What's new

Any Japanese straight razor gurus here

I have some questions regarding Japanese straight razors. Are there any gurus here that can answer questions for me?
Are the iwasaki blades actually some of the best or are they just the most highly regarded and collectible? Is the tamahagane steel really that much better than the Swedish steel or is this more of a collectibility prize for serious collectors?

Now there is a loaded question.....
I am no guru but there are early Iwasaki razors and current ones as the family is still in business...so yes the very early blades made by THE Mr Iwasaki are very sought after and very expensive.

Tamagahane steel is just a different blend of materials to make the base product, in this case a type of sand...what makes the blades so special is how the use 2 different types of steels together to make a very hard edge but a softer shell to allow it to flex therefore not a brittle as lets say swedish steel.

The down side here is when it comes to razors the edges are like lazors but the outer case, if you want to call it that, hones away quick if your not careful.

If you venturing down this rabbit hole you might want to try a cheaper kamisori before dropping big on a vintage Iwasaki.

Now there is a loaded question.....
I am no guru but there are early Iwasaki razors and current ones as the family is still in business...so yes the very early blades made by THE Mr Iwasaki are very sought after and very expensive.

Tamagahane steel is just a different blend of materials to make the base product, in this case a type of sand...what makes the blades so special is how the use 2 different types of steels together to make a very hard edge but a softer shell to allow it to flex therefore not a brittle as lets say swedish steel.

The down side here is when it comes to razors the edges are like lazors but the outer case, if you want to call it that, hones away quick if your not careful.

If you venturing down this rabbit hole you might want to try a cheaper kamisori before dropping big on a vintage Iwasaki.

So although the tamahagane steel is harder it is also softer? Do these blades not have the life of say Sheffield steel or German steel blades which can last over a century?

They tend to only use the tamagahane in the middle of the blade....think of it as a taco....hard tama in the middle and softer steel on outside... so the edge material is very hard and gives a great edge...the taco is a little softer allowing it to flex...so the outer steel technically will not last as long as the center steel.

In terms of "last"....if you where to hone them the same amount of time the answer would be no....the euro steel would win the longevity test.

Thanks! I think I will wait and venture into Japanese blades at a later date or maybe just look for a Japanese blade with Swedish steel. I hate the thought of excessive hone wear. Especially when I'm still learning

If you are learning to hone buy a shave ready razor from reliable seller that doesn't look nice. Make sure it is flat and easy to hone, if it comes shave ready you will know where the razor can get to.

Dont fear the honing of a kamisori....there are many available at very low and reasonable prices. But if your just starting out it can be more frustrating to shave with a tradisional one for sure.

If you are learning to hone buy a shave ready razor from reliable seller that doesn't look nice. Make sure it is flat and easy to hone, if it comes shave ready you will know where the razor can get to.

I actually got a "shave ready" wosty razor that ended up not being shave ready after all but luckily I have I found a wonderful member here, sfeile, that I sent it to for honing and he is going to send me one to practice on. I also have a Robert Williams classic which I don't plan on honing for a while (until I'm confident I won't ruin it) and I just won.a 13/16 wade and butcher on eBay for $33 that I can also practice on.
Honestly I've already gotten RAD

I actually got a "shave ready" wosty razor that ended up not being shave ready after all but luckily I have I found a wonderful member here, sfeile, that I sent it to for honing and he is going to send me one to practice on. I also have a Robert Williams classic which I don't plan on honing for a while (until I'm confident I won't ruin it) and I just won.a 13/16 wade and butcher on eBay for $33 that I can also practice on.
Honestly I've already gotten RAD
And there are so many beautiful and different Kamisori's.....lol.

I would definitely like to add a kamisori to my small, but ever growing, collection. Any brands stick out to you? Is Daishi good? Don't be bashful...feel free to school me

Honestly i go for looks....i have a KAMA which is a western version, a Rituki, a Cherub, a Pacheka and a few others that i liked the look of....i also have a true kamisori its very old and you can see the mating marks of the steels, its beautiful but its blade is small so its tricky to use.

but luckily I have I found a wonderful member here, sfeile, that I sent it to for honing and he is going to send me one to practice on.

Here I thought we were becoming friends, and then you have to go and post nice things about me.... What the heck man!?!? :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Now I know you are either delusional, or I'm full of more BS than I thought I was. :lol:

Well you did create possibly the greatest brush ever!
IMG_0903.JPG

Top Bottom