What's new

Another watch question

Currently deployed and broke my watch so time for a new one. The boss lady gave me a $150-$200 budget. The watch will be beat on a bit but not abused. I put in a poll so you fine gentlemen can help me decide. I like all the options so I am not at a loss here. Want something that will work in and out of uniform.Thanks for the help. Here is what I narrowed my choices to:

Seiko Men's SKA389 Kinetic Black Ion Watch

Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch

Casio General Men's Watches Edifice Chronograph EF-543D-1AVDF - WW

Casio Men's EF527D-1AV Edifice Stainless Steel Multi-Function Chronograph Watch

Casio Men's PAG240T-7CR Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Titanium Watch

Orient Men's CEM65001B 'Black Mako' Automatic Dive Watch

My personal preference of the watches you have listed would be the 007. I like its look and I know it is a tough performer. However, any of these watches would work well.

Currently deployed and broke my watch so time for a new one. The boss lady gave me a $150-$200 budget. The watch will be beat on a bit but not abused. I put in a poll so you fine gentlemen can help me decide. I like all the options so I am not at a loss here. Want something that will work in and out of uniform.Thanks for the help. Here is what I narrowed my choices to:

Seiko Men's SKA389 Kinetic Black Ion Watch

Seiko Men's SKX007K2 Diver's Automatic Watch

Casio General Men's Watches Edifice Chronograph EF-543D-1AVDF - WW

Casio Men's EF527D-1AV Edifice Stainless Steel Multi-Function Chronograph Watch

Casio Men's PAG240T-7CR Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Titanium Watch

Orient Men's CEM65001B 'Black Mako' Automatic Dive Watch

Can't go wrong with the Seiko. :thumbup1:
I've known too many people who have broken a kinetic.

If I was deployed and rough on watches I would never buy any mechanical watch. probably a straight quartz. Casio G Shock is your best bet.

I'm with these guys. The 007 would be my choice unless I knew I was going to be reallllly hard on it. In that case, I'd buy a G-shock, save the money, and shop around when I got home. However, I think the 007 could handle the test. I've just never had to put one through something that rough day in and day out (cubicle land for me).

I have had the Black Orient Mako for about 2 weeks now. It is consistently +3mins daily, I have contacted customer service 3 times via email and have not had a response. I am not pleased with it at this time.

I have had a Suunto and it served me well but when I had an issue with it I recieved some terrible customer service. After that experience I swore off Suunto, even though the Core looks sharp. (Read alot of bad reviews on the Core/was it an older model that gave it trouble) I am on staff so other than flying around the AOR I dont get much ground time anymore. RHIP, love the pay but dislike not being in the field! I did think of buying a cheap G-shock and the 007 and count it at one cost. I dont think she would know or care. :001_smile Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Your deployed? then a Pathfinder or Gshock would fit the bill as a decent bit of kit OR a pre owned Suunto could be worth looking at.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Ended up with this bad boy; Seiko Men's SKZ247 5 Sports Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Diver Watch and my lovely wife bought me one of thos atomic G shocks so i wouldnt destroy the good watch. Man I Love that woman!

Commonly known by watch geeks as the 'Frankenmonster'.

Very nice. I notice in watch board threads the 'what do guys who are deployed wear' topics are dominated by G-Shock so you made out nicely. Kudos to your wife.

Yeah this is my 10th deployment and G-shocks rule among the military folks. I broke one on this trip and didnt have a replacement. This is my last deployment as I will retire next year and only have 4 months left on this tour. I wanted something nicer than a gshock which is why i asked for the feedback. Never really had anything nicer than a Casio so I was out in left field on thi one. Thanks for all the help and I think I made a good decisionand yes my wife rules!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Biggest bang for the buck IMHO = Casio quartz. You aren't paying a watch-geek premium for a sought-after brand name. If you want it partly to show off, then either one of the Seikos would be pretty nice. For pure functionality at a great price, go with the Casio, and +1 for the G-shock, which I am surprised was not in your list. It has quite a good track record for durability and practicality at an almost comically low price.

If you go with a quartz, be sure it has a good, fresh battery. A spare battery is not a bad idea if you will be away from the world for a while. Consider a spare watch, in fact, maybe without the band, if you are really trying to cut every unnecessary mg of weight and cc of storage space. A second Casio could also come in handy for bartering or to help out a buddy. Some of the Indiglo Timexes look like decent backups, for that matter.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oh. Well I should have refreshed this page before posting. Decent choice, I think. The G-Shock is all you could ever want and more in a backup watch. Enjoy your Seiko!

Top Bottom