks like it's less angled than the lupo. Safety bar is much smaller on the lupo so the geometry seems different.
I did notice the telestar cap covers more blade than than the lupo, but the lupo has less sound feedback. The baseplate on the lupo looks like it supports the blade better and may be more rigid because of that and the bend of the blade. The new yaqi SS SB and DC more closely replicate the lupo than the telestar. Lupo on the right.

Attachments

• 20220912_193015.jpg
    20220912_193015.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220912_193149.jpg
    20220912_193149.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 86

Ron R

I can't compare to the WR1, I only have the lupo. The cap is taller on the telestar, the blade also looks like it's less angled than the lupo. Safety bar is much smaller on the lupo so the geometry seems different.
I did notice the telestar cap covers more blade than than the lupo, but the lupo has less sound feedback. The baseplate on the lupo looks like it supports the blade better and may be more rigid because of that and the bend of the blade. The new yaqi SS SB and DC more closely replicate the lupo than the telestar. Lupo on the right.
Great detailed observation of both razors and I enjoy both razors also but the Lupo.72 is a smoother shave IMO but end results are similar.
I like lather grooves on my safety bar razors if possible, there is a lot of folks that Ride the bar(Steep angle shaving) whether it is intentional or not. The grooves still allow some lather to pass underneath the bar and in theory should give more comfort to the shave(desirable for most shavers).
Razorock Lupo meets my checklist in all the boxes(316 SS, excellent quality control, excellent blade clamping, easy to work under the nose, Mid range, affordable for most....) that makes a exceptional functioning razor worth the purchase IMO.

Mine arrived today. I'll use it next week.
Opinions differ so much, I have no idea of what to expect from the Yaqi Telstar.

Ron R

Mine arrived today. I'll use it next week.
Opinions differ so much, I have no idea of what to expect from the Yaqi Telstar.
It has some blade feel(positive blade exposure) and you should not have any issues with it IMO. I use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle. It's a mid>upper mid range depending on your shaving experience IMO.

It has some blade feel(positive blade exposure) and you should not have any issues with it IMO. I use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle. It's a mid>upper mid range depending on your shaving experience IMO.
Any blade suggestions?
I am thinking Gilette 365.

Top Bottom