What's new

Any Feedback on "Brushless" Creams?

"Brushless"? Where's the fun in that?
I bought a sample size tube of Cremo last year, and tried it once. It worked okay, I guess, but I never used it again. I missed the brushing, whether face-lathering or bowl-lathering.

I suppose I should at least try it a few more times, and pay attention to how well it does its job.

When I'm rushed I use Clubman Shaving Cream. I found the scent a little heavy at first (not unlike Clubman AS), but I've grown used to it. It doesn't lather, but it gives good slickness and protection.

Must try the Stephan's! I love their aftershaves.

Lucky Tiger still manufactures Molle cream. It's quite good. It certainly takes a little bit to get used to, if you're used to whipping up a lather, but the slickness and skin protection that Molle offers makes up for it. Even compared to other brushless creams, Molle's consistency is akin to cold cream.

As I understand, brushless creams were once all the rage, presumably before aerosolized foams became widely available.

They work, but every one I've tried has been flawed in some way. My beard is sparse and most brushless creams go on transparent, so it's hard for me to tell where I still need to shave. Some are so thick and slick that I can't feel the blade, so it's harder for me to get a close shave. Some are kind of greasy and don't rinse off easily. Besides that, I really enjoy the sensation of face lathering.

It's a preference. I prefer lather.

There was a detailed review of PdP 63 cream here very recently. Check it out. It sounds like it's very unique.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've gotten good shaves from Dove for Men and Neutrogena. The whiskers come off just fine, but I only use them when pressed for time, as I enjoy the whole brush and lather ritual much more.

I’ve used DrH, TOBS, and Proraso creams brushless many many times. I scarcely notice a difference between brushless or building a lather with a brush. Using a brush is more fun...but not necessary to getting a good shave.

Thread revival. I've gotten lazier about doing the full ritual, so brushless is a bigger part of the equation for me.
Cremo Distiller's Bland is nice.
I also recently picked up a new brand: Hurley's. The tube I got billed the scent as sandalwood. I'm not getting that, but the product still smelled nice and was effective.

Truefitt & Hill No10 is a cream that can be used with or without a brush. I've only ever used it with a brush but it's a wonderful product and seems to slip under the radar for some reason. It's very reasonably priced too.

I'll echo the praise of Cremo and Kiss My Face. Some of the ones I've used in the past when I was going brushless were King of Shaves (is that still in production?) and Noxzema brushless (which I know is no longer made which is really a pity).

Managed to sway my wife into using an r89 but she doesn’t want to get into lathering.

Just bought a tube of Cremo after reading this thread for her. Here’s hoping it keeps her off going back to cartridges. 🤞🏻

I really like creams because most can be applied either way. I am a fan of Cremo because of its slickness. Other creams I use are Lucky Tiger and Geo F. Trumper's rose. I also likes Proraso Red, again can be use with or without a brush.

I enjoy lathering with a brush the best, but have come to appreciate the efficiency of brushless creams, and they are especially good when traveling. Cremo is my favorite of the readily available brands, but I think the best is Reuzel. It's even slicker than Cremo and leaves my skin feeling great. It comes in various sizes, including a 1 ounce tin, which is perfect for the dopp kit.

Hey everyone, I'm interested in a brushless shaving cream. I've never used one before (I don't think), but I'm about to pull the trigger on the Pre de Provence No. 63. What do you think? Quality product? I'll get the aftershave for it too.

Why do I ask? The sad truth is, getting me out of bed and getting to work on time, is still a challenge. That means every now and then, I'll shave in the shower. And I hate it. But it's a reality, so I'm thinking of legitimizing it by getting a nice brushless cream going on for the shower.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm completely sold on Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave. And it works for face lathering with a brush too.

Just finished the Hurley's I got back in March.
The way I used it most was as a base coat underneath MWF on days where I had skipped previously.

I'm completely sold on Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave. And it works for face lathering with a brush too.

Another proof how preferences can differ.

A Lucky Tiger Liquid Cream Shave sample was one of the few samples that I rinsed off my face without even completing the first pass.
But I freely admit, the pampering ritual of creating a rich lather with a brush is on of the attractions of a traditional shave for me.

Or, as John Rose said early on in this 2018 thread “Brushless"? Where's the fun in that?”

B.

My stepdad used Noxzema brushless cream in a tube for years before he passed away over 20 years ago. The first thing my mom cleared out was all his shave gear, including boar brushes and his old SS. I believe Noxzema was discontinued by then, but I know he had multiple tubes of it stashed away.

Top Bottom