What's new

Any metal detectorists here?

334985211_1532923170564374_6138553532637094296_n.jpg

Found this the other day at a friend's house. My oldest find so far, 1917 Mercury dime. CTX 3030.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
This is a pretty good recent video about choosing a first detector. There are other options of course but these are the main modern choices. He also gets into other equipment and detecting info.

Looks like he’s recommending the vanquish especially for beach use. However the simplex looks amazing in all respects except beach / salt water. I’m disappointed that the vanquish uses AA batteries. seems so primitive. Also I’ve been reading that there can be difficulties in pinpointing with it. I still haven’t pulled the trigger so any nudging in any direction is appreciated!

Looks like he’s recommending the vanquish especially for beach use. However the simplex looks amazing in all respects except beach / salt water. I’m disappointed that the vanquish uses AA batteries. seems so primitive. Also I’ve been reading that there can be difficulties in pinpointing with it. I still haven’t pulled the trigger so any nudging in any direction is appreciated!

Yes sir the vanquish is a smidge better in saltwater beach areas due to being a multi frequency machine. But pretty much anywhere else the simplex will work great. You can use the simplex in those conditions as well but it will be more finnicky in salt. There is a separate rechargeable battery pack for the vanquish but its kinda pricey and adds to the cost of the detector. I was kinda disappointed with the battery life of the vanquish as well. Four aa batteries don't last very long. If I remember correctly it was around 10hrs. I have some fisher detectors that will do 25-30hrs on two lol.

Nokta also has their legend detector which is quite good for a little more money. Also they just announced the upcoming release of three new simplex models. I haven't read into what they do differently. There are alot of good detectors out there. Lots to choose from haha.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks — yes so many and so much research. So is the multi frequencies the basic issue for beach / salt water?

I guess 10 hours isn’t that bad in terms of battery life. It’s the added expense of it or possibly exploration of rechargeable batteries. I think I’m leaning towards vanquish.

Thanks — yes so many and so much research. So is the multi frequencies the basic issue for beach / salt water?

I guess 10 hours isn’t that bad in terms of battery life. It’s the added expense of it or possibly exploration of rechargeable batteries. I think I’m leaning towards vanquish.

Generally speaking simultaneous multi frequency machines will perform better in mineralized soil and salt. The high mineralization can cause falsing. I still do pretty well in my soil with a single frequency detector but I've heard salt water is much worse.

Most internal rechargeable batteries are around 12 to 14hr life. Some even longer. The rechargeable pack for the vanquish can last 30+ from what I am told. I'm sure whatever you choose will serve you well 👍. They all perform pretty well. Alot of it comes down to the extra features and preferences.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Generally speaking simultaneous multi frequency machines will perform better in mineralized soil and salt. The high mineralization can cause falsing. I still do pretty well in my soil with a single frequency detector but I've heard salt water is much worse.

Most internal rechargeable batteries are around 12 to 14hr life. Some even longer. The rechargeable pack for the vanquish can last 30+ from what I am told. I'm sure whatever you choose will serve you well 👍. They all perform pretty well. Alot of it comes down to the extra features and preferences.
Thanks appreciate your weighing in
I’m still working it out
Probably will pull the trigger after vacation. I’m expecting that I’m going to be a hobbyist at best but you never know. Once I find that gold bar of my dreams maybe I’ll be hooked.

Thanks appreciate your weighing in
I’m still working it out
Probably will pull the trigger after vacation. I’m expecting that I’m going to be a hobbyist at best but you never know. Once I find that gold bar of my dreams maybe I’ll be hooked.

Nice! Its a fun hobby! Most of what you find is just trash. But the small percentage of treasure makes it all worth it.

Now that sells it….
Finding trash 😂🤣🥲

I suppose I could take 300 odd dollars, hide it around the house and spend a few days finding it and call it a day. 😇
Hahahaha. Well the beach is one of those places you can pay off the price of a detector in one find. Alot of the stuff I've found was highly valuable. Some of it has been really neat though. All depends on the site and history of the site. In fact I think the detecting is the easy part. The hard part is getting the permissions that pay off.

While I like finding old stuff and valuable things I am just as happy digging change at my local parks haha. Gets me out and when is finding money a bad thing 🤣.

Trash is one thing I have seen a significant decrease in since getting the CTX. My Equinox was good at getting old crimp caps and aluminum cans.
Seems that every detector has a quirk like that. Always a trade off too. A filter used to reduce trash might also hide good targets. I learned to love the full experience haha. Just recently did an update on my nokta legend. I still have to get out and test it out.

Seems that every detector has a quirk like that. Always a trade off too. A filter used to reduce trash might also hide good targets. I learned to love the full experience haha. Just recently did an update on my nokta legend. I still have to get out and test it out.
I run it almost all metal. The iron is discriminated but everything else is allowed. The target trace and target pinpoint is the difference.

I'm returning to my friend's house on Saturday to hunt the 1/2 acre backyard. I found that 1917 Merc in the front yard. It was built in 1923 and the backyard used to be a nursery for a florist years ago. No telling what I'll find back there. Hopefully some silver half dollars are buried back there.

Well after the tax bill gets paid here, the war room has signed a request for a metal detector. I have always wanted to pan for gold and hike through old mining tales but local stuff will do. The misses has said she wants one, just when I read this thread lol. By summer we will have a Nokta Legend to use. If I would have known I would have not ordered my birthday gift of a titanium gem razor.

Nice! They are a blast! Really enjoy mine 👍
Well after the tax bill gets paid here, the war room has signed a request for a metal detector. I have always wanted to pan for gold and hike through old mining tales but local stuff will do. The misses has said she wants one, just when I read this thread lol. By summer we will have a Nokta Legend to use. If I would have known I would have not ordered my birthday gift of a titanium gem razor.

Top Bottom