What's new

Any 36 hr. Shavers here?

I have been a daily shaver forever. If I skip a day it's just feels dreadfully bad. In my desire to improve shaves and shaving habits, I've come to realize that my optimal shaving cycle is 36 hrs. Gives my skin a break and never looks and feels too shoddy. So a breakthrough thought was 'why not just let my face tell me when to shave. Every day and a half of course puts me at alternating evening and morning shaves. Only several days so far, but feels really perfect. Do any other B&Bers shave in this frequency.

I pretty much shave everyday, with a few days off here and there. I don't like the feel of stubble and feel like a slob if I have stubble at the office.

Normally I shave daily. If I miss a day it's because I didn't shower in the morning (such as if I need to do yard work or some such). I've gotten spoiled by the "face feel" I get from a high quality shave and (like the commenter above) also don't like the feel of stubble.

Yep, about every 36hrs for me while at work. Any longer and I’ll have the bum look. I tend to shave more frequently at home. The wife doesn’t like the scratchy face on her. The 8yr old, doesn’t like the “pokey” beard. The 16yr old girl likes facial hair on her age group. Or ”scraggly” un kept “beard” but what can you do.

I am a daily evening shaver, but love the 36-hour opportunity the weekend provides. Shave Thursday night, good for Friday, shave on Saturday morning, then on Sunday night. If I could, I would love a regular 36 hour interval.

My beard doesn't grow particularly fast, so depending on the aggressiveness of the razor I can definitely go 36 hours without shaving and still look mostly presentable. The Timeless .95 oc can get me to 36 hours and still look clean shaven (although if I run my hand atg I can tell it's not a fresh shave).

Whereas the Timeless .68 oc needs a shave every 24 hours to look clean shaven.

My skin needs a break and like you I've been working to find the optimal time for when to shave. I can occasionally shave every day, but I can't do that too many days in a row. I've found shaving 48 hours after my last shave is incredibly painful. I have no idea why, but man that leaves me with a lot of burn.

My optimal time seems to be every 4-7 days. By then I have a decent amount of growth and my skin has had time to recover. I don't mind having a bit of facial hair, but I'm not a fan of when it gets itchy. That tends to be day 5 or 6.

My skin needs a break and like you I've been working to find the optimal time for when to shave. I can occasionally shave every day, but I can't do that too many days in a row. I've found shaving 48 hours after my last shave is incredibly painful. I have no idea why, but man that leaves me with a lot of burn.

My optimal time seems to be every 4-7 days. By then I have a decent amount of growth and my skin has had time to recover. I don't mind having a bit of facial hair, but I'm not a fan of when it gets itchy. That tends to be day 5 or 6.

What kind of razor do you use? Multi-blade carts were a disaster for me to shave with more than once every 72 hours. After 72 hours it was fine.

Also, have you mapped your beard? When I was still learning how to use a DE razor I got far less irritation by only shaving wtg in my trouble areas (both sides of my Adam's apple) until I got the technique down.

Very sensitive skin here and my beard is not quite dense, so I’m getting the feel that 48-72 hours works best for me

Another thing to keep in mind is that the aggressiveness of the razor can dictate how often you can comfortably shave. Some razors I can shave with daily. Others I need to wait at least 48 hours before shaving again. It's mostly because I'm prone to ingrowns in a couple spots.

I have been a daily shaver forever. If I skip a day it's just feels dreadfully bad. In my desire to improve shaves and shaving habits, I've come to realize that my optimal shaving cycle is 36 hrs. Gives my skin a break and never looks and feels too shoddy. So a breakthrough thought was 'why not just let my face tell me when to shave. Every day and a half of course puts me at alternating evening and morning shaves. Only several days so far, but feels really perfect. Do any other B&Bers shave in this frequency.
This is a timely comment, as it's been in my awareness the past week.

In my mad quest to improve my DE shaving skills I found myself shaving daily. Damn the pain, full speed ahead I say.

In the months leading up to my DE transition (while still cart shaving) I dreaded shaving, and put it off for 72-96 hours. The discomfort (itch) from beard growth was outweighed by my dread of shaving.

For me, the itch sets in sometime before 48 hours and becomes intolerable for a week or more after that. Choose between my worst (most irritating) shave and the same time spent enduring beard itch experienced at the 48-72 hour point, and it's a toss-up.

So as my game improves, I'm coming to notice that there's not too much to shave at 24 hours, and 36 seems about right to me as well.

Most importantly however, I'll exercise some self control over compulsive behavior (yeah ... right), and make a shaving decision based on how much fuzz is on my face (how well did I "nail" the last shave) ... at least that's what I've been telling myself these past few days ;-)

... Thom

Last edited:
Personally i think there are 2 variables here. First skin, sensitive skin tends to need at least 48 h to 3-4 days before is fully ready for next shave. This varies base on the person skin and/or product use to help your skin recover after a shave, like balms, moisturiser and other product to help your skin barrier recover.

Second is hair growth. I myself have a slow hair growth which translates to, after 24 h I hardly see enough hair to justify shaving again, yes i can feel the stubble with my hand but still visually there isn’t much there. I believe if you go for a BBS shave you don’t need to shave the next day. Obviously there are people that grow a beard overnight but I don’t really envy them.

I would prefer to shave every other day so i can satisfy my itch for shaving, but in reality my optimal shaving time is every 3 days.

I shave every other day. It doesn't matter if it's morning or night, but I'm not required to be clean-shaven for my job either. I enjoy shaving and would probably be okay shaving daily, but it also takes time to do a nice 3-pass shave and I don't want to spend 20-30 minutes on it daily so I'm glad that I am an every other day kinda guy. To the OP's question, I'm not sure that I sense a sweet spot difference between 36 or 48 hours. However, if I wait for a 3rd day (72 hours-ish) then it's going to take a little more work to get to DFS or BBS.

I used to use a gillette Mach3 Power until it died and couldn't replace it. Then I switched to the Fusion Power @Wgg2017. I definitely had to wait 7 or so days before shaving with those. The first pass had a lot of tugging and pulling. Much less so with the power versions, The clean-up pass was minor and irritation free. I still have blades for both kicking around, but I switched to DE late last year.

I started with the Wilkinson Sword DE (very mild) from walmart, but then picked up the Henson AL13+. I've since picked up the Game Changer with a number of plates - .68P, .68OC, .76P, .84P. I've settled on the .76P as it seems to provide the balance of being a tad more efficient than the .68P and a tad less aggressive than the .84P. It's also really comfortable and smooth.

I have mapped my facial hair and shave accordingly - WTG, XTG, ATG. I'm fortunate enough to not have any crazy patches, but not fortunate enough to have elephant skin. My skin just doesn't take well to multiple days worth of shaves in a row.

Yes!

Need to shave but my skin will hate me: 24 hours
Too scruffy to live with: 48 hours
Enough time to rest the skin without looking like a hobo: 36 hours

It's just about ideal, especially if the shaves are relatively mild. Some of my favourite razor / blade combos can deliver a deep BBS that lasts 48 hours, but those are rare. Better a mild shave done more frequently.

Yes!

Need to shave but my skin will hate me: 24 hours
Too scruffy to live with: 48 hours
Enough time to rest the skin without looking like a hobo: 36 hours

It's just about ideal, especially if the shaves are relatively mild. Some of my favourite razor / blade combos can deliver a deep BBS that lasts 48 hours, but those are rare. Better a mild shave done more frequently.
Yup. This is me too! I started the thread to see if anyone who is doing the Day + 1/2 cycle found it too tricky to do. I'm thinking it's as I mentioned 'letting your face tell you it's time to shave, and not a conscious remembering when you shaved last. I'm thinking it will work, just makes sense. I might reply again to this thread at th we end of year.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Sometimes, less is more. :)

Top Bottom