What's new

Another Wolfman?!?! Yes but, a Bronze Guerrilla.....

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A delight to use in every aspect of the shave regime. What do I mean by that? Well, from the moment you pick it up in your hands the balance and feel is apparent of a quality shaving tool. The installation of a fresh new blade, the feel of screwing on the handle onto the top cap threaded stud feels like it’s turning on high precision bearings. That pinch or crunch of both plates stabilizing and supporting the blade with stern rigidity is a most sweet sound to my ears. When it comes to the actual shave itself, the feel on skin is simply fantastic with a rewarding and satisfying sound that proves it’s doing the work precisely as it was intended to do so. I know, it’s just shaving but, as a man who deals with precision tools and instruments on a daily basis one can appreciate the exactness, quality and precision that is felt from the moment you pick up a razor to the moment you set it down with a satisfying poop eating grin knowing it was a job very well done indeed.

Now, that goes for any shaving tool that uses quality control & assurance to make sure that a razor is up to specific standards by razor manufacturers and to certify that it’s within reasonable tolerance to be finalized and released for the wet shaving consumer. Other razors are produced in mass with cheaper materials at a much lower cost per razor and subsequently are much more affordable & accessible to the buying public across the globe. They still provide and execute on demand for a man or woman to get a great shave for minimal cash outlay. No harm and certainly nothing wrong with purchasing in the economical group as I have quite a few of very affordable razors and enjoy them just as much as the “luxury“ or “boutique” razors in my collection. However, I can’t explain to you in words what owning a high end razor made from an industrial grade alloy (stainless, brass-bronze, aluminum & titanium) with sufficient clarity or with verifiable data & numbers because it can’t be done. It’s a feeling of appreciation of that quality & workmanship that can not be passed on or described. It just has to be felt and experienced for one to at least marginally understand the thought process of said ownership. For an example that I think most can relate to, take a store bought cheesecake. It’s cheesecake that tastes pretty good, is easily attainable at a decent price so to speak and satisfies the need for something sweet & delicious for cheesecake lovers of course. Now, go to a world renown bakery that just specializes in just making a quality cheesecake that you ordered specifically to your wants and tastes and if it’s not readily available, they’ll get it made up and tell you it will be ready the next business day. The moment the first slice is cut and one places that first bite into your pie hole, it’s another level of cheesecake euphoria that only you and your tastebuds can perceive and rightly determine it to be a world class cheesecake and worth the cost. That’s somehow how I can describe the feeling and use of a regularly made razor vs the use of a precisely made “boutique” razor at a substantially higher cost.

Price discrepancy is a whole other bag and what one considers worthy or not is based primarily on one’s ideology of their personal economic beliefs and standards. In other words, there is no standard, just your own that should be tied in with your means of affordability and lifestyle.

The argument on what is the better way of acquiring, spending and using any specific shave tool will be an exhaustive debate that will ultimately achieve absolutely nothing for decades to come. Neither side of the cheap vs expensive dilemma will ever find a common ground that can be settled upon as it’s simply fruitless.

Point is, you live only once and when we leave this good Earth we take nothing with us to our graves. As men, we are for the most part simple creatures that take the most joy in the most simplistic of pleasures & activities. We protect, we care and we love those that matter to us the most. If you can do those 3 things, I’d say without much reservation you’ve lived a pretty good life and are a decent human being. Shaving is a requirement for most and a pleasure for some. One finds their razor that works and can live blissfully without another care or thought on acquiring another razor. But, if one can indulge for at least one high end, luxury, boutique or premium alloy shaving tool in their lifetime, I highly recommend one doing so if it is ever within their means to do so. Don’t order Filet mignon if your pockets only have Whopper designation. That’s being careless and not practical. Logic & common sense should be the norm in anything we seek to purchase. If it’s feasible though, there are plenty of excellent options out there to consider from the likes of Timeless, Blackland, Rocnel, Tatara, Wolfman, Lambda, Alpha Shaving, H&S, Carbon Shaving, Atelier Durdan, Aylsworth, Rockwell, Razorock and a few others that escape me at the moment. The one below is especially worthy of equal consideration as those mentioned previously, the Guerilla Bronze by Wolfman. No bling, nothing extravagantly shiny with a polish that rivals the brightness of the Sun. It’s a workmanlike look with a semi industrial look to it that sort of caters to the individual that loves quality tools like Snap-On, Armstrong and the once highly thought of Craftsman Tools. Designed perfectly with no extra frills, polish or visual aesthetics that bring nothing extra for its stated purpose. That purpose is to provide a more than just satisfactory shave but, also bring as an added bonus pride of ownership that will outlast one’s lifetime and if considered can be passed on to the next generation as part of an individual’s legacy. A Vintage Gillette can do that just as well and so can these artisan crafted masterpieces that will become classics & collectibles in the foreseeable future if not so for some of them already.

The Guerilla Series is designed to cater and fit any shaver that either wants, light, heavy, exotic, open comb or closed and varying options on gap sizes with impeccable scrutiny to tolerances & fitment. It’s not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but, I do consider it a worthy investment if one high end razor is the goal. For me it delivers on all points for my shaving needs.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1785754
Brilliant post, Gus.

An exquisite and ultra satisfying shave this morning. The Brass Guerilla with the .84 is such an excellent compromise between the .69 & .99 plates. Think of it as the Goldilocks zone for this particular line up. Smooth and nicely efficient, it never gives a negative or questionable result. Had the time today and just wanted to sink myself into the shave. Mission accomplished and now for some more coffee with a side of steak & eggs.

Life is good. Great shaves to all….

A03E3B8F-5E4C-4451-BFBB-6D5CC792C054.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
An exquisite and ultra satisfying shave this morning. The Brass Guerilla with the .84 is such an excellent compromise between the .69 & .99 plates. Think of it as the Goldilocks zone for this particular line up. Smooth and nicely efficient, it never gives a negative or questionable result. Had the time today and just wanted to sink myself into the shave. Mission accomplished and now for some more coffee with a side of steak & eggs.

View attachment 1848740
Ha! I'm actually jealous my friend. Beautiful setting.

View attachment 1848740
Well, Gus....you made me do it. Finally decided to get a bronze .84 to go along with my aluminum .84. Haven't been using my aluminum for awhile since I've had some other new comers to the den, but the last few days have been strictly Guerrilla and my shaves have been outstanding....so it just made sense to get another one in bronze...at least that's what my RAD was whispering in my ear this morning. Order placed....:thumbup:

Well, Gus....you made me do it. Finally decided to get a bronze .84 to go along with my aluminum .84. Haven't been using my aluminum for awhile since I've had some other new comers to the den, but the last few days have been strictly Guerrilla and my shaves have been outstanding....so it just made sense to get another one in bronze...at least that's what my RAD was whispering in my ear this morning. Order placed....:thumbup:
giphy (2).gif

Congrats amigo. I think you'll appreciate the extra weight yet still fully balanced Guerilla in Bronze. Still very smooth but, that extra bit of weight is like the cherry on top on your favorite sunday.

Great shaves to you my friend...:straight:

View attachment 1849319

Congrats amigo. I think you'll appreciate the extra weight yet still fully balanced Guerilla in Bronze. Still very smooth but, that extra bit of weight is like the cherry on top on your favorite sunday.

Great shaves to you my friend...:straight:
Looking forward to the added weight. The aluminum provides an excellent shave, but I do prefer a bit more weight. Now for the wait.

Does anyone know what the blade exposure (per different blade gap) is for the Guerrilla?
I don't see anything on the Guerrilla website!

Does anyone know what the blade exposure (per different blade gap) is for the Guerrilla?
Not sure about the blade exposure but it feels slightly positive on the .84 and more so on the .99. That’s my scientific take anyway…😁

Not sure about the blade exposure but it feels slightly positive on the .84 and more so on the .99. That’s my scientific take anyway…😁
Works for me!
At least I know now that it's probably on the positive side.
Thanks!

^^^^^ What he said. I will also add and this is just my personal experience so far. The .99 definitely has positive blade feel, the most pronounced of the trio that I own. I can go 3-4 days straight using it but, after that 3rd or 4th shave, I have to back off from using it as my skin starts to feel tender and irritated somewhat because of that extra blade feel. Every other day is no issue whatsoever as it mows through whiskers with supreme efficiency. Others might have less sensitivity and can perhaps use it as a daily. The .84 for me strikes a nice balance of smoothness and blade feel rendering it perfect for daily use in my experience. The .69 is nearly a mindless shaver and super comfy when one is not looking for that deep and long lasting BBS or, for the individual that has light growth on a daily basis and values comfort accompanied with ease of use over outright efficiency & cutting prowess. It’s near Gillette Tech territory.

Just my perspective based on my own use amigo. :thumbsup:

^^^^^ What he said. I will also add and this is just my personal experience so far. The .99 definitely has positive blade feel, the most pronounced of the trio that I own. I can go 3-4 days straight using it but, after that 3rd or 4th shave, I have to back off from using it as my skin starts to feel tender and irritated somewhat because of that extra blade feel. Every other day is no issue whatsoever as it mows through whiskers with supreme efficiency. Others might have less sensitivity and can perhaps use it as a daily. The .84 for me strikes a nice balance of smoothness and blade feel rendering it perfect for daily use in my experience. The .69 is nearly a mindless shaver and super comfy when one is not looking for that deep and long lasting BBS or, for the individual that has light growth on a daily basis and values comfort accompanied with ease of use over outright efficiency & cutting prowess. It’s near Gillette Tech territory.

Sounds good!
I'm wondering how much blade feel the .69 would have in the open comb configuration?
I have the Timeless .68 open comb for reference. Wondering if anyone has the Timeless and the Wolfman OC's too?
The Timeless is very smooth but it's neutral exposure prevents it from being as efficient as I'd like for a daily razor.

For perspective, the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca are my typical daily drivers if I don't use a single-edge of some sort.

I was blessed with the opportunity to use an aluminum version with the 0.84 and 0.99 spacing. Both were very good shaves. The 0.99mm version for me was better, especially with heavier whisker growth. With the 0.84mm, I typically needed one additional stroke to get the same result.

For me, I found the 0.99mm version was 'easier' for me to use. I assume this was due to my EJ 3one6 and Muhle Rocca use. Riding the safety bar with two or three days worth of whisker growth, using the 0.99mm to clean-up was child's play. Two strokes would make me dinner or church ready and 3 passes made me BBS! And, it is one of the razors I never clogged with my thick wiry whiskers.

Also no blade chatter even with heavy whisker growth! The 0.99 version is slightly blade forward but, it isn't bad at all for me at least. The 0.84 to me was really good too but, I think it really suits lighter whiskers than I was mowing down. With heavy growth, it definitely took more effort to clean up and was almost like shaving twice versus once with the 0.99 option.

I don't normally think in terms of efficiency but, that minor gap difference was significant for me in terms of efficiency. Part of it was a bit more blade exposure but, I still didn't find it very 'blade forward'. YMMV

The .99 is the same for me. After 3-4 shaves in a row it starts to irritate my skin a little. The .84 is a perfect daily driver for me. If I shaved every other day then the .99 would work great.

Just had my first shave with my new bronze Guerrilla 0.84. I can't add much to what @GlazedBoker has said, but here's my take anyway.

I have had the aluminum 0.99 and 0.84 for several months and really like the shaves, but didn't really care for the light weight....so hence the new heavier razor. The bronze shaves similar to the aluminum, just heavier. The added weight does help a bit with gliding through the tougher parts of my stubble....otherwise, there isn't much of a difference that I can detect. I don't have any other Wolfman razors for comparison, but the Guerrilla is very well made, but intended to be a bit more industrial looking I suppose. The glide of screwing on the handle is super smooth, only to be beaten by my Lambda razors. Tolerances are very good all around.

The shave itself is smooth and efficient. A nice daily razor with the .84 plate. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the 0.99 is extremely efficient for me, but I can't use it more than 3-4 days in a row without getting some irritation. The 0.84, while not quite as effective as the 0.99, allows me to use it daily (which is my line in the sand with all my razors except a couple). It wasn't a fair comparison today as I used my Chors yesterday and that thing cuts hair and takes names. The Guerrilla 0.84 isn't quite on that level, but it provides excellent results that are reminiscent to the Athena, Nodachi, and Rocca. As a matter of fact, it reminded me of the Rocca while shaving. The handle is fat like the Rocca, but the weight is biased to to the handle and not the head. Blade feel seems similar to the Rocca as well. The Guerrilla has it on quality and feel though. Overall a great razor that delivers exceptional shaves and gets one into the Wolfman quality zone without breaking the bank.

IMG_9254.jpeg

Well in looking at the Guerrella Website it too is mage by James, in same shop.

Think he is going after buyer who can not swing Wolfmam premium line.

He is trying to capture buyer of other Razor in $250.00 USD price piint.

Smart business move.

👍

Well in looking at the Guerrella Website it too is mage by James, in same shop.

Think he is going after buyer who can not swing Wolfmam premium line.

He is trying to capture buyer of other Razor in $250.00 USD price piint.

Smart business move.

👍

Similar to the French razors, D'Atler Durdain (sp?). His polished models are like the Wolfman in terms of price but, in the lesser polished options pseudo-Guerilla priced!

Top Bottom