What's new

Any Fans Here of the 16 Gauge?

As the title states, any 16 fans here. I have several 16's and I like them a lot; especially the ones built on a 20 gauge frame. The lightness of a 20 with the power of a 12.
cottontop

I got a old Mod 11 that belonged to my Grandpaw but I have not shot it in years because Ammo got hard to find but I am seeing 16 out in the stores again so I might have to bust it out.

I have an old 16ga semi auto I inherited from my grandpa. When I was a kid it was the caliber of choice for bird hunters.

It is not really a big deal. Sure you can't walk into any of the "Marts" and find 16 gauge ammo, but it is readily available. I just ordered and received a case of 16 gauge (10 boxes) for $59 and free shipping from Cabelas. Also, the local gun store down the street has a shelf full of it in several different shot sizes. A gun shop, just a few miles away always has 16 gauge steel for duck hunting on hand. So, as I see it, ammo availability is no excuse to criticize the mighty 16.
xvigauge

The sweet sixteen might be the perfect load for upland bird hunting. But, I think a lot of people want one shotgun for multiple uses. 16 and 20 gauge are great for upland hunting, but not so much for turkey or waterfowl. A 12 gauge has more than enough power for upland, and will work for turkey/waterfowl. That's just my opinion, anyways.

16 gauge guns really have the advantage of being light, though, which is exactly what you'd want for a gun you're going to carrying and walking in a field for hours on end.

Interesting, I've never really seen any 10 or 16ga ammo at stores here in Canada and not a lot of 20ga even. It's almost exclusively 12.

All of my hunting rifles are combination 16 gauge 8x57 rimmed Mauser. Drillings or cape guns.

I carry #0 buck for close in deer and during turkey/deer season a combo/mixed #4 / #6 load for the big birds

proxy.php

proxy.php

Man, Mick those are some nice guns.

Top one is an 1899 Austrian Hammer gun (16 beside 8x57 rimmed) and my favorite

Bottom one is a Merkel over under (16 over 8x57 rimmed) and no slouch. It is the lightest gun I own. Fun to carry around but you need to have a good hold of it when you fire it other wise it will beat you up big time. It's a natural pointer, up and on target like a good bird gun should be :yesnod:

The shots of the drilling breach came out a little blurry but this is what it looks like open (from the non business end)

16 beside 16 over 8x57 rimmed

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll raise my hand for liking the 16. I inherited Dad's Belgium Browning Sweet 16 that he used for quail hunting when I was a kid. He bought me an Ithaca model 37 in 20 gauge when I was about 14, and we walked many a mile behind the english pointers carrying those guns.

The wrist of the stock on the Browning was cracked when I got it, so I ordered a new stock set, saving the old one for posterity. I've taken quail with the old 16 since I've had it, but sadly the quail population has declined in this area.

Yep! I have my great grandfather's sweet 16. She ain't pretty, but shows my great grandpa used her for what she was built for: Hunting. 16ga with the A5 durability makes the perfect bird gun! Also have an original Belgium deer barrel for it, and that barrel shoots beautifully at 50 yards with cheap remington slugger rounds :)

Also have a single shot 16, a blast for manual launcher, and not bad for trap, with its wide beavertail forend.

But I shoot about 90% 12ga. Components are cheaper, as are factory loads around here. I do reload the 16, bought a whole bunch of Fiocchi (I think...) new hulls, a lee load-all, and I can make nice new loads for it.

The sweet 16 does well for me on the skeet field or sporting clays course. I had to order a special screwdriver set (Grace USA - VERY high quality and VERY good customer service) to take it down and clean it. DO NOT take an A5 apart unless your very mechanically inclined, lots and lots of parts... But Mine needed severe cleaning, and it sure runs better now!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My first gun was a 16ga.
Made by J.C. Higgins and gave to me by my grandfather.
Heck of a gun for a 13 year old boy. He gave me the shotgun and 2 boxes of ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of my hunting rifles are combination 16 gauge 8x57 rimmed Mauser. Drillings or cape guns.

I carry #0 buck for close in deer
Buck shot for deer will get you thrown in jail here, been that way since the '60s, slugs are approved ammo though. Those are some gorgeous guns no matter what you load them with though.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The sweet sixteen .. had one way back, JC Higgins double if my recall is correct. It is long gone, recollection is even in the mid sixties shell availability was spotty. I believe that there just weren't enough shooters, while a great compromise its like the .257 Roberts of shotgun shells ..

Can load my 12 ga down to a 16, 20, 28 but can't make the others into a 12. 12 ga Remington 870 Wingmaster 26" barrel with flush fitting chokes for 50+ years; weighs about 8 pounds, have others but could get along with just this one.

Top Bottom