What's new

Another Recipe Wanted..

Does anyone here make Gazpacho? I had a bowl of it in Palm Beach that was to die for and I would LOVE to learn to make my own. From what I have been told you just toss a bunch of veggies in the blender, but that hardly seems like it would produce a bowl of soup like the one I had. What kind of spices would you use for this??

Chilled Gazpacho
yields 10 portions

1 oz. Jalapeño pepper, seeded, small dice
14 oz. Plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, small dice
5 oz. Green peppers, seeded, small dice
2 1/2 oz. Scallions, split, diced
1 3/4 oz. Cucumbers, peeled, seeded, small dice
1 3/4 oz. Celery, small dice
3 tablespoons Basil, fresh, chopped
1 tablespoon Tarragon leaves, fresh, chopped
1 quart Stock (chicken, white beef, or vegetable)
3/4 fluid oz. Extra-virgin Olive oil
3/4 fluid oz. Balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon White pepper, ground
3 drops Tabasco
2 teaspoons Worcestshire sauce

Garnish
1 oz. Bread cubes
1/3 fluid oz. Extra-virgin Olive oil
1 Garlic clove, whole

1. Combine all ingredients except the garnish and puree until smooth (use a blender, juice extractor, processor, or immersion blender)

2. Chill the soup overnight to allow its flavor to develop

3. Prepare croutons by sauteing the garlic clove in the oil, then add the bread cubes and saute until crisp and lightly browned.

4. Serve in chilled soup plates or bowls, garnished with croutons

Don't worry too much about the measurements, just eye-ball it. Good luck!

Here's my recipe--refreshing, gets rave reviews all the time, and it's crunchy, unlike the blender variety. (that's more in the Spanish style, and I've never been too fond of it.)
anyway--real easy to make.
1 large can Tomato Juice
3 cups hearty beef stock
3 oz lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (here's where a sharp knife comes in handy)
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (e.g., Tabasco, Cholula--or my favorite: Melinda's)
1 tsp salt,
some freshly ground pepper.

mix all these ingredients and chill in fridge for at least 4 hours, or in freezer for 1 hour. (if ice develops on top, just break it and mix it in. I think it improves the flavor somewhat when it gets really cold.
now: chop 2 cups green pepper, fairly fine. ( let's say less than 1/4 inch dice.)
2 cups cucumber, same size
2 cups tomato (you'll want a real sharp knife for this so that you don't get mashed tomato. 1/4 inch dice works well here.)
put the diced vegetables into the fridge and let them chill a while.
Final step:

place diced vegetables in soup dishes
pour the soup over.
Enjoy!!!:001_rolle

Chilled Gazpacho
yields 10 portions

1 oz. Jalapeño pepper, seeded, small dice
14 oz. Plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, small dice
5 oz. Green peppers, seeded, small dice
2 1/2 oz. Scallions, split, diced
1 3/4 oz. Cucumbers, peeled, seeded, small dice
1 3/4 oz. Celery, small dice
3 tablespoons Basil, fresh, chopped
1 tablespoon Tarragon leaves, fresh, chopped
1 quart Stock (chicken, white beef, or vegetable)
3/4 fluid oz. Extra-virgin Olive oil
3/4 fluid oz. Balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon White pepper, ground
3 drops Tabasco
2 teaspoons Worcestshire sauce

Garnish
1 oz. Bread cubes
1/3 fluid oz. Extra-virgin Olive oil
1 Garlic clove, whole

1. Combine all ingredients except the garnish and puree until smooth (use a blender, juice extractor, processor, or immersion blender)

2. Chill the soup overnight to allow its flavor to develop

3. Prepare croutons by sauteing the garlic clove in the oil, then add the bread cubes and saute until crisp and lightly browned.

4. Serve in chilled soup plates or bowls, garnished with croutons

Don't worry too much about the measurements, just eye-ball it. Good luck!

Oh My Goodness! This looks incredible! Thank you JoAnna!

JoAnna, why would I have to dice the veggies up small if I am going to puree... wouldn't chunks work the same??

I love gazzpacho and I've made it a lot and experimented with different recipes (yellow tomatos, adding crab, lots of cucumber, lots of peppers).

Tip 1: Don't Make v8

The most useful tip I had was from ina garten -- she recomends explained that overblending was very bad and she's right. No one wants to feel like they're just having V8 with a spoon, I think a course blend is better, but its your taste.

If you do prefer a smoother blend then you should use garnishing to provide some different texture. I've used canned crabmeat which is pretty cheap and gives it a little cheweyness. Just cilantro if you want something light and refreshing, and if you want to do somehting a little daring adding a few chopped up grilled veggies (asparagus particularly) with the smooth soup can be very tasty.

If you really want just pure uncompicated soup then you can thicken -- you can cheat by adding ice cubes (helps make it cool), but its cheating and you'll pay a price with less flavor. The best thing to add is the inside of a bread loaf. I mean scoop out the inside of some crusty bread (especially if its stale) and stick it in the blender with everything else.

Tip 2: Age

The stuff is really good right out of the belnder, it's so fresh tasting. Still it's a soup and it does taste better after sitting for a while (4-24 hours).

Tip 3: Good Spices really makes a difference
You can wake cumin up by sprinking it on a sheet of aluminum foil and sticking it in the oven/toaster-oven for just a little bit (your whole abode will smell for a while if you do this) at around 350 .. you'll see the color change, and it takes about 4 minutes.

Don't be shy with pepper. I like to use white pepper, but that's just my taste. Freshly grinding it from a mill will make for happier taste.

Tip 4: Eating it in hot weather makes it better.

Tip 5: I have made it with canned tomatos, grocery store tomatos, and I've also made it with fresh heirloom tomatos (then-gf supplied through job :) ). Going to heirloom tomatos was a big improvement, going to grocery tomatos was an improvement, but not as much as you might think. If you want to pinch (and I defintely did pinch with success more than once) you can use part canned tomatos (just make sure they're just tomatos in juice without added stuff).

Tip 6: Secret Ingredients

As mentioned aboved adding crab at the end can be yummy.

I like a little kick to my gazpacho -- fresh tasting and a little bit spicey. Mostly I get this with pepper, but adding harissa or some suitable substitute might also be delicious.

I don't like "white gazpacho" (with chicken-borth, almonds), but if you get into gazpacho making it might be worth trying.

Here's my recipe--refreshing, gets rave reviews all the time, and it's crunchy, unlike the blender variety. (that's more in the Spanish style, and I've never been too fond of it.)
anyway--real easy to make.
1 can Tomato Juice
3 oz lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (here's where a sharp knife comes in handy)
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (e.g., Tabasco, Cholula--or my favorite: Melinda's)
1 tsp salt,
some freshly gorund pepper.

mix all these ingredients and chill in fridge for at least 4 hours, or in freezer for 1 hour. (if ice develops on top, just break it and mix it in. I think it improves the flavor somewhat when it gets really cold.
now: chop 2 cups green pepper, fairly fine. ( let's say less than 1/4 inch dice.)
2 cups cucumber, same size
2 cups tomato (you'll want a real sharp knife for this so that you don't get mashed tomato. 1/4 inch dice works well here.)
put the diced vegetables into the fridge and let them chill a while.
Final step:

place diced vegetables in soup dishes
pour the soup over.
Enjoy!!!:001_rolle

This sounds awesome, 90ml is alot of lemon ? but ok if it works it works.
What always bothers me with recipes is like here you mention cups. but no body talks about how big are the cups ? is there something im missing here some international standard for cooking cups? 2 cups tomato would be ? depending on the cup size. id rather see written. take 3 tomatos and dice them.

This sounds like super Spartan food..very healthy must make me some. sounds liek you gonna be 100 for sure eating this stuff. :thumbup:

This sounds awesome, 90ml is alot of lemon ? but ok if it works it works.
What always bothers me with recipes is like here you mention cups. but no body talks about how big are the cups ? is there something im missing here some international standard for cooking cups? 2 cups tomato would be ? depending on the cup size. id rather see written. take 3 tomatos and dice them.

This sounds like super Spartan food..very healthy must make me some. sounds liek you gonna be 100 for sure eating this stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks, Rene. U.S. measure: 1 cup = 8 oz, approx 225 ml.
My own preference: I don't like gazpacho anywhere near the blender. My version is nice and crunchy, and that's how we do it in our family. By the way, I left out 1 essential ingredient, and I edited the recipe that I posted. It's beef stock, and it gives it a rich and hearty flavor.

President Ford wilde metrisch gebruiken, maar President Reagan drong op Engelse metingen aan.

Eric and Henry - seems you two need to put your heads together and come up with the perfect gazpacho recipe. Anyway, thanks for all the input. I enjoyed reading it.

Top Bottom